May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would hope there is a difference!!!!
Not about the high wage but the payment each year. If you add up medical, digi card and cpc divide in to yearly amount it’s a lot for a low paid job. That’s why most see it as just a tax raiser.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
but all know the licence can end at 70 yrs old. it could end earlier if medical grounds say so.
its not really age discrimination truck and bus drivers have been having medicals every 5yrs after 45yr old . after 65 its every year.
i say every driver should have a medical at 60 yrs old then every 5 years after that. even just for a car etc , many have never had any training in larger vehicles and it shows when you meet them on narrow roads etc .
mind i think eye sight could be the main cause .

Disagree. There is a whole generation who have "done their Bit" who are being DISCRIMINATED against PURELY on the basis of AGE. IF we where an "Ethnic Minority" the whole world would be up in arms.

Government, Has even raised the retirement age unilaterally, because they could not fund it properly, their BALLS UP is being paid for by a whole generation of people.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not about the high wage but the payment each year. If you add up medical, digi card and cpc divide in to yearly amount it’s a lot for a low paid job. That’s why most see it as just a tax raiser.

I was driving after retirement but only part-time(50%) and only on £7.50ph and £10ph for 7.5t which was about 10%

I only got within 4 years of the 10 year requirement to complete 30 hours CPC, but that extra requirement may have tipped me into giving up completely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:Grin::Grin::Grin:
Got home to find my driving licence including C1 on the mat and a letter from consultant confirming that I had exercised and reached maximum heart rate for my age without any significant symptoms.
More pleased about that really than getting my licence.

I had to exercise on a torture machine, bicycling with legs in air against a strong resistance whilst at the same time falling sideways off the darned thing. My knees don’t like pedalling against resistance when normally on a bike when at least there is the help of gravity and body weight.
8 mins at 60 revolutions per minute.
Oh, and semi naked too!
:blusher:

FCA8BD36-280A-4A3F-9FC3-A47F0786E389.jpeg

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Got home to find my driving licence including C1 on the mat and a letter from consultant confirming that I had exercised and reached maximum heart rate for my age without any significant symptoms.

I had to exercise on a torture machine, bicycling with legs in air against a strong resistance whilst at the same time falling sideways off the darned thing. My knees don’t like pedalling against resistance when normally on a bike when at least there is the help of gravity and body weight.
Oh, and semi naked too!

View attachment 291718

Congratulations Annie.

But we want to see the photo of you, not the demo model.

We will pay good money - up to £5

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Disagree. There is a whole generation who have "done their Bit" who are being DISCRIMINATED against PURELY on the basis of AGE. IF we where an "Ethnic Minority" the whole world would be up in arms.

Government, Has even raised the retirement age unilaterally, because they could not fund it properly, their BALLS UP is being paid for by a whole generation of people.
Surely the discrimination is against younger people who don’t get the C1 license without a further test.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
driver should have a medical at 60 yrs old then every 5 years after that. even just for a car etc
here the medical is from provisional licence & then every 10 years for B & every 5 years for C.C1 More classes you have higher the fee is although the medical is the same. I pay 75€ a time every 5 years but at least the B is automatically renewed as well.

Problem with the UK is that there has never been a requirement for a medical until 70 & by then it's too late.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
[QUOTE="The Wino, post: 326177! I think its fair enough as it is now when people go into a job with those requirements they know its going to be an ongoing cost.[/QUOTE]

What is not fair is paying the equivalent of a months salary for 'lifetime registration' then a few years later having the goal posts moved.

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
just got mine £150 medical £14 optician
back from DVLA 10days all o/k (sent in early lost in case of problems lost 2months)
terry

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Just received my leicence back yesterday yippy. The forms were returned to me twice first time I had not filled in D2, crossing all the required boxes. Second time they required £17 for my new leicence, I also noticed a little square I had not crossed that I was enclosed a completed D4 form done by D4 drivers. The leicence arrived back quickly so lam good to 2022 March.My previous leicence was April 2019. My leicence before that was May 2016. So if I live long enough on that ratio I will be ??? By then where's the ENTERPRISE Captain Kirk!

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Just received my leicence back yesterday yippy. The forms were returned to me twice first time I had not filled in D2, crossing all the required boxes. Second time they required £17 for my new leicence, I also noticed a little square I had not crossed that I was enclosed a completed D4 form done by D4 drivers. The leicence arrived back quickly so lam good to 2022 March.My previous leicence was April 2019. My leicence before that was May 2016

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
Whilst I was awaiting my c1 renewal, we wanted to travel abroad so advised dvla that my licence was about to expire. My current van is under 3.5 t so a c1 was not necessary. Dvla supplied me with an ordinary licence which allowed me to travel abroad. The c1 was sent to my home address a month later after the treadmill test. (y)

now you really are p*****g me off!!

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years

Oh, and semi naked too!

View attachment 291718
how long after did it arrive from your original application?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I will do what I did the last time the DVLA "peed" me about. As I KNOW it it just a formality (for me) I will carry a photo copy of the licence, even though theoretically Expired, and a copy of the Letter/E-Mail to the head of DVLA advising of the situation and stating that I fully intend to exercise my right to carry on driving until they get their house in order!.

Push come to shove, I will have my day in court and we will see what the judge has to say!

It happened back when John Prescott was "minister of transport" and he got a copy too. AND I got an acknowledgement back from his department!.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I believe @Riverbankannie 's application was last june 2018
Yes, that’s correct. I declared a LBBB on my application and they requested my records from GP. In January they arranged an echocardiogram and without giving me any reason why, requested a second one with stress at a different hospital. That was earlier this month.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
Yes, that’s correct. I declared a LBBB on my application and they requested my records from GP. In January they arranged an echocardiogram and without giving me any reason why, requested a second one with stress at a different hospital. That was earlier this month.
but you now have your C1?

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
DVLA have returned my check for £17. On 14 March I received a letter stating I needed to pay this for my new leicence. It looks like left hand does not know what right hand is doing. Received leicence on Monday.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Interesting if they ever do that with my records as they will be in Polish.:D They can pay for the translation.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Interesting if they ever do that with my records as they will be in Polish.:D They can pay for the translation.
I think what requesting records means is that they send a form to the listed GP for them to fill in and return. I don’t know what they do if not completed in English. I suspect they might struggle if completed in Welsh !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, as I posted earlier #185
9 months .They must be improving ! :LOL:
DVLA have returned my check for £17. On 14 March I received a letter stating I needed to pay this for my new leicence. It looks like left hand does not know what right hand is doing. Received leicence on Monday.

I believe it is free from age 70.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
It has taken 7 weeks from from seeing D4 drivers for the medical. The forms were returned 14 days later because I had not filled the D2 form correctly, so duly sent back completed. Then second letter requiring £17.
That continues from my previous m/h fun post.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think what requesting records means is that they send a form to the listed GP for them to fill in and return. I don’t know what they do if not completed in English. I suspect they might struggle if completed in Welsh !

DVLA being in Swansea they could hardly refuse it.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
It has taken 7 weeks from from seeing D4 drivers for the medical. The forms were returned 14 days later because I had not filled the D2 form correctly, so duly sent back completed. Then second letter requiring £17.
That continues from my previous m/h fun post.
so presumably you had no medical issues

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Have just posted off OH’s application for C1 over 70. Spent most of my working life in admin and would have said that I was reasonably good at filling in forms but have to say that found this particular form was a total nightmare! Let’s see how long it takes to produce a new licence or how many times it is sent back as incorrectly filled out ???

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
I am still waiting , sent mine off Nov 5th last year, dvla confirmed on feb 15th they had all they needed, were going to send it to their own medical assessment team......over SEVEN months now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back