C1 Renewal Confusion (1 Viewer)

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
I'm 73 and presently hold a C1 licence to drive my 3.8t Hymer. The licence expired 10/10/2020 and the 11 month extension DVLA applied ends 10/9/2021

I just got the D2/D4 forms and I'm starting the renewal process -- but I'm now really confused by a statement in the D2 notes that says if you are 65 or over you need a D4 every year. I'd be assuming that I'd get a 3-year licence if medical OK.

The DVLA "Driving a Motorhome" web page doesn't say anything about this, my confusion comes from the bit in the D2 notes that says D4 needed ".. if ANY of the following ..."

Can anyone help clarify?

John
D4 confusion.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There is something not right about the bit of the form you have shown in #1.
That bit of the form shows 8 bullet points. My interpretation is, points 2 and 3 are part of point 1, and are nothing to do with the rest of the points. For your situation, ie not a professional driver, only wishing to retain your right to drive over 3.5T after the age of 70, you need to submit a D2 and D4 every 3 years. It doesn't say every 3 years in those notes, but your new licence will have an expiry date of 3 years.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
That bit of the form shows 8 bullet points. My interpretation is, points 2 and 3 are part of point 1, and are nothing to do with the rest of the points. For your situation, ie not a professional driver, only wishing to retain your right to drive over 3.5T after the age of 70, you need to submit a D2 and D4 every 3 years. It doesn't say every 3 years in those notes, but your new licence will have an expiry date of 3 years.
See post #25.
Clear as mud.
The whole set up is a national disgrace. :banghead:

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think it's intentional. They don't want you to renew your over 3.5T rights. So they make on-line renewal easy, but you lose your over 3.5T rights. Then they make the written renewal difficult, and write confusing ambiguous notes on the form. The DVLA has several postcodes. If you use the wrong postcode it goes to the wrong department, and it's a lottery when, if ever, it reaches the right department.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
See post #25.
Clear as mud.

Richard.
Hoping you are right Autorouter. I managed to get an eye test appointment last week (a cancellation, the earliest date my optician had offered was 13 September) and I'm waiting for my GP surgery to tell me when I can see the doctor for the rest of the form .....

One bit of good news, I went on to the DVLA webchat yesterday to enquire whether I could drive once my forms are sent off to DVLA and got referred to https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf which, I'm pleased to say, is a well-written and clear information leaflet on the matter.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hoping you are right Autorouter. I managed to get an eye test appointment last week (a cancellation, the earliest date my optician had offered was 13 September) and I'm waiting for my GP surgery to tell me when I can see the doctor for the rest of the form .....

One bit of good news, I went on to the DVLA webchat yesterday to enquire whether I could drive once my forms are sent off to DVLA and got referred to https://assets.publishing.service.g...i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf which, I'm pleased to say, is a well-written and clear information leaflet on the matter.
That’s all OK unless you want to drive abroad. Section 88 is only valid in the U.K.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
That’s all OK unless you want to drive abroad. Section 88 is only valid in the U.K.
You're right. Luckily, I don't feel any need to drive abroad in my van nowadays .. the joy of roaming Europe in the 1980/90s is well behind me. A CL and an OS map are as much as I need to have fun .. so, thank goodness for Section 88 just as it is.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It’s simply not fit for purpose but the DVLA is not answerable to anyone from what l can see not even Grant S.
I am 76 and still in Business and therefore still work we do business along the Costas in Spain so l could argue that l am on a sales trip visiting clients,so, l apply for a C1 renewal and in doing so l am denied the right to work as l cannot drive abroad.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I would never use my GP. When I asked (for my first application 3 years or so ago) I was told the wait would be up to three months and cost £120. I got an appointment with D4D within the week. Cost £50. Same people £55 this time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

irwell2

Free Member
Oct 31, 2017
Funster No
I would never use my GP. When I asked (for my first application 3 years or so ago) I was told the wait would be up to three months and cost £120. I got an appointment with D4D within the week. Cost £50. Same people £55 this time.
Thanks Tony, I've seen both sides of the discussion on which to choose .. just at the moment, for me, D4D would be a complication, but I might well have to do that if the GP delay continues. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Sent mine off 22nd of June, it was sent back Sep 17th as Ihad not included a photo. In spite of giving the my passport number. the current photo was only three years old as this is my second time (nearly 73) when I renewed my wife’s did the same re passport details renewed no problem. On mine I queried this and the reply said they cannot access the passport photo. Yet if you go online to renew without the C1 they can use the passport photo??

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sent mine off 22nd of June, it was sent back Sep 17th as Ihad not included a photo. In spite of giving the my passport number. the current photo was only three years old as this is my second time (nearly 73) when I renewed my wife’s did the same re passport details renewed no problem. On mine I queried this and the reply said they cannot access the passport photo. Yet if you go online to renew without the C1 they can use the passport photo??
I had the same sent a new photo, a few weeks later licence came back with the same photo as my passport and a return of the new photo and my £17 🤷‍♂️
You could not make it up 😒

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Same as happened to us. Wife renewed on line without C1 and used passport photo, but I couldn't use mine to get the C1. The difference is that my wife's application was handled automatically by a computer. Mine had to get a person involved, and that is where it all falls down,. This just confirms what I already suspected, that the DVLA's computers are more intelligent than their staff.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The passport can be used for proof of identity but the D2 form states that a photograph must be enclosed if there is less than 56 days to run on the old license. Perhaps it is the 56 day rule that is catching some people out.
D0B02280-465A-43AA-9EE2-85DF8B5E9A00.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have just renewed, medical sorted by D4D I took the forms I got from the post office, the doctor for D4D said they are the old forms so no good, he had set of new forms so no problem, sent the forms off with a photo that was in June, new licence valid for 3 years arrived yestarday.
D4D cost £55, no charge from DVLA.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have just renewed, medical sorted by D4D I took the forms I got from the post office, the doctor for D4D said they are the old forms so no good, he had set of new forms so no problem, sent the forms off with a photo that was in June, new licence valid for 3 years arrived yestarday.
D4D cost £55, no charge from DVLA.
Only 3 months they must be pulling the stops out, took 8 months for mine that came back in Late April...

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I might be getting close then, sent off over 7 weeks ago licence actually runs out on the 12th which made me resist going on my trip using copies etc.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Tee Hee - I say this because I have always had a 3 year medical licence from the day I passed my driving test. I can tell you it isn't only renewing your C1 when you happen to reach age 70 but have no medical probs that is very confusing - they do it with all the renewal forms for medical licences too, always have done and always will do.

I am an insulin user for my Type 1 diabetes and when you tick something by mistake cos no-one sat and explained what they're getting at by asking this question, they then usually start making you jump through hoops. I did exactly that once about 20 years ago. They decided with me to check my eyesight, so I was expecting them to tell me to see an optician and the optician to tell them whatever they asked him to check. Oooh no! - you need to make an appt with your closest driving test centre to confirm you can still read a No plate at X metres. (Not logical, said Mr Spock) Tell us where you are going to do this and we'll fax them the form to reply on. OK - nearest one is on Exhall Road, Bedworth so I'll go there. Gave it a couple of days, rang Test Centre - no, they hadn't had a Fax about me. Rang DVLA - OK we'll send it again, give that half an hour. Rang test centre - nope, not a peep out of their fax. - and this went on for a few weeks. Eventually one of the testers asked me what I'd got on that afternoon - nothing as it happens, why? Get here at 2pm ish please says he and ask for (name). I went at 2pm was asked to wait - and HE apparently then rang DVLA and asked them to fax it to him NOW please. Then asked me to go outside with him, tape measure under arm (old sort in circular leather case with windy handle) saying as we left the waiting room that the form had arrived and if they wanted to be precise well so he would be - and said he knew very well that exactly 30m would be smack in the middle of either passing road - so I chose the quieter one and told him I thought I'd feel better crossing it then we could both stand on the pavement the other side thanks, which we did - I said Choose a car for me then - Silver saloon says he. What, that silver Citroen C4 with the ashtray I emptied yesterday Reg no ..... and registered in my name - or the red ..... Reg or the blue ... Reg ... either side of it? said I giggling. Any/All of them suits me fine! he replied. We walked back over the road and he took me upstairs through the Staff Only door and faxed it straight back to em with it duly completed and stamped officially. He wanted me to witness he'd done it - but I never ever doubted their efficiency anyway in the first place - and said so.

My renewed licence arrived within the week, so I rang and left a message for him, which I sincerely hope he received.

Hence I conclude that neither Covid nor anything else affects their inefficiency and confusing questions - it's inbuilt and always has been, far as I know. But, I've only held a full licence for 35 ish years ......... so what do I know!

Upvote 0
Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
I got my C1 renewed in June when I turned 70. I agree it was a confusing form. I sent in my medical and the rest of the form plus my £17 which I'm sure it said I needed to pay. I fully expected the license to last just 1 year. Well the license came back after a wait of 7 weeks but it was valid for the next 3 years and I got my £17 refunded as the renewal was actually free!. All good in the end but oh so complicated to do!!

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
T708sl
I'm 73 and presently hold a C1 licence to drive my 3.8t Hymer. The licence expired 10/10/2020 and the 11 month extension DVLA applied ends 10/9/2021

I just got the D2/D4 forms and I'm starting the renewal process -- but I'm now really confused by a statement in the D2 notes that says if you are 65 or over you need a D4 every year. I'd be assuming that I'd get a 3-year licence if medical OK.

The DVLA "Driving a Motorhome" web page doesn't say anything about this, my confusion comes from the bit in the D2 notes that says D4 needed ".. if ANY of the following ..."

Can anyone help clarify?

JohnView attachment 519791
Allow plenty of time. Mine took 6 mths. GP appointment, eye appointment, heart appointment, passport pics. Def use recorded delivery. Good luck. Had to drive on section 88 for 3 mths.

Upvote 0

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
I had the medical for my c1 renewal. Sent it all off to the dvla last July.still waiting to get it back.... a joke.!!!!!

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Got my C1 renewed it can two weeks ago had to wait 14 weeks it last three years I am 73
had to make a formal complaint to get it moving they did extended the renewal date which is good
happy days
n

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Just had my C1 renewed took 14 weeks and I had to put in a formal complaint
how ever they did extend the expire date by a couple of months to the date of issue
it was for three years from issue date I am 73
happy days

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Just got my C1 + E back after much too-ing and fro-ing since December 2020. I’m 78 and have to have an eye test at every renewal for my glaucoma in one eye. My first renewal at 70 years was for 3 years, my second at 73 was for 3 years, my third at 76 was only for 1 year. No explanation, no right of appeal despite my right eye field of vision being 100% as before. Applied for renewal again after 1 year (Dec2020) and was told due to Pandemic no medical needed only needed my eye retested. Got tested only to be told the wrong eye test had been done and must have it redone. Got it redone and told informally by tester that the result was as good as it could be. Had a phone call from a nice lady at DVLA asking if I also required bus entitlement which would need more testing but if I was happy with only C1+E then my application would be approved. License duly arrived a couple of weeks later and valid until end of August 2024. At no time have I needed to send in a photo so presumably my passport photo was used. All’s well that ends well. Now getting my new 3.5t Adria which I changed to just in case of no C1, uprated with SvTech!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2021
Somewhere in the South of UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
4Newbie
I agree that the forms are very confusing. I went online and downloaded a "Guide to completing ..." these forms, which actually didn't help at all! We didn't get the reminder as we have been out of the UK for some time and the DVLA will only deal with UK addresses. So, we almost discovered by accident that we didn't have the C1 category on our licenses. I did download the forms, but we had to complete them here and send them back with the doctor and optician's reports to our daughter in the UK. She sent them on to the DVLA and she got our new licenses in 2 weeks, which she sent on to us. Bit of a palaver!! We were quite surprised to see that they were both valid for 3 years, I was sure, after reading the forms, that we would have to apply every year!

Pity they don't make it clearer.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Sobering experiences. Mine expires next month so had it all done and posted a week ago (recorded). I agree the forms and notes are staggeringly confusing. Now in their hands if it comes back before planned European travel in the new year, otherwise SWEMBO will have to do all the driving ;). That's not a bad thing as we try and share it anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
I'm confused about this, why do you need a C1 to drive a motorhome. The categories on the Gov website says:

Category B - if you passed your test before 1 January 1997​

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.
You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

So why do I need a C1?

Many thanks for help with this.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
I’ve looked on the DVLA website and it appears to me to say that Category B is for vehicles up to 3500kg and no more than 8 passengers e.g.a car.
C1 is vehicles between 3500 and 7500kg and a trailer up to 750kg. So if you want a Motorhome max weight more than 3500kg, which is most but not all of them then you need C1 and if you want to tow a small car then you’ll need +E as well. I think that’s why you’ll need C1

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006

Can anyone help clarify?

JohnView attachment 519791

Apologies if this is already covered, but how I’m understanding this is that:

At age 70 you need to complete a D4 form as part of your application to keep C1 entitlement.
Assuming your application is successful, then you will be granted a C1 license for 3 years.
At your next application - i. e. approaching your 74th birthday, and in line with the expiry dates mentioned in the bracketed sentence in the bullet point above - then, at that time, you will need to complete a further D4 form. Again, a successful application will result in a license for another 3 years.

This process is different for commercia/professional drivers who need to provide a D4 every year.

I very much agree with the views that the wording makes it all as clear as mud.

All the best with your renewal. 👍

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2021
LE3 8GL, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Read the article

Attachments

• DF93B581-4D23-4627-8668-882B9192A475.png