C1 Renewal Confusion (2 Viewers)

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
I'm 73 and presently hold a C1 licence to drive my 3.8t Hymer. The licence expired 10/10/2020 and the 11 month extension DVLA applied ends 10/9/2021

I just got the D2/D4 forms and I'm starting the renewal process -- but I'm now really confused by a statement in the D2 notes that says if you are 65 or over you need a D4 every year. I'd be assuming that I'd get a 3-year licence if medical OK.

The DVLA "Driving a Motorhome" web page doesn't say anything about this, my confusion comes from the bit in the D2 notes that says D4 needed ".. if ANY of the following ..."

Can anyone help clarify?

John
D4 confusion.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021
LE3 8GL, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think this explains all requirements for a C1 license for motorhome there was no license extension for this category section 88 is a way of reinstating a lapsed License.

If we’re fortunate enough, we’ll all come to this – as we approach the big seven-zero (around 90 days beforehand) – a letter will arrive from the DVLA, informing us we need to renew our driving licences, enclosing form D46P. What happens after may be a doddle or a nightmare, and much depends on which vehicles you wish to drive in your dotage.

First thing – don’t ignore that letter, however tempting that might be. If you do, your licence will automatically expire on your 70th birthday. Don’t let that happen, but do try and renew it as close to your birthday as is reasonably practicable. Renewing your licence is free, and you can do it online; you may need a new mugshot, but you’ll be advised if this is so.

Naturally, if you have a notifiable medical condition you’ll have to reveal this, and the severity and prognosis of the condition will be taken into account – but this applies to all of us, at all times, whether our licence is close to expiry or not. Once your licence is renewed, it will run for three years, and the process is then repeated – until it’s no longer needed.

Assuming you’re fit, and if you drive just a car, or a campervan or motorhome up to 3,500kg GVW, there really shouldn’t be a big problem, with the new licence coming through quickly, dating from the day it was processed – not your 70th birthday, which seems rather unfair.

Grandfather Rights​

So far, simple. However, let’s assume that you were lucky enough to have passed your driving test before 1 January 1997. In that case, you will have ‘grandfather rights’, and be entitled to drive a considerably wider range of vehicles than those who passed their test later; they’ll generally be restricted to driving vehicles up to 3,500kg (Class B), and car/trailer combinations up to that weight (Class BE). Of particular relevance to motorhomers, your licence should cover Class C1 and Class C1E – the right to drive vehicles of between 3,500kg and 7,500kg, plus trailers.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I (age 73) received my licence renewal with C1 recently using D4D for my medical, only because of the speed of access to them compared to that for access to my GP. This took around 10 weeks which the DVLA websites states as the possible time for an application. I have no medical complications.

On the other hand my husband's application (age 76) received, in the same time scale, a referral to the DVLA medical department as he had been diagnosed with and treated for cancer in 2013. He was given notification of full remission in 2019 after 5 years of MRI clear scans. He also used D4D and my interpretation is that as D4D do not have access to your medical records the DVLA therefore wanted proof of the declaration that John has an all clear. His previous applications at ages 70 and 73 were granted without any medical referral and the only difference was that both times we used our GP for the medical. I think that if you have any medical conditions and can wait for a GP medical it could save you time in the long run.

We found the DVLA helpful the couple of times we phoned for advice on form completion.

Good luck with the renewal, Audrey

Upvote 0

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
According to a friend who is just about to turn 70 and was struggling with the forms, the clearest explanation he found was on one of the Camping and Caravan Club data sheets.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2013
liverpool
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar 800
Exp
I'm 73 and presently hold a C1 licence to drive my 3.8t Hymer. The licence expired 10/10/2020 and the 11 month extension DVLA applied ends 10/9/2021

I just got the D2/D4 forms and I'm starting the renewal process -- but I'm now really confused by a statement in the D2 notes that says if you are 65 or over you need a D4 every year. I'd be assuming that I'd get a 3-year licence if medical OK.

The DVLA "Driving a Motorhome" web page doesn't say anything about this, my confusion comes from the bit in the D2 notes that says D4 needed ".. if ANY of the following ..."

Can anyone help clarify?

JohnView attachment 519791
I been doing mine.every year but I did have a heart attack when I was 60 am 69 and just done my medical and sent it all off when you reach 70 you do your medical every year to keep your C1. 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back