Cab radio without having the ignition on (1 Viewer)

Maluisarot

Free Member
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 25
I wanted to be able to have music on at times other than when we're driving. I didn't want the hassle and weight (small I know but it all adds up) of an additional system in the back but I also didn't want the crude method of joining the radio ignition and permanent cables together for fear of waking up one morning to a flat battery.

Step in the 60p relay. I ran a cable from one of the spare aux ports on my CBE DS300 through to the dash, hiding it along side the other cables under the door trims and connected up the relay.

Now when I turn on power at the control board for the hab area the radio gets a 12v feed from the hab battery or ehu. As soon as I turn the key in the ignition, the relay engages and switches the supply to the original 12v feed from the vehicle battery. Ignition off, jumps straight back over to the hab supply.
16180017756512174749843599914380.jpg

No more flat starter battery worries, no loss of music. :LOL: :rock:

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_204526491.jpg
    PXL_20210409_204526491.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 126
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I kept mine simple, wired it to the habitation battery via a switch with an led for the perm +ve and directly to the constant +ve, both via a fuse. also wired in a usb socket in the cab from the habitation battery at the same time so we can sit in the cab with the ignition off and have power points working.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wanted to be able to have music on at times other than when we're driving. I didn't want the hassle and weight (small I know but it all adds up) of an additional system in the back but I also didn't want the crude method of joining the radio ignition and permanent cables together for fear of waking up one morning to a flat battery.

Step in the 60p relay. I ran a cable from one of the spare aux ports on my CBE DS300 through to the dash, hiding it along side the other cables under the door trims and connected up the relay.

Now when I turn on power at the control board for the hab area the radio gets a 12v feed from the hab battery or ehu. As soon as I turn the key in the ignition, the relay engages and switches the supply to the original 12v feed from the vehicle battery. Ignition off, jumps straight back over to the hab supply. View attachment 483151

No more flat starter battery worries, no loss of music. :LOL: :rock:
Our Hymer’s Cab radio is linked to the leisure battery and the front and rear speakers so it works all the time, there is a switch on the dash to disconnect it whilst layed up so there is no power drain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have a small, very light, Bluetooth speaker which we can pair with a smart phone or iPad to listen to radio, downloaded music, podcasts, audio books etc. No need for an extra system and it’s portable. The only down side is it needs charging occasionally.
We do the same. It seems to work for us.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Rewired mine with main power to the leisure battery. Ignition switch line is on a switch between the cab ignition and the leisure 12V. This means any drainage comes off the leisure battery and I can manually turn on, or just leave it as ignition switched.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Every time I fit a head unit I wire them to the hab battery via the distribution unit.
Wish I could do stuff like that, I wouldn’t know where to start, it is a right pia having to have the ignition on to have the radio on🤷🏼‍♂️ Still haven’t got my phone working through mine, I’ve given up✋✋
Drop a valve on number three cylinder I’d have a crack at that, engine out, strip down, no problem👍

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Wish I could do stuff like that, I wouldn’t know where to start, it is a right pia having to have the ignition on to have the radio on🤷🏼‍♂️ Still haven’t got my phone working through mine, I’ve given up✋✋
Drop a valve on number three cylinder I’d have a crack at that, engine out, strip down, no problem👍
Ditto! Well,truthfully,the last time I took an engine to bits it was a Morris minor in about 1971,but having had an old banger in bits it does teach you the basics.

For the radio,I’ve put some free apps on my iPad so I can listen to the radio without having the ignition on. It works via the tinternet apparently.......god only knows how!!!!!!!! Now I worry if I’m draining my internet “allowance” when linked to iPhone so the duchess has got me using an unlocked mifi thingy.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ditto! Well,truthfully,the last time I took an engine to bits it was a Morris minor in about 1971,but having had an old banger in bits it does teach you the basics.

For the radio,I’ve put some free apps on my iPad so I can listen to the radio without having the ignition on. It works via the tinternet apparently.......god only knows how!!!!!!!! Now I worry if I’m draining my internet “allowance” when linked to iPhone so the duchess has got me using an unlocked mifi thingy.
Likewise, bluetooth speaker with Greatest Hits Radio app on phone. Haven’t sussed out the avtex sound bar yet with phone! God I’m such a Luddite🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our radio goes off with ignition but you can switch it back on again and it stays on hours I think, never timed it. There's a setting somewhere on some radios you can set the time allowed on 👍

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Our 2016 Ducatto based van can be set to stay on for up to 3 hours on the radio settings.

OP
OP
Maluisarot

Maluisarot

Free Member
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 25
Might work for some but we go out in the van to get away from everyone and thankfully that usually means no mobile signal either :ROFLMAO:

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Every time I fit a head unit I wire them to the hab battery via the distribution unit.
Lenny, if I wire the radio to the Hab batteries so I can use it when parked up without turning on the ignition, is the battery drain for memory retention so low that I can ignore it and not fit a ON/OFF switch. I do have 300w solar. We used to have a Winnebago View which had a CAB/HOUSE switch which was brilliant but that's apparently not used in Europe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, if I wire the radio to the Hab batteries so I can use it when parked up without turning on the ignition, is the battery drain for memory retention so low that I can ignore it and not fit a ON/OFF switch. I do have 300w solar. We used to have a Winnebago View which had a CAB/HOUSE switch which was brilliant but that's apparently not used in Europe.
The memory circuit draws only a few millamps so you wouldn't notice it.

There is a problem with a lot of the modern units is they don't turn off but go into standby some like the Pioneer's draw a few amps in standby.
I would measure it then decide if it need a switch in the main power feed.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
The memory circuit draws only a few millamps so you wouldn't notice it.

There is a problem with a lot of the modern units is they don't turn off but go into standby some like the Pioneer's draw a few amps in standby.
I would measure it then decide if it need a switch in the main power feed.
Thanks so much for that. After I posted the question I did find a loom incorporating a On/Off switch costing £25 from SCR Distribution, but even though my unit is a Pioneer I have never ever noticed any drain on the starting battery as the solar panel keeps it at 100% all the time. I probably wouldn't need it, but the switch might be "nice to have" making it more convenient to use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks so much for that. After I posted the question I did find a loom incorporating a On/Off switch costing £25 from SCR Distribution, but even though my unit is a Pioneer I have never ever noticed any drain on the starting battery as the solar panel keeps it at 100% all the time. I probably wouldn't need it, but the switch might be "nice to have" making it more convenient to use.
It 's a common problem on Carthago' s fitted with double DIN Pioneer units. They wire it to the starter battery via a switch on the control panel if you don't turn the switch off at night quite common to have a flat starter battery in the morning especially if there is no sun.
Pioneers appear to be the worst I don't have any problems with my Clarion it has a proper on/off switch.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Lenny. If I had known that before it was fitted a few years ago I would have been more careful about the spec. It was so expensive I just assumed it would have an ON/OFF switch.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I'm the same. I work these days on the KISS theory so I've just got a, rechargeable battery, portable radio which I can use anywhere, even outside! :LOL:

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I just use my phone to get internet radio. Not the best sound quality, but it'll do.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'm the same. I work these days on the KISS theory so I've just got one, using rechargeable batteries, portable radio which I can use anywhere, even outside! :LOL:
I should have added, that it can be plugged into the mains when on EHU. :giggle: (Note: it uses rechargeable (or normal) batteries) brilliant stereo!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My Rapido Van has a switch on the dash so that the Pioneer radio can be powered by the hab battery when the engine isn't running.

It's a cheap and obvious feature for MH converters to include as standard. It must cost a lot more to provide speakers in the bed area.

Next time you visit the NEC, ask the manufacturer's marketing person why this switch isn't a standard feature on their humungously expensive new models.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I kept mine simple, wired it to the habitation battery via a switch with an led for the perm +ve and directly to the constant +ve, both via a fuse. also wired in a usb socket in the cab from the habitation battery at the same time so we can sit in the cab with the ignition off and have power points working.
Ditto, works a charm.

Feb 28, 2023
Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
I'm a relative Newbie
The previous Owner/s have been at the wiring as I can only use the Radio when driving if I press the 'on' button on the Power Board and that of course includes the reversing camera. So, I assume wired to the Leisure Batteries.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My Rapido Van has a switch on the dash so that the Pioneer radio can be powered by the hab battery when the engine isn't running.

It's a cheap and obvious feature for MH converters to include as standard. It must cost a lot more to provide speakers in the bed area.

Next time you visit the NEC, ask the manufacturer's marketing person why this switch isn't a standard feature on their humungously expensive new models.
Same on my rapido..cheap little black switch to the right of the unit tells it not to use leisure. Brilliant speakers and sound throughout the van though.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a local auto electrical expert wire in a loom with a switch that allows me run the radio off the house batteries with the ignition off. Nice tidy quick job.
He asked me who had fitted the radio and then showed me how badly it had been done with so much excess wiring behind the radio frame and the radio that they were not properly located and simply pulled out together. Why is that not standard on a leisure vehicle that a dealer is retrofitting a radio/GPS/back up monitor to?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back