C1 renewal at 70 (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I'm reasonable fit, out swing dancing 2 - 3 times a week, walk daughter's dog a few miles several times a week. But can't get my blood pressure under control won't pass the medical at the moment. If I can't get it down by next year it will be an excuse for a new van.

All I need is a well kitted out decent German van 3500 kg with a payload of 1000 kg, shouldn't be hard to find.:rofl:
What do they consider an acceptable level of blood pressure?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just remembered the the first and second incarnations of the Hymer Van (2009 - 2011) had a 1000 kg payload on a 3500kg chassis. It can be done but on a Ford, their chassis must be a lot lighter than the Fiat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Surely it must be time for intervention from your MP Annie? :eek:

Shout when you find it please Lenny, and I'll get shot of our tandem axle job, and will willingly let go of my C1 in 9 x years time. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I’ll give it another month, going off on a golfing holiday to Murcia soon but flying so no need to drive.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years

my blood pressure is regularly around 124/73, BMI under 30 (just) never smoked, teetotal, played sport all my younger days, I blame that Coventry bus driver, put the willies up the authorities.

Last edited:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I have been getting concerned that my BP has gone up to 150/82 when it was always below 128/80.
Need to arrange my medical when I am over in the UK in a couple of weeks.
Has anybody any Personal experience of Doctors on wheels or the other one can't remember their name (Hope you don't need a good memory for a C1!)
Steve

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have been getting concerned that my BP has gone up to 150/82 when it was always below 128/80.
Need to arrange my medical when I am over in the UK in a couple of weeks.
Has anybody any Personal experience of Doctors on wheels or the other one can't remember their name (Hope you don't need a good memory for a C1!)
Steve
I used Doctors on Wheels at Avonmouth and as @john lillie says, relaxed is a good word to use.
I don’t remember my blood pressure being taken. In fact I wouldn’t call it a medical at all, just a questionnaire with an eye test, height and weight measurement. Eye test taken a distance of about 5 feet !
It seems to be based completely on honesty about declaring your medical conditions.
They get quite booked up so need to arrange a week or so in advance.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I used D4Drivers for my last HGV & PSV Medical a couple of years ago. It was a breeze. I got quite annoyed that the Doctor didn't check the urine sample I provided, nor the eye test results I had provided for the eye test done about an hour before the medical. The first thing he did was to collect the fee.................in cash. :LOL:
When I read the letters off the Snellen chart, he said, "You don't need to wear glasses for driving." :eek:
I said, "I certainly wouldn't like to drive without my glasses thanks Doc." :LOL:

I was in and out within 10 - 15 mins, but then I don't have any health issues that might affect my vocational licences. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But can't get my blood pressure under control ....
Tip:
Easy solution: Avoid using Caravan and Motorhome Club sites. ;)

(Actually, I think you are more of an aire/eff ell tee Funster so it can't be that, but I couldn't resist having a dig at the CAMC. :rolleyes: )

How odd; when I type the three letters 'eff ell tee' in capitals the website software changes it to 'Fork Lift Truck' o_O

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
careful what you say here, the DVLA might get wind of it...............
I wish they would. It was worrying seeing all the HGV drivers queuing up and then observing the actual “medical”.

......and it wasn’t a doctor in my case but apparently it was ok because they had the doctor’s inkpad stamp!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think the whole system is a bit of a joke because:-

Any doctor qualified in the EU can conduct the 'Medical'

They do not have to have your past medical records

They rely on your answers to their questions, except for some tests.

I cannot see how this differs much from self-certification for under 3.5t renewal at 70.

But then the DVLA cannot run the V5C system efficiently, so what can we expect?

Probably if more accidents were proved to be the result of people lieing to questions the system might be tightened up. However, if accidents are not occurring for that reason is their any reason for the system in the first place?

Geoff

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just booked DoW in Brighton, had to be a Saturday as only appointment when we would be in UK so £61 :(
The whole thing is crazy as if I wanted to have zero payload I could down plate to 3.5T and drive exactly the same MoHo. About time they took a good look at leisure vehicles.
Steve

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
As I see it, the original paid for medical is pointless, as the DVLA still want full details of your medical history from your GP/consultant,(they even sent me another form with the same questions as on the D4), then when they receive all that, they then pass all that on to their own medical "experts" to assess all the information, so why they bother with the original D4 escapes me!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As I see it, the original paid for medical is pointless, as the DVLA still want full details of your medical history from your GP/consultant,(they even sent me another form with the same questions as on the D4), then when they receive all that, they then pass all that on to their own medical "experts" to assess all the information, so why they bother with the original D4 escapes me!

I think that is only in certain cases, i.e. when the D4 answers raise some doubts. It has never happened to me after 3 D4 Medicals.

I am not sure they know who my GP is - do they ask on the D4?

Geoff

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It worry’s me to think some hgv drivers could be buying there medicals I’ve been driving hgv for over 30 years and would not even dream of buying a medical I’ve seen the terrible carnage these vehicles can cause if your not fit please don’t falsely say you are think of the out come just remember the dust cart driver who killed innocent people he was not fit to hold a hgv licence

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think that is only in certain cases, i.e. when the D4 answers raise some doubts. It has never happened to me after 3 D4 Medicals.

I am not sure they know who my GP is - do they ask on the D4?

Geoff
Yes, you do have to put your GP details on the form. Of course they only go to GP if you own up to some condition. If that happens, then of course the process can take some time :whistle::whistle:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think the whole system is a bit of a joke because:-

Any doctor qualified in the EU can conduct the 'Medical'

They do not have to have your past medical records

They rely on your answers to their questions, except for some tests.

I cannot see how this differs much from self-certification for under 3.5t renewal at 70.

But then the DVLA cannot run the V5C system efficiently, so what can we expect?

Probably if more accidents were proved to be the result of people lieing to questions the system might be tightened up. However, if accidents are not occurring for that reason is their any reason for the system in the first place?

Geoff
I didn’t have a doctor. Still wondering whether to report it or not but I guess DVLA must know it goes on as a fairly obviously ink stamped signature from some doctor in Brirmingham and I was in Bristol.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Bloody AGEIST. That`s what it is. NO difference between a 3.5t and a 4t. Just some shiny arsed scrote in the DVLA`s idea is all. IF we where a "Ethnic Minority" they wouldnt dare try it on!.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I didn’t have a doctor. Still wondering whether to report it or not but I guess DVLA must know it goes on as a fairly obviously ink stamped signature from some doctor in Brirmingham and I was in Bristol.

My Dad's was done by an HCA and she took the form through to the GP to be signed. He didn't even see a doctor.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My Dad's was done by an HCA and she took the form through to the GP to be signed. He didn't even see a doctor.
Sounds like in GP surgery though so at least had access to medical records?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sounds like in GP surgery though so at least had access to medical records?

GP surgery but not his!!!!! They said he was fit to drive last week and this week his own GP has referred him to the memory clinic. His assessment was done as someone had reported him as not fit to drive due to memory problems (not me). His own GP has written to DVLA to ask them to suspend his licence.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
GP surgery but not his!!!!! They said he was fit to drive last week and this week his own GP has referred him to the memory clinic. His assessment was done as someone had reported him as not fit to drive due to memory problems (not me). His own GP has written to DVLA to ask them to suspend his licence.
It’s a crazy system. The only way to make it better is for it to be a requirement to come from own GP surgery or surgery group where there is access to previous notes.

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Got to renew my hgv in may I will be 65 and will be going to my own gp for medical if I’m fit great if not that’s it I will have to find some thing else to keep a wage coming in better than putting others at risk

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Got to renew my hgv in may I will be 65 and will be going to my own gp for medical if I’m fit great if not that’s it I will have to find some thing else to keep a wage coming in better than putting others at risk

That is my attitude as well. I'd rather not drive than put others at risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back