Cab respray. Can I polish yet? (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi folks.
Giving our 15 year old "Elle" a face lift, how soon can I apply make up after surgery? :giggler:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cellulose or Synthetic.. ?

Depends if it fresh air dried or in an oven (Heated Garage)..

Few weeks at least, unless you are going to cut back and buff up..

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks.
Haven't a clue about paint but it was dried in "oven". Can check with surgeons next week if critical?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You can do it a bit quicker if it has been cooked...

Air dried takes a bit longer and depends on the heat of the sun ..

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You can do it a bit quicker if it has been cooked...

Air dried takes a bit longer and depends on the heat of the sun ..

Good thing it was cooked then, would take an age to dry in the sun at the moment! So what do you recon, give it a month? Meanwhile I assume I can wash her face gently with some soapy bubbles?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they no longer use cellulose paint. once oven cured its basically dry. but allow 2 weeks for it to chemically cure before applying polish or any cutting compounds to remove imperfections in the paint surface

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks Gents. Can I use a wax wash before then?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry missed your post Mo......as already said its all water based paint now due to EU regs etc
once cured its fine to wash it. but just like a new car be gentle. have seen loads of new or resprayed vehicles with lacquer flaking in patches since all the car paints went water based only

matt stevens

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hymer 1991
Exp
If your only hand polishing you can polish once it comes out the shop. Not that you should need to, a flat and polish should be carried out before you get the vehicle back. the curing process will have had more than enough time so don't worry about taking any paint off. I do use cellulose/solvent paints still but only on wheels. All the bodywork nower days will be painted in w/b base coat with 2k lacquer (2parts lacquer 1 part hardener) then baked in an oven. If paint peels, it's due to poor prep or because the paint has broken like a chip. Weathering gets underneath and it will come off. It's only paint, if it doesn't have a sealed surface it won't last.

So basically, crack on polishing. The more you polish the better your paint will look and the better condition it will stay in. If using a machine polisher keep the rpm low and on the move round the panel.

Just a quick last note, when washing after any paintwork, don't use any tfr or other chemicals, it will just strip all the polishes and waxes out your paint. Hence when you sponge it/use your extendable brush will leave surface scratches and swirls. My advice, wash with a decent shampoo then fly over it with a quick wax on wax of motion. Once or twice a year use a decent wax. Little guide to paintwork ;) Matt.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
If your only hand polishing you can polish once it comes out the shop. Not that you should need to, a flat and polish should be carried out before you get the vehicle back. the curing process will have had more than enough time so don't worry about taking any paint off. I do use cellulose/solvent paints still but only on wheels. All the bodywork nower days will be painted in w/b base coat with 2k lacquer (2parts lacquer 1 part hardener) then baked in an oven. If paint peels, it's due to poor prep or because the paint has broken like a chip. Weathering gets underneath and it will come off. It's only paint, if it doesn't have a sealed surface it won't last.

So basically, crack on polishing. The more you polish the better your paint will look and the better condition it will stay in. If using a machine polisher keep the rpm low and on the move round the panel.

Just a quick last note, when washing after any paintwork, don't use any tfr or other chemicals, it will just strip all the polishes and waxes out your paint. Hence when you sponge it/use your extendable brush will leave surface scratches and swirls. My advice, wash with a decent shampoo then fly over it with a quick wax on wax of motion. Once or twice a year use a decent wax. Little guide to paintwork ;) Matt.

Thanks to all for the help, particularly Matt, very thorough. Unfortunately I did use a very week solution of TFR this morning so hope I have not done any damage?.
Elle looks great, particularly with the new decals on both doors and wings. Given her a new lease of life. Now Les want's money spent on her too......!!:giggler:

matt stevens

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hymer 1991
Exp
No it won't have damaged anything, but I do advise using it only on the lower parts, where all the crap builds up. If you wash it often enough you shouldn't need any tfr;) any advice on paintwork/reconditioning/ polishing/wheel refurbishment I'm more than happy to help. As I know nothing about anything else so the knowledge will be returned:) All happy that way!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
No it won't have damaged anything, but I do advise using it only on the lower parts, where all the crap builds up. If you wash it often enough you shouldn't need any tfr;) any advice on paintwork/reconditioning/ polishing/wheel refurbishment I'm more than happy to help. As I know nothing about anything else so the knowledge will be returned:) All happy that way!

Thanks again Matt. I'm sure your knowledge on these matters will be appreciated by many....:clap:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back