C1 renewal forms - confusion. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know that normally one needs to send D2 and D4 I am overseas and do not have a D2 but the D47(PU) renewal form has arrived at friends.

But DVLA information is confusing(surprise, surprise!!). It seems to say that if one receives a D47(PU) form one can use this to apply for renewal.

Does this mean that one can send the D47(PU), instead of the D2, plus the D4 medical of course?

A quick definitive response would be appreciated.

Geoff

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its not even easy renewing in this Country we have been scratching our heads over the renewal forms this weekend

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I spoke to someone at DVLA in May this year regarding using form d47p (I've never heard of d47pu) I was told then that d47p was for use when renewing a vocational C1, ie a licence obtained by passing a specific driving test, hgv, psv etc and it could NOT be used for renewing/retaining an acquired C1 ie one that had been acquired by grandfather rights by passing a driving test before 1997.

The DVLA form D2 cannot be downloaded and printed as it has a built in clear 'cellophane ' window in which to mount a photograph if required.

20200603_090226.jpg

Good Luck.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
D47 is only for renewing a standard licence the D2 replaces it if you need a C1.

My mates wife got a D2 from the local WH Smiths recently I could see if I can get one and post it to you.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I believe most DVLA form are available to download and print from the web. Have just checked and found D2 at

D2 Form - Fill Out and Sign Printable PDF Template | signNow
www.signnow.com › Forms Li

Yes I have seen that but when you open it goes to Form D9, which is for holders of non GB licences - another DVLA cock-up.

As namwaldog says:

'The DVLA form D2 cannot be downloaded and printed as it has a built in clear 'cellophane ' window in which to mount a photograph if required.'

There again DVLA are not helpful, because if one authorises them to use one's passport photo the 'cellophane' window is not needed, so why not let that version be downloaded.

Geoff

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just fill in and sign ALL forms but bin the D4 medical one. NO medicals are required for 12 months due to Covid.
Fill mine in 2 weeks ago and received a new license within 7 days. It's valid until November 2021 when I will then need a medical unless we still have covid.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I have just received my renewal paperwork, my question is the dvla know I retained my C1 when I reached 70 so why do they not send the correct forms out at renewal. Are they expecting us all to give up our C1 entitlement when we reach 70. Now during the second lockdown where do they think that I am able to get a medical, getting to see a doctor round these parts is akin to winning the lottery.

(question answered whilst I was ranting)

Thankyou.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just fill in and sign ALL forms but bin the D4 medical one. NO medicals are required for 12 months due to Covid.
Fill mine in 2 weeks ago and received a new license within 7 days. It's valid until November 2021 when I will then need a medical unless we still have covid.

Could you please quote source for that as the original notice saying similar did not cover C1 licences obtained via grandfather rights.

Do you have C1 via a test or via grandfather rights?

If no D4 required why can we not renew via internet?

Geoff

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My licence is for all classes including class 1 hgv. As I'm over 70 a medical is required each year. The application cannot be done via the Internet as all forms have to be returned and signed especially the health declaration.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
In fact i am do just that.
Today i confirmed my medical at D4Drivers Chester at 9.30 Sat. The D4 form is with me duly filled in in preparation. D4Drivers did say they usually have forms there but it would be better to be sure and get ones own. D4 WAS downloaded from the D4Drivers web site.
The D2 cannot be downloaded. I went to the post office to get mine. Now filled in in preparation.
However, from overseas i wouldn't know the procedure.
Good luck.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Shows how confusing it can be. I was told that because i am applying for my C1 to reinstated as i let it lapse at 70 in Dec last year i would have to have a medical hence the appointment. ?????

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My licence is for all classes including class 1 hgv. As I'm over 70 a medical is required each year. The application cannot be done via the Internet as all forms have to be returned and signed especially the health declaration.

So you hold a Class 1 HGV you must have passed a test and they would have included all categories below C (incl. C1)

That type of licence based on a test can indeed be renewed this year without a medical D4 and is limited to 1 year.

However, unless there is new information, on C1 licences held by virtue of holding a category B licence before 1st Jan 1997, the rule above did not apply when first announced.

My apologies for quoting D47PU this was based on my friend receiving my post and was misheard and should have been D47P. which as stated above can be used for licences based on tests, but not 'grandfater rights' of a licence held before 1997

So I think I am back to what I thought originally - that I have to send D2 and D4.

For Lenny,

Thanks for offer to send D2, but my friend has got one, after queuing 1/2 hour at Canterbury P.O., and it is in the post, but likely to take 10 days to arrive in Poland.

Geoff

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So you hold a Class 1 HGV you must have passed a test and they would have included all categories below C (incl. C1)

That type of licence based on a test can indeed be renewed this year without a medical D4 and is limited to 1 year.

However, unless there is new information, on C1 licences held by virtue of holding a category B licence before 1st Jan 1997, the rule above did not apply when first announced.

My apologies for quoting D47PU this was based on my friend receiving my post and was misheard and should have been D47P. which as stated above can be used for licences based on tests, but not 'grandfater rights' of a licence held before 1997

So I think I am back to what I thought originally - that I have to send D2 and D4.

For Lenny,

Thanks for offer to send D2, but my friend has got one, after queuing 1/2 hour at Canterbury P.O., and it is in the post, but likely to take 10 days to arrive in Poland.

Geoff
Best of luck. They certainly aren't making things easy for anyone. As covid lengthens a lot of companies are using it to pass on incompetent customer service.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Geoff,

I don't think you can blame DVLA for the link on the signnow.com website.
That organisation is obviously a private company with no obvious links to DVLA.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
nicholsong
Geoff,
You may well have this info. regarding driving whilst your application is at DVLA under Sec 88 RTA 1988.

I dont know how to link to .pdf files so here is a screenshot of a Google search.
Enter the details circled in green in your Google search.
The link you need is the one circled in red.

20201102_171752.jpg

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff,

I don't think you can blame DVLA for the link on the signnow.com website.
That organisation is obviously a private company with no obvious links to DVLA.

Sorry, had not seen the web address.

Geoff

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nicholsong
Geoff,
You may well have this info. regarding driving whilst your application is at DVLA under Sec 88 RTA 1988.

I dont know how to link to .pdf files so here is a screenshot of a Google search.
Enter the details circled in green in your Google search.
The link you need is the one circled in red.

View attachment 437953

Somewhere on the DVLA website they say that the provision of RTA 1988 s. 88 does not apply to driving outside the UK. I am not likely to be driving anywhere in the near future and hopefully I will get my new licence before expiry on 5th Jan.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back