LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Surely the discrimination is against younger people who don’t get the C1 license without a further test.
No discrimination at all. The fact that there are different groups means you have to pass in that group. Go back and licences weren't required and later you could put a large L plate and a small (car) L plate on a hgv and if you passed, you'd get your car licence. Now, since 1997 (22 years ago) the licence requirements changed.. Those who whinge about C1 not being included weren't even born then.
Also take motorcycles. Learners used to be able to drive up to 250cc on a provisional licence.
Motorcyclists who had a full licence could drive a Robin Reliant providided no reverse gear.
Things change and they aren't discriminatory

May 7, 2016
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No discrimination at all. The fact that there are different groups means you have to pass in that group. Go back and licences weren't required and later you could put a large L plate and a small (car) L plate on a hgv and if you passed, you'd get your car licence. Now, since 1997 (22 years ago) the licence requirements changed.. Those who whinge about C1 not being included weren't even born then.
Also take motorcycles. Learners used to be able to drive up to 250cc on a provisional licence.
Motorcyclists who had a full licence could drive a Robin Reliant providided no reverse gear.
Things change and they aren't discriminatory
Yes times change and so must the rules. I was really just trying to counter the earlier view that this was age discrimination, by pointing out that younger people are also subject to limitations. I do no really consider either to be discrimination.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes times change and so must the rules. I was really just trying to counter the earlier view that this was age discrimination, by pointing out that younger people are also subject to limitations. I do no really consider either to be discrimination.
Brilliant and I take your point

Nov 22, 2007
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido "A" Class, Mecedes
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
but all know the licence can end at 70 yrs old. it could end earlier if medical grounds say so.
its not really age discrimination truck and bus drivers have been having medicals every 5yrs after 45yr old . after 65 its every year.
i say every driver should have a medical at 60 yrs old then every 5 years after that. even just for a car etc , many have never had any training in larger vehicles and it shows when you meet them on narrow roads etc .
mind i think eye sight could be the main cause .
In that case EVERY driver should have to undertake the medical. ANYTHING else IS PURE AGE DISCRIMINATION.

It may be the LAW, but that DOES NOT make it right nor fair.

Nov 22, 2007
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Surely the discrimination is against younger people who don’t get the C1 license without a further test.
As well, if you like. The whole system stinks of a plot to take even more money from taxpayers.

Oh, and keep the shiny bums on seats in "work" until their Taxpayer funded enhanced Pensions kick in.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
just rang DVLA regarding my C1 licence that I applied for on Nov 5th last year. Apparently I am still in the queue waiting for my application to be assessed by their medical team, no indication as to when that may be, they have a "backlog"!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In that case EVERY driver should have to undertake the medical. ANYTHING else IS PURE AGE DISCRIMINATION.

It may be the LAW, but that DOES NOT make it right nor fair.
Isn't everything in life age discrimination then?
Can't drink till a certain age, can't vote till a certain age, can't have sex till a certain age, can't get a bus pass till a certain age, can't get married till a certain age, can't drive till a certain age. Everything is age discrimination. Live with it

Nov 22, 2007
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Live with it
I do, But it don`t make it any less discriminatory IMHO. And it`s not just Vehicle related, ALL sorts of things are Price hiked once you reach retirement age. For instance some Insurers will not touch you for example. It`s almost as if you reach (65 or whatever) and all they want is to put you in a box ready for the "Grim Reaper". As for Government, all they want is for you to DIE, so they don`t have to honour their contract to pay your pension!.

NOT ALL retired are Ga-Ga!. Some are still very fit, I have buddy's who still managed to do the Lyke Wake walk, and they are all over 70.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I do, But it don`t make it any less discriminatory IMHO. And it`s not just Vehicle related, ALL sorts of things are Price hiked once you reach retirement age. For instance some Insurers will not touch you for example. It`s almost as if you reach (65 or whatever) and all they want is to put you in a box ready for the "Grim Reaper". As for Government, all they want is for you to DIE, so they don`t have to honour their contract to pay your pension!.

NOT ALL retired are Ga-Ga!. Some are still very fit, I have buddy's who still managed to do the Lyke Wake walk, and they are all over 70.
I know, I have reached and exceeded that age but bear in mind that young drivers are also hammered insurance wise for thousands upon thousands of pounds.
There are the odd benefits as in bus pass, free prescriptions (over retirement age of course not 65).

May 7, 2016
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think many younger people are sick of hearing about how hard done by we older people are. Yes there are some older people who struggle but many do not. We had opportunities to buy houses and invest in generous pension schemes that are now not available. Those who bought houses have seen them vastly escalate in value without having to pay capital gains tax. We don’t have to pay National Insurance, we get a heating allowance and have bus passes.

I prefer to think about the benefits of age, such as reading posts on MHF instead of having to get up and go to work.

Nov 22, 2007
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Without "governmental" interference. The struggles of older folk would be that much easier to manage. Giving "Ageism" the EXACT same status as Race or Gender, without the "caveats" that exist in the current legislation. Would be a first step.

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services