LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Surely the discrimination is against younger people who don’t get the C1 license without a further test.
No discrimination at all. The fact that there are different groups means you have to pass in that group. Go back and licences weren't required and later you could put a large L plate and a small (car) L plate on a hgv and if you passed, you'd get your car licence. Now, since 1997 (22 years ago) the licence requirements changed.. Those who whinge about C1 not being included weren't even born then.
Also take motorcycles. Learners used to be able to drive up to 250cc on a provisional licence.
Motorcyclists who had a full licence could drive a Robin Reliant providided no reverse gear.
Things change and they aren't discriminatory

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No discrimination at all. The fact that there are different groups means you have to pass in that group. Go back and licences weren't required and later you could put a large L plate and a small (car) L plate on a hgv and if you passed, you'd get your car licence. Now, since 1997 (22 years ago) the licence requirements changed.. Those who whinge about C1 not being included weren't even born then.
Also take motorcycles. Learners used to be able to drive up to 250cc on a provisional licence.
Motorcyclists who had a full licence could drive a Robin Reliant providided no reverse gear.
Things change and they aren't discriminatory
Yes times change and so must the rules. I was really just trying to counter the earlier view that this was age discrimination, by pointing out that younger people are also subject to limitations. I do no really consider either to be discrimination.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes times change and so must the rules. I was really just trying to counter the earlier view that this was age discrimination, by pointing out that younger people are also subject to limitations. I do no really consider either to be discrimination.
Brilliant and I take your point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
but all know the licence can end at 70 yrs old. it could end earlier if medical grounds say so.
its not really age discrimination truck and bus drivers have been having medicals every 5yrs after 45yr old . after 65 its every year.
i say every driver should have a medical at 60 yrs old then every 5 years after that. even just for a car etc , many have never had any training in larger vehicles and it shows when you meet them on narrow roads etc .
mind i think eye sight could be the main cause .

In that case EVERY driver should have to undertake the medical. ANYTHING else IS PURE AGE DISCRIMINATION.

It may be the LAW, but that DOES NOT make it right nor fair.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Surely the discrimination is against younger people who don’t get the C1 license without a further test.

As well, if you like. The whole system stinks of a plot to take even more money from taxpayers.

Oh, and keep the shiny bums on seats in "work" until their Taxpayer funded enhanced Pensions kick in.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
just rang DVLA regarding my C1 licence that I applied for on Nov 5th last year. Apparently I am still in the queue waiting for my application to be assessed by their medical team, no indication as to when that may be, they have a "backlog"!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In that case EVERY driver should have to undertake the medical. ANYTHING else IS PURE AGE DISCRIMINATION.

It may be the LAW, but that DOES NOT make it right nor fair.
Isn't everything in life age discrimination then?
Can't drink till a certain age, can't vote till a certain age, can't have sex till a certain age, can't get a bus pass till a certain age, can't get married till a certain age, can't drive till a certain age. Everything is age discrimination. Live with it

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Live with it

I do, But it don`t make it any less discriminatory IMHO. And it`s not just Vehicle related, ALL sorts of things are Price hiked once you reach retirement age. For instance some Insurers will not touch you for example. It`s almost as if you reach (65 or whatever) and all they want is to put you in a box ready for the "Grim Reaper". As for Government, all they want is for you to DIE, so they don`t have to honour their contract to pay your pension!.

NOT ALL retired are Ga-Ga!. Some are still very fit, I have buddy's who still managed to do the Lyke Wake walk, and they are all over 70.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I do, But it don`t make it any less discriminatory IMHO. And it`s not just Vehicle related, ALL sorts of things are Price hiked once you reach retirement age. For instance some Insurers will not touch you for example. It`s almost as if you reach (65 or whatever) and all they want is to put you in a box ready for the "Grim Reaper". As for Government, all they want is for you to DIE, so they don`t have to honour their contract to pay your pension!.

NOT ALL retired are Ga-Ga!. Some are still very fit, I have buddy's who still managed to do the Lyke Wake walk, and they are all over 70.
I know, I have reached and exceeded that age but bear in mind that young drivers are also hammered insurance wise for thousands upon thousands of pounds.
There are the odd benefits as in bus pass, free prescriptions (over retirement age of course not 65).

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think many younger people are sick of hearing about how hard done by we older people are. Yes there are some older people who struggle but many do not. We had opportunities to buy houses and invest in generous pension schemes that are now not available. Those who bought houses have seen them vastly escalate in value without having to pay capital gains tax. We don’t have to pay National Insurance, we get a heating allowance and have bus passes.

I prefer to think about the benefits of age, such as reading posts on MHF instead of having to get up and go to work.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Without "governmental" interference. The struggles of older folk would be that much easier to manage. Giving "Ageism" the EXACT same status as Race or Gender, without the "caveats" that exist in the current legislation. Would be a first step.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
An update, great Christmas pressie today the postie delivered my replacement driving license with my C1 entitlement reinstated, its been a long and costly process but so pleased.
A quick recap for those unaware or not wanting to trawl through this long thread. Approaching 70 at beginning of year I applied for my license to keep my C1 entitlement. This was rejected by the DVLA as the prescription for my spectacles exceeded the allowed 8 dioptres. this caused no ends of problems as described early in this thread.
I am posting this in the hope it may help others. The timescale follows.
Late January I attended my opticians for my yearly check up where it was found the cataracts in my left eye were now moderate and a cataract extraction was required I was given 2 options, NHS waiting list, told they would only do one eye 3 months waiting list, 2nd eye would not be done till the cataracts present became moderate, which could have been a year or more. Because of my prescription this would cause me severe anisometropia, or I could go private and have both done over a couple of weeks. Thought it over for a few days and went for the private option
Contacted the company concerned and arrangements made, consultation first to determine the way ahead being so long sighted meant I had very high hypermetropia and shallow anterior chambers, basically long sight means smaller than normal eyeballs so much higher risk. The consultant reassured me and aimed to correct my prescription to less than I dioptre.
8th June first surgery carried out in an operating theatre and under a microscope and lens implant inserted..
15th June my right eye was done and lens implant inserted and within a few days I was walking without spectacles for the first time in my life, and after 2 weeks was able to drive (optician checked I met minimum standard)
My optician required me to wait 6 weeks from 2nd op for eyes to settle before carrying out a full eye test to determine the optical adjustment required to help with reading etc. The results were impressive now I am just under 0.4 of a dioptre in each eye.
In August we travelled to Spain returning early November so it was decided to contact the DVLA on our return with the hope of having my CI reinstated, my medical they had informed me was still valid for 12 months from issue. I contacted them and was told what forms etc were required. All completed and sent off 18th November and a reply from them on 25th asking me to make an appointment with Specsavers at their cost to have various tests carried out, this was done on the 28th and today my license arrived with an expiry date of 04/12/2022 along with a letter stating I met the eyesight requirements.
Apologies for the long winded post anyone contemplating similar just ask away if I can help I will.
Next job to contact SV Tech on Monday and get the van uplated back to 3850 kgs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I am chuffed to bits Lenny really have had overloading worries trying to run at 3500kg

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Well done Stewart. Well worth the effort. Congratulations

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Having my eyes done has been life changing John in more ways than one, I can now do things without specs for the first time in my life be it showering or even glancing the the bedside alarm clock. Wearing such thick specs all my life meant nearer objects were magnified ie coins in the palm of my hand or reading not to mention the weight saving the now super thin spectacle lenses make no more red patches on the sides of my nose in hot sweaty weather.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
An update, great Christmas pressie today the postie delivered my replacement driving license with my C1 entitlement reinstated, its been a long and costly process but so pleased.
A quick recap for those unaware or not wanting to trawl through this long thread. Approaching 70 at beginning of year I applied for my license to keep my C1 entitlement. This was rejected by the DVLA as the prescription for my spectacles exceeded the allowed 8 dioptres. this caused no ends of problems as described early in this thread.
Late January I attended my opticians for my yearly check up where it was found the cataracts in my left eye were now moderate and a cataract extraction was required I was given 2 options, NHS waiting list, told they would only do one eye 3 months waiting list, 2nd eye would not be done till the cataracts present became moderate, which could have been a year or more. Because of my prescription this would cause me severe anisometropia, or I could go private and have both done over a couple of weeks. Thought it over for a few days and went for the private option
Contacted the company concerned and arrangements made, consultation first to determine the way ahead being so long sighted meant I had very high hypermetropia and shallow anterior chambers, basically long sight means smaller than normal eyeballs so much higher risk. The consultant reassured me and aimed to correct my prescription to less than I dioptre.
8th June first surgery carried out in an operating theatre and under a microscope and lens implant inserted..
15th June my right eye was done and lens implant inserted and within a few days I was walking without spectacles for the first time in my life, and after 2 weeks was able to drive (optician checked I met minimum standard)
My optician required me to wait 6 weeks for 2nd op for eyes to settle before carrying out a full eye test to determine the optical adjustment required to help with reading etc. The results were impressive now I am just under 0.4 of a dioptre in each eye.
In August we travelled to Spain returning early November so it was decided to contact the DVLA on our return with the hope of having my CI reinstated, my medical they had informed me was still valid for 12 months from issue. I contacted them and was told what forms etc were required. All completed and sent off 18th November and a reply from them on 25th asking me to make an appointment with Specsavers at their cost to have various tests to be carried out, this was done on the 28th and today my license arrived with an expiry date of 04/12/2022 along with a letter stating I met the eyesight requirements.
Apologies for the long winded post anyone contemplating similar just ask away if I can help I will.
Addendum to my C1 advice on previous thread.......after ignoring the Hyacinth Bucket's advice that would have lost my C1 entitlement, I paid her a return visit at the main P/O and when i got to her counter after queuing for what seemed ages, I asked if she remembered the advice she gave me on 70's licence renewal, to which she repeated the 'parrot' fashion reply that "all I have to do is send off the licence and I wold get a new one back with the full C1, 7'5 ton MAM Limit", I asked if she had recently completed a customer Services course ?..
Her Attitude Changed, and in almost a Whisper, she said " We are trying to stop older drivers like you using the 'Granddad Clause, and force you to take the HGV course/exam ! ...Del-boy drives a 3 wheeler, but he can swap it for a 32ft 7.4ton American LHD, RV, that he has absolutely No road experience on, And he is perfectly entitled to do so !" While I could see 'Her' point of view, it was one of those moments when I wish I had one of those spy-cams hidden in my clothing As stated in the start of this thread...if the dvla rejects your application, i might takes months before you can get the C1, and then go on your overseas trip

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
My optician required me to wait 6 weeks from 2nd op for eyes to settle before carrying out a full eye test to determine the optical adjustment required to help with reading etc. The results were impressive now I am just under 0.4 of a dioptre in each eye.
In August we travelled to Spain returning early November so it was decided to contact the DVLA on our return with the hope of having my CI reinstated, my medical they had informed me was still valid for 12 months from issue. I contacted them and was told what forms etc were required. All completed and sent off 18th November and a reply from them on 25th asking me to make an appointment with Specsavers at their cost to have various tests carried out, this was done on the 28th and today my license arrived with an expiry date of 04/12/2022 along with a letter stating I met the eyesight requirements.
Well done for persevering with an almost never ending task...mine came back last week...Just like the gcse's results envelope that plopped onto the mat, and it would be stared at for ages before asking dad to open .

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Pleased for you Stewart J :xsmile:
My optician says I have the beginnings of cataracts but having lens replacements is a scarey thought. If you have been paying anything like the money I have over the years for spectacles, then going private quite cost effective.
Do you now need glasses for reading or does the replacement lens do everything?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Pleased for you Stewart J :xsmile:
My optician says I have the beginnings of cataracts but having lens replacements is a scarey thought. If you have been paying anything like the money I have over the years for spectacles, then going private quite cost effective.
Do you now need glasses for reading or does the replacement lens do everything?
My new specs correct my reading which I was able to do but struggled texts were impossible, also anything up to 3-4 metres was a bit blurry

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My new specs correct my reading which I was able to do but struggled texts were impossible, also anything up to 3-4 metres was a bit blurry
Does that mean you have to carry them around in your pocket ready for reading? I’m quite attached to my varifocals so I can do everything without bother!

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Congratulations and admiration for your perseverance Stewart J you must be both pleased and relieved and like other posters we are pleased for you.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
One of the ladies who works in the shop at our opticians wears varifocals with plain lenses in the 'just seeing' part of the lens and her reading prescription in the bottom part. Her ordinary eyesight is 20/20 but she struggled with such things as putting a replacement screw in customers glasses!

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Wow....this trhread has turned into a Font of Knowledge regarding C1 !.....I am constantly amazed by the diversity of 'Funsters' and the input for all things MH...Keep it up guys & girls, I am sure that somebody will 'Correlate' all the input on all the subjects....who know's?...maybe this where the roots of the Encyclopedia Galactica started ! Happy Christmass and a may your wheels never seize next year ( if you think wishing the populace 'Happy Christmas' I flew from Dubai to Abu Dhabi to Doha (qatar) then to LHR, the first 3 transit/airside lounges had stunning Christmas displays, guess which airport hod None( in case it 'offended' somebody !..I know because I asked !..And now for something completely different......Any funsters remember MH life BCM ? (thats before common market)..1964, We toured Calais to the med along the west coast, down to the 'heel' of italy (poorest area I have seen in Europe) Germanic, Benelux and Friesian areas Stunning with virtually No Motorways, and if you saw a pretty village high up from the main road, you could turn of and spend a couple of day mixing with the locals, Now all you hear is how fast they managed to tour in 2 weeks ! ..Just like last year when I was standing on our local Cornish fishing village harbour wall, and I heard a familiar "Golly-Gee".. Striking up a conversation, i discovered that the American Couple were 'Doing' England today, and Europe Tomorrow, then back to the good old USA...Any body else with similar Experiences ?
I ran away to Sea aged Sweet 16 to Seek my Fortune....Now 72, and Still Looking for it !...another one of life's 'Also-ran'

Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
Ok after reading all the threads I panicked and got on with c1 as due mid February ,
Had medical and eye test on the 6th of this month.
Forms completed and sent 9th ( nearly didn’t after all doom and gloom easy to down plate and have no payload )
Today new licence arrived lost two months but who cares.:Grin::hot: .
Lost no rights :clap2:
3891DEF8-75D4-4295-905B-9A6BF3AF85AE.jpeg

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Information for a friend who is a tugger and nearly 70
What catagories do you need a medical for if you are in perfect health?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back