LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Has anyone had any experience of using one of the foam mattress type folding beds that can be used in the cab ? Campsleep is one I've found here:

I know there's another type that suspends from the grab handles and is more like a hammock but with a rigid frame base, similar money.

Just also came across Cabbunk from the UK.

Anyone ever used one and can comment about them ?

It's for our 9yr old that getting a bit old for the "Monkey bed" as we call the sofa that converts in the hab, she usually wakes up with 2 dogs on her there...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you turn the cab seats a quarter turn so they are facing each other then use a board between the centre and shaped cushions surely you could make your own a lot, lot cheaper and having the seats turned like that would give a head and foot board and make it more 'cosy' for the occupant.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I suppose the Campsleep would give extra inches as it makes use of full width of cab however do they make for RHD? (unless you have LHD of course).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If you turn the cab seats a quarter turn so they are facing each other then use a board between the centre and shaped cushions surely you could make your own a lot, lot cheaper and having the seats turned like that would give a head and foot board and make it more 'cosy' for the occupant.

No swivel seats unfortunately as the floor levels are quite different due to the under floor insulation and storage, otherwise that idea may have been workable.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I suppose the Campsleep would give extra inches as it makes use of full width of cab however do they make for RHD? (unless you have LHD of course).

Yes LHD here so that part is OK. Seems to be lots of space on the Ducato version, certainly enough for a midget, sorry 9yr old.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes LHD here so that part is OK. Seems to be lots of space on the Ducato version, certainly enough for a midget, sorry 9yr old.
Looks like a neat and comfy solution. I haven’t looked at the price mind you!:whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like a neat and comfy solution. I haven’t looked at the price mind you!:whistle:
Don't ... you'll get upset as t how much they can charge for some cushions! :D2

Personally I'd get some cushions made by a local upholstery company and get the covers to blend in more with my camper (well, in reality I'd make my own but you get the gist!).

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Don't ... you'll get upset as t how much they can charge for some cushions! :D2

Personally I'd get some cushions made by a local upholstery company and get the covers to blend in more with my camper (well, in reality I'd make my own but you get the gist!).
Ok I’ve looked! Wow! I’m sure I could do a decent diy job too.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Having now concluded that a mattress type solution is better than the hammock versions like the Cabbunk it seems we should go for a Campsleep...

Oh wait you guys have just added another job to by DIY camper list:cry:

I'm thinking of memory foam and some 10mm ply and just keeping the shape as a simple long rectangle.

Now, how good is my sewing:censored:

Maybe a trip to Ikea to see if they have any fitted bottom sheets with a side zip, could use that as the template to work to.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Having now concluded that a mattress type solution is better than the hammock versions like the Cabbunk it seems we should go for a Campsleep...

I'm thinking of memory foam and some 10mm ply and just keeping the shape as a simple long rectangle.

Maybe a trip to Ikea to see if they have any fitted bottom sheets with a side zip, could use that as the template to work to.
You can get zipped sleeping bag liners ... (y) eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...d=m570.l1313&_nkw=sleeping+bag+liner&_sacat=0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just remembered ... I actually have a new fleece sleeping bag liner, dark blue in it's bag, measures 80cm wide x 194cm long, open top end, zipped side and bottom ... any good?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

One long piece maybe difficult to manoeuvre within the Camper and store during day (depending on your layout). However no good having 2 pieces because will collapse in middle! A bit of template making may be required.:D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Another bonus of making your own, is that maybe you will be able to put it in place from inside. The Campsleep one seems to require someone fitting it whilst standing outside in the rain.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK so I can confirm that an Ikea basic mattress (Malvik) can easily be adapted to fit in the cab, and only for about £75 !!!

It need some cut outs around the glovebox and shortening bit it fits pretty well and seems not to need any central support, least not with a 30kg 9yr on it.... can easily add some later on. The mattress is rather large to manoeuvre but it's not too difficult and the set up is super quick, all of 1min including throwing the duvet over it !

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Another bonus of making your own, is that maybe you will be able to put it in place from inside. The Campsleep one seems to require someone fitting it whilst standing outside in the rain.

Yep with the above you do it all from the inside.

Anyway what's rain ?

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Hi Ridgeway how did you get on with your diy cab mattress? We are just thinking about doing similar :giggle:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Rather than getting a cab-bed if you go on eBay or Amazon and look up pet cab beds they are much cheaper...

We have used ours and it's fine, tricky to get in and out off for adults but kids would be fine.

Cheers James

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Been using our DIY/IKEA solution for 3yrs now and it still works well. Our 9yr old is now 12yrs old and is still very comfortable in her cab/cocoon😃.

We did shape the mattress so it fitted snugly around the centre console and also added som hardboard to the mattress back to stiffen it slightly. When not in use it goes on the Luton bed👍🏻

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Been using our DIY/IKEA solution for 3yrs now and it still works well. Our 9yr old is now 12yrs old and is still very comfortable in her cab/cocoon😃.

We did shape the mattress so it fitted snugly around the centre console and also added som hardboard to the mattress back to stiffen it slightly. When not in use it goes on the Luton bed👍🏻
Sounds great 👍 thanks for the reply.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Rather than getting a cab-bed if you go on eBay or Amazon and look up pet cab beds they are much cheaper...

We have used ours and it's fine, tricky to get in and out off for adults but kids would be fine.

Cheers James
Sounds like a possibility, I’ll look into that, thanks.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Jamesh do you have a link to the pet cab bed you use, please? I can’t find anything that looks suitable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back