Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Hi All

Seen a nice van, but doesn't have aircon. How much use is this with 2 kids in the back. Have just come back from foreign land where the high 30s was the norm, driving a car without aircon would have been hell, but I can see that an ordinary small engine driven unit isn't going to man enough for a whole van, so do you have to partition of the cabin and let the kids cook in solitude in the back, or do you just have nice cool draught chilling you wrist and elbow joints?

Is it worth holding out for or in reality is it not that much use?

Thanks in advance.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have dash airco but its not much use past the driver and pasenger seats.We have been known to run the genny whilst driving and run the roof airco when its very sticky.

Upvote 0

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
We only have dash air con on the Chieftain, however, on our recent trip to France our son joined us for a week. Whilst travelling he was layed out in the lounge reading. When it got hot (and it did) we put the air con on, set the heater controls to dash only (i.e. no feet) angled the centre dash vents so cold air passed between the driver and passenger and set the fan speed to second position (nice and quiet) Not only did this keep Kath and I comfortable, our son also said he noticed the difference. Kath and I did not get frost bite on our arms!!! Didn't notice any change in mpg either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Think this can depend on the base unit. I have never thought that they were that effective till I got the current van, did not order it but dash aircon came as a standard fitting on a Transit and I must say either the others I have driven have been shot or this one is particularly good, if this a sample then I would order in future. Well pleased.:thumb:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For European travel, I wouldn't be without cab air con, driving in the heat is very tiring and makes you stressed, however, we seldom if ever use the roof units.. better to get acclimatized than sit indoors with an air con on.. can't see the point..

Jim

Upvote 0

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
The big disadvantage of not having AC is having to have the Cab Windows open at speed the noise will eventually get on your nerves. The actual heat build up seems to depend on the size of the vehicle at the cab i.e. with or without a Luton, is it a large windscreen i.e. A Class or a Panel Van. We have had all three and the Panel Van benefits most from AC.
Remember AC requires regular running to maintain so can be a nuisance starting up every 2-4 weeks in winter.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
alot of trucks have a very cheap to buy /run cooler that fits the roof vent hole. you see them at truck shows. lots in spain etyc .use alot of water n work on evaporation principle.

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
saw a van at the service stop the other day, he had a tumble dryer vent pipe from the dash vent going back to the rear passanger seat. he said it works ok?

Upvote 0

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
We got back from Spain last week, on the trip we drove from West to East Coast Spain, in the middle the temperature in the back of the bus while driving reached 37C :Eeek: with windows and vents opens. I wasnt a funster that day :roflmto:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you travel in a hot climate just pull down the window blinds, if the sun cant get in it cant get as hot......a few degrees cooler inside than with open blinds

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or only fit small windows high up .i think ive seen that done . i wonder where. alan.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not good for the cab.was broken in at tagazoute.back window of cab and the rubber went missing along with radio, walky talky,s coats ,etc .same spot as 11 years ago when back window of vw went missing. could fit prison bars but not nice. even got my ferrari overalls keep your eyes out for a moroccan mechanic that looks like a formula 1 mechanic. he probably as got mine. (basssd).never mind .

Upvote 0

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i wouldn't buy any vehicle without aircon. Well OK maybe a motorcycle:Doh:

i always thought aircon was just to keep us cool on the 2 hot days per year in the UK but it clears the condensation on the windows quickly. in winter i think that's a safety issue.

the boss never turns the aircon off in her car winter or summer.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would go for roof aircon fitted correctly.

We have roof aircon and it has a waeco inverter which allows it to be used on 12v. it can also be used whilst travelling. Ok so it kills the batteries very quickly (i need to upgrade them) but it will run for 45 mins before doing so. I then turn it off keep driving in the van which is by now cool and the batteries recharge.

Alternately I am thinking of fitting an alternator kit I have heard about which kicks in more amps to the hab batteries, anyone know anything about this?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Thanks All

I think I'll hold out for the aircon.... I feel the heat in the middle of winter.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back