Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thats the answer then shift all your excess weight into a nice lockable box trailer.
Not quite that simple Hymer will not allow Alko to supply parts for the Alko light chassis it all has to be done through them and from another member with same van who has done this we are looking at £3200 for the install.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not quite that simple Hymer will not allow Alko to supply parts for the Alko light chassis it all has to be done through them and from another member with same van who has done this we are looking at £3200 for the install.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If it has to be Hymer parts try Campirama in Belgium I think you will find it will be quite a bit cheaper.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I've just had my 70th, and thought long and hard whether I wanted to keep my C1. It won't be just me though, as OH is coming up to that soon too. In the end it was far simpler to just stick to 3500kg. As it is, we've found a great van (hopefully) and enough payload for us both. We've hired MH in the US Canada and New Zealand for up to 6 weeks at a time, and the only payload has been our food, water, and what we could take on the plane.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If it has to be Hymer parts try Campirama in Belgium I think you will find it will be quite a bit cheaper.
Thanks Lenny, intend contacting Alko direct now van is out of warranty, the member I spoke of did his at a few months old and was told If not through Hymer it would affect his warranty.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There are so many notifiable things on the dvla's list that I think half the country would have them revoked.:(
I was aware of the notifiable list having notified the DVLA of my issues many years ago. Strangely the A to Z of medical conditions does not include eyesight under E. This rule pops up elsewhere as posted by @Stewart J above in the Learn To Drive A Car section under a sub heading of Lorry and Bus Drivers. I was not previously aware of it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I've just had my 70th, and thought long and hard whether I wanted to keep my C1. It won't be just me though, as OH is coming up to that soon too. In the end it was far simpler to just stick to 3500kg. As it is, we've found a great van (hopefully) and enough payload for us both. We've hired MH in the US Canada and New Zealand for up to 6 weeks at a time, and the only payload has been our food, water, and what we could take on the plane.

We are going down a similar sub 3500kg route. After much weighing of current mh, with and without our usual loading, have decided on the expensive option of changing. With much research and many calculations we concluded that the best option for us was to change from Hymer to Carthago, it was a bit of a surprise to discover that the Carthago ended up with a better payload than the equivalent Hymer. The difference lies mostly in the weight of the extras, an important consideration as mentioned by @Lenny HB earlier. The heaviest extra we have specified is the tow bar but we usually tow a car and some of the heavier kit can go in this. May have to buy a small trailer for Continental touring.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Weighbridge tomorrow Lenny, DVLA require it along with covering letter etc etc before they will down plate. A lot of work and yes I am worried about the payload Hymers claim for my model of 500kg is total bo***x.
I cannot really see how they would havea leg to stand on legally, as having registered it at the lower weight then allowing the uprate ,how can they deny a down plate ?

Persionally if I was faced with this situation , & knowing now how awkward they are going to be re; down plate ( @GWAYGWAY said he had to do it a long while back & many disbelieved him)

I would do the paperwork/ uprated tyres/suspension etc , get the paperwork & ..................leave it at that. Any pull & you are on the point of putting the paperwork in. The whole lot is a nonsensical situation.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Towing a motorbike on a trailer seems a waste if restricted to 3.5 T but towing a box trailer that you can put items in to reduce/move weight seems better option couple of electric bikes if needed but we all make choices whether good or bad

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
it was a bit of a surprise to discover that the Carthago ended up with a better payload than the equivalent Hymer.
I very much doubt it as Hymers come out of the factory very close to the design weight where as Carthago's are often 100 - 150 kg over. I personally know 3 that were 130 kg over.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I was aware of the notifiable list having notified the DVLA of my issues many years ago. Strangely the A to Z of medical conditions does not include eyesight under E. This rule pops up elsewhere as posted by @Stewart J above in the Learn To Drive A Car section under a sub heading of Lorry and Bus Drivers. I was not previously aware of it.
I find this document sets things out in a clear way. It’s quite lengthy but well broken up. Visual requirements are chapter 6 page 97.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...o-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I very much doubt it as Hymers come out of the factory very close to the design weight where as Carthago's are often 100 - 150 kg over. I personally know 3 that were 130 kg over.
I was going by the weights given by both manufacturers and I will be a bit annoyed if it is very far out. The biggest weight savings are going from rear wheel drive Mercedes to Fiat, particularly with automatic and leaving out the drop down bed bed. There is a lighter oven option too and the fibreglass roof is standard rather than a 30kg extra. Possibly the final selling point for me was the big underfloor storage area which means many of the heavier items from the garage can go forward of the back axle, which often seems to be as critical as the overall payload.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Possibly the final selling point for me was the big underfloor storage area which means many of the heavier items from the garage can go forward of the back axle, which often seems to be as critical as the overall payload.
My mate has a new E-Line and has found it very tight on rear axle loading he got over it by being able to shift weight forward due to the large underfloor area. He previously had a C-Tourer he bought that at 3500 but had to upgrade to 3850.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My mate has a new E-Line and has found it very tight on rear axle loading he got over it by being able to shift weight forward due to the large underfloor area. He previously had a C-Tourer he bought that at 3500 but had to upgrade to 3850.
Interesting, we have opted for the C-Compactline being a bit lighter but still with plenty of underfloor storage. I dont rule out up plating but want something that I can revert quickly to 3500kg if C1 becomes a problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interesting, we have opted for the C-Compactline being a bit lighter but still with plenty of underfloor storage. I dont rule out up plating but want something that I can revert quickly to 3500kg if C1 becomes a problem.
They have reduced the weight of them over the last couple of years by about 50 kg but they come out of the factory overweight as well. My mate knows an owner of a Compact line his was a 130 kg over as well.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I will second @Lenny HB on Hymer brochure weights. I took ours on the weighbridge after delivery and adding our chosen options, including factory towbar we were within 1-2 kg of the factory weights. Despite having a quoted payload of 730kg before options we are running + or - 50kgs from 3500kgs when we go away. I was tempted to go semi-air at the rear to uprate the 2000kg rear axle ((Alko light chassis) but as long as bikes are still an option we will try to stay at 3500kg for as long as we can. It's been mentioned before but front dinette/big rear garage does cause problems with weight distribution. Toured Corsica last autumn towing a motorbike and it was a fantastic trip.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's been mentioned before but front dinette/big rear garage does cause problems with weight distribution. Toured Corsica last autumn towing a motorbike and it was a fantastic trip.
Depends where the water tank is, our last van was an Exsis i678 A class and the tank was behind the rear axle, always struggled with rear axle loading. Current tank is midships and we have 400 kg spare on the rear (4500 chassis).

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thanks Lenny, intend contacting Alko direct now van is out of warranty, the member I spoke of did his at a few months old and was told If not through Hymer it would affect his warranty.
Lowdhams told me I had cancelled all my Hymer warranty, because I repaired the door aperture, and not had them do , this was for everything on the vehicle so I just said BoXXXcks to you you all, they wanted me to drive it 300 miles to the leave it 6 weeks and then go back to collect it when they finished, I fixed it completely in a day better than the monkeys could do it. Hymers are concerned about profit margins not customer service. Just do it. When it comes to me trying to drop the weight enough for 3500 the biggest thing is the weight of the towbar at 60kgs that must be on there to tow the trailer with the stuff I cannot carry on board.. What a farce can't drivit with the studd in it but can with a trailer that makes it heavier than without. EU rules were dropping the non professional medical for up to 4500kg but the UK did not bring it into action .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Lowdhams told me I had cancelled all my Hymer warranty, because I repaired the door aperture, and not had them do , this was for everything on the vehicle so I just said BoXXXcks to you you all, they wanted me to drive it 300 miles to the leave it 6 weeks and then go back to collect it when they finished, I fixed it completely in a day better than the monkeys could do it. Hymers are concerned about profit margins not customer service. Just do it. When it comes to me trying to drop the weight enough for 3500 the biggest thing is the weight of the towbar at 60kgs that must be on there to tow the trailer with the stuff I cannot carry on board.. What a farce can't drivit with the studd in it but can with a trailer that makes it heavier than without. EU rules were dropping the non professional medical for up to 4500kg but the UK did not bring it into action .
I think this is more about the dealer than Hymer. I have had no problem getting Hymer warranty work done by my dealer, at times that suit me.

I agree that our license rules should be more flexible and the 3500kg limit is a problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lowdhams told me I had cancelled all my Hymer warranty, because I repaired the door aperture, and not had them do , this was for everything on the vehicle so
I think this is more about the dealer than Hymer.
Yep it's the dealer, on our first Hymer (same dealer we bought the last 2 from) we had a problem with the spare wheel mounting the dealer told me to get someone to fix it and they would pay as it wasn't too difficult I did it myself, dealer was well pleased. Had another problem with that fan when Hymer fitted the battery they nicked the wiring loom causing an intermittantfault, took Fiat dealer 2 days to find it and I got £350 bill. Sent the bill to my dealer and they paid it.

EU rules were dropping the non professional medical for up to 4500kg but the UK did not bring it into action .
Nothing to do with the UK the EU rejected the idea.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have had a full license almost 50 years so my C1 was automatic, who would think of reading the DVLA small print regarding spectacle lens requirements. My opticians over the years provided me with corrective specs that more than met the driving requirements. It’s so annoying to know I am going to be driving the same vehicle albeit with a restriction on the weight and so restricting the payload.
My current specs thanks to the efforts of my optician and the lens supplying laboratory are the thinnest I have ever had in my entire life mind they had to be sourced from the USA. Suppliers of lens blanks in the UK are becoming scarcer so are very thick and heavy on the nose,

So sorry that you are facing this.

I had problems getting my eyes tested before Christmas but all sorted now - I have to say that the opticians in ASDA were excellent and one of the questions asked was what class of driving licence I held. I did know about the requirements (looked into them a while back) but so did the assistant at the opticians which I found reassuring. I have the best specs I have ever had and at the remarkable price of less than £120 for two pairs of varifocals, thin and light lenses and rimless. Guaranteed for a year which is fine as I have an annual eye test.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So sorry that you are facing this.

I had problems getting my eyes tested before Christmas but all sorted now - I have to say that the opticians in ASDA were excellent and one of the questions asked was what class of driving licence I held. I did know about the requirements (looked into them a while back) but so did the assistant at the opticians which I found reassuring. I have the best specs I have ever had and at the remarkable price of less than £120 for two pairs of varifocals, thin and light lenses and rimless. Guaranteed for a year which is fine as I have an annual eye test.
Yes,you can't beat them.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you want to Protect your 7.5 ton ability....Make sure you apply for the 'mini-bus' Licence and fill in the C2 Application as well....Otherwise you will be restricted to 3.5 ton
Hi @robert groves, I am confused, I have just started taking an interest in all this as I am 70 at the beginning of July. I got form D2 form from DVLA last year when I was in the UK they didn't mention C2.
I spend a lot of my time in France so do not have a UK, GP but was planning to travel to the UK at the beginning of April to have my medical using Doctors on Wheels or similar, (Anybody have personal experience of the other ones now springing up?)
I don't want to mess it up and understand that any errors can cause big problems especially as I am likely to be out of the country if DVLA reject the application for an error.
Anybody know of a good explanation of how to fill the form or forms in correctly?
My licence qualifies me for: A,B1,B,C1,D1,BE,C1E,D1E,fklnpq
If anybody with a successfully completed form could post a copy, with personal details obscured of course, that would be very helpful. My MoHo Is 4,500kg and downgrading is not an option, nor is changing it.
I am getting quite concerned. As far as I know I have absolutely no health issues or sight problems other than a minor spectacle prescription. And an expanding mid section.
Sorry to hijack thread but it seemed a good place as so many people who have gone through it seem to be reading.
Steve

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi @robert groves, I am confused, I have just started taking an interest in all this as I am 70 at the beginning of July. I got form D2 form from DVLA last year when I was in the UK they didn't mention C2.
I spend a lot of my time in France so do not have a UK, GP but was planning to travel to the UK at the beginning of April to have my medical using Doctors on Wheels or similar, (Anybody have personal experience of the other ones now springing up?)
I don't want to mess it up and understand that any errors can cause big problems especially as I am likely to be out of the country if DVLA reject the application for an error.
Anybody know of a good explanation of how to fill the form or forms in correctly?
My licence qualifies me for: A,B1,B,C1,D1,BE,C1E,D1E,fklnpq
If anybody with a successfully completed form could post a copy, with personal details obscured of course, that would be very helpful. My MoHo Is 4,500kg and downgrading is not an option, nor is changing it.
I am getting quite concerned. As far as I know I have absolutely no health issues or sight problems other than a minor spectacle prescription. And an expanding mid section.
Sorry to hijack thread but it seemed a good place as so many people who have gone through it seem to be reading.
Steve
I have a copy of my D4 but I don’t think it would help you as it is the medical details and apart from the front page where you have to fill in your own GP details, (this could be a problem for you) it was all completed by Doctors on Wheels.
The D4 is required for the application to keep C1.
I did know that I had a notifiable cardiac condition for the C1category so I was not surprised when DVLA contacted my GP.
I do know that I have made an error on the accompanying form about the counter signature. I asked my neighbour who is younger than me and ex police. I assumed he would have a photo driving licence which is a requirement to be a counter signatory. I asked him later once I had sent it in, and he said No, he still has a paper licence.

They are still considering the results of medical tests so I cannot tell you that the form was completed correctly in their opinion.

I am able to contine driving (in the U.K. only) under section 88 of RTA until decision made. As I cannot produce a valid driving licence if asked when abroad I won’t take that risk.

If you have no known medical issues you shouldn’t have to be referred to the medical board, but you will need to provide details of your GP and I would advise that you ensure your counter signatory has a photo licence!

With Doctors on Wheels, it is basically a self certification process as there is no medical examination apart from weighing you and a cursory eyesight test. The person filling in the form was not a doctor even though a doctors name was inserted in the appropriate place on the form. It relies on you as the applicant to tell the truth.

It’s a scarey thought that everyone else getting their forms signed were HGV drivers, and with their livelihood at stake, there is real motivation not to declare!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I have a copy of my D4 but I don’t think it would help you as it is the medical details and apart from the front page where you have to fill in your own GP details, (this could be a problem for you) it was all completed by Doctors on Wheels.
The D4 is required for the application to keep C1.
I did know that I had a notifiable cardiac condition for the C1category so I was not surprised when DVLA contacted my GP.
I do know that I have made an error on the accompanying form about the counter signature. I asked my neighbour who is younger than me and ex police. I assumed he would have a photo driving licence which is a requirement to be a counter signatory. I asked him later once I had sent it in, and he said No, he still has a paper licence.

They are still considering the results of medical tests so I cannot tell you that the form was completed correctly in their opinion.

I am able to contine driving (in the U.K. only) under section 88 of RTA until decision made. As I cannot produce a valid driving licence if asked when abroad I won’t take that risk.

If you have no known medical issues you shouldn’t have to be referred to the medical board, but you will need to provide details of your GP and I would advise that you ensure your counter signatory has a photo licence!

With Doctors on Wheels, it is basically a self certification process as there is no medical examination apart from weighing you and a cursory eyesight test. The person filling in the form was not a doctor even though a doctors name was inserted in the appropriate place on the form. It relies on you as the applicant to tell the truth.

It’s a scarey thought that everyone else getting their forms signed were HGV drivers, and with their livelihood at stake, there is real motivation not to declare!
Hi Annie,
No it was the D2 I was thinking about a copy being useful. I don't need a copy of D4 as that is filled in by the doctor, well I thought it was a doctor, when I phoned Doctors on Wheels they said it would be a qualified field Doctor and a proper examination.
I am also confused about needing a GP I hadn't spotted that on the last page of the D4. I don't have a GP in the UK.
I am now really concerned as after March 29th I may not be able to stay more than 90 days in France, looks as if I will have to sign up with a GP. In the UK first.
Steve

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Annie,
No it was the D2 I was thinking about a copy being useful. I don't need a copy of D4 as that is filled in by the doctor, well I thought it was a doctor, when I phoned Doctors on Wheels they said it would be a qualified field Doctor and a proper examination.
I am also confused about needing a GP I hadn't spotted that on the last page of the D4. I don't have a GP in the UK.
I am now really concerned as after March 29th I may not be able to stay more than 90 days in France, looks as if I will have to sign up with a GP. In the UK first.
Steve
The lady said she was a nurse and that everything was ok because she had an ink stamp from the doctor! I wouldn’t have called it a proper examination.
I guess DVLA know all about the business.
You could ring DVLA and ask for advise about not having a U.K. GP. They must have come across it before.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had a visitor to the farm with a huge liner-class motorhome and it weighed way over7500kgs, he told me that the Germans require a non professional medical for the use of leisure vehicle and that is what he was running on. Other countries also do similar. The UK sticks with the
Need to match the rules for a driver with 40 tons or 80 passengers sitting in the vehicle, the bus licence especially is for public safety ie the 80 year old that killed his passengers when the bus ran off, he had I believe a severe cognisance problem and shouuld not have been driving at all. Lorry drivers the reason of pure bulk running amok and doing mass carnage. A higher limit make very little difference to the amount of damage that a motorhome would do 3500 or 3680 kg is sod all when it comes down to it. I will probably sell at the end of this year and take the hit financially and not replace it with a lighter dearer one because I have been spoiled now. I will not be paying out any more for what was a one off cost that is not replicable from my assets. Might be dead anyway so not going to worry too much. My slightly younger wife refuses to drive it anyway.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Puddlequack, the current DVLA requirements are that the Doctor has to be qualified in the EU.

I have had my last two D4s done in Poland, with no problems. (Choose one like ours who comes to dinner regularly;))

Even after 29th March I doubt whether the DVLA will change quickly.

The D4 form is valid for 4 months from date of signing, but you cannot submit renewal application more than 3 months before renewal - although I cannot see why one cannot request renewal a month early and just forego a month's entitlement.

Geoff

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I had a visitor to the farm with a huge liner-class motorhome and it weighed way over7500kgs, he told me that the Germans require a non professional medical for the use of leisure vehicle and that is what he was running on. Other countries also do similar. The UK sticks with the
Need to match the rules for a driver with 40 tons or 80 passengers sitting in the vehicle, the bus licence especially is for public safety ie the 80 year old that killed his passengers when the bus ran off, he had I believe a severe cognisance problem and shouuld not have been driving at all. Lorry drivers the reason of pure bulk running amok and doing mass carnage. A higher limit make very little difference to the amount of damage that a motorhome would do 3500 or 3680 kg is sod all when it comes down to it. I will probably sell at the end of this year and take the hit financially and not replace it with a lighter dearer one because I have been spoiled now. I will not be paying out any more for what was a one off cost that is not replicable from my assets. Might be dead anyway so not going to worry too much. My slightly younger wife refuses to drive it anyway.
It’s a great shame that you feel you have to give up with MHs.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Puddlequack, the current DVLA requirements are that the Doctor has to be qualified in the EU.

I have had my last two D4s done in Poland, with no problems. (Choose one like ours who comes to dinner regularly;))

Even after 29th March I doubt whether the DVLA will change quickly.

The D4 form is valid for 4 months from date of signing, but you cannot submit renewal application more than 3 months before renewal - although I cannot see why one cannot request renewal a month early and just forego a month's entitlement.

Geoff
@OldAgeTravellers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back