C1 medical at D4Drivers. What do the jury think? (1 Viewer)

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
In answer to the OP I went with my family doctor at £120 cash and as others have noted it was the fastest appointment I've ever been given, as in, can you make it this evening? This was November 2021

The Celestial Joke: Now I have a history of heart and other surgical interventions so I was expecting a follow up from the DVLA. So off went the forms in November and in May 2022 having not heard anything, I gave the DVLA a call. Long story re Covid, staff shortages, backlogs etc., but a promise that a letter would be coming soon. It did, in June. Off for a heart stress test at the Hospital (July) - failed with honours - 7 mins and knackered knees and ankles later.

September now arrives and I contact the DVLA again, what news? Ah, there's another letter coming out, It did, late September. At the same time I pointed out that I was still driving under the 12 month exemption allowance. Ah, we will send you out another D4, fill that out and return it to us, you'll keep your place in the queue.

November back to the hospital for Stress test type 2, where I'm hooked up to machines and pumped with stimulants and medical bubble mixture (the scans show up better) and all goes well. No problem with these results Mr Dram!

And now the Celestial Joke - a week later I'm feeling not quite right and as the day progresses I get quite ill. I contact NHS 24 and that evening I'm admitted to the local hospital and as tests start to be run (at this point I'm sick and I pass out due to low BP) I'm wired for sound and fluids and more tests.

Taken for a body scan and the culprit is discovered - a raptured appendix ( which for some reason decided that it preferred to live tucked away behind the bowel instead of it's usual place - hence all the pain I was experiencing was coming from the left side instead of the right).

Op followed and the following day the surgeon advised me that it had been a very mucky job and had taken longer than usual. Three days later I was out and was told not to drive for two weeks and guess what arrived at that time - my brand new valid driving license complete with C1 (valid thee years)

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to appreciate the gods having a hoot at my expense - pass the heart test and the following week, back in the hospital getting opened up - again! And then the much awaited license turns up.

Doh! As Homer would have said.

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
I had my medical at D4 and sent off my application to DVLA in November, on December the 8th I arrived home after 4 days away and in the post was an envelope from DVLA I could feel a licence inside and thought wow that was quick, on opening it turned out to be my old licence and all my application forms with a letter saying I had ommited to include a cheque for £17, I felt sure I did not have to pay for my renewal but enclosed a cheque so as to get my licence and sent it off recorded delivery and it was signed for at DVLA on 10/12/22 . On 19/12/22 I was checking my bank account and the cheque for £17 hit my bank that day, so I thought that was good they are at least doing something. This morning I received a cheque from the DVLA for £17 and it was dated 14/12/22. So I thought as I never had anything to do today I would spend the morning waiting on the phone to talk to at the DVLA.
Surprisingly the call lasted a full 6 minutes and I got an apology for the business with the payment it should not have been sent back to me asking for payment the young lady assured me my licence had been renewed and posted on 14/12/22 and I am legal to drive,I now wait in anticipation of that other inefficient lot the Royal Mail to get it to me

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
So I thought as I never had anything to do today I would spend the morning waiting on the phone to talk to at the DVLA.
Surprisingly the call lasted a full 6 minutes and I got an apology for the business with the payment it should not have been sent back to me asking for payment the young lady assured me my licence had been renewed and posted on 14/12/22 and I am legal to drive,
Can I ask what number you used please, whereupon you actually got to speak with someone who had a clue what the problem was?

Thanks,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You have to go through quite a few options before you speak to a person
Thanks, though I didn't get much joy last time I had to use that number, re my V5 which they insisted that I need to pay for to be replaced..................despite them losing it. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
I used D4Drivers, only problem was DVLA still had to write to my own doctor which they did two weeks ago, when I contacted my doctors the receptionist said that they had received it but expect to wait 4 to 6 weeks for it to be returned.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I wonder if the D4s done by your own GP result in as many secondary enquiries? They might also feel obliged to respond quicker than 4 to 6 weeks.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
my licence had been renewed and posted on 14/12/22 and I am legal to drive,I now wait in anticipation of that other inefficient lot the Royal Mail to get it to me
If you go to this DVLA webpage.....

You can check online that your licence has been issued.
You’ll need:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Sorry about that, "message to me don't use a mobile phone with those sausage fingers for things that matter" :xblush:
It's not a problem...........but I did come close to unnecessarily renewing a TV Licence. :LOL:

Cheers

Jock. ;)

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
What is the time scale for applying for the C1? I’m now going for my 3rd ( D4drivers previously with no problems). I seem to remember that I have lost 2-3 months each time and my current one expires in June. Something at the back of mind says something about a 90 day window but not sure.

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
What is the time scale for applying for the C1? I’m now going for my 3rd ( D4drivers previously with no problems). I seem to remember that I have lost 2-3 months each time and my current one expires in June. Something at the back of mind says something about a 90 day window but not sure.
Yes I think it’s 3 months , best to get the medical out of the way early and if you don’t envisage any problems leave submitting the application til a couple of weeks before then you don’t lose time like you have in the past, I always send mine recorded delivery so I know it has arrived

Aug 31, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I think it’s 3 months , best to get the medical out of the way early and if you don’t envisage any problems leave submitting the application til a couple of weeks before then you don’t lose time like you have in the past, I always send mine recorded delivery so I know it has arrived
Sent mine 1st class recorded delivery on 12th December, not received at DVLA as of today.
Wish I’d used a next day delivery, as if it’s lost , and not just delayed, it will mean having to pay for another medical, and maybe the cost of a replacement driving licence
Fingers crossed its just delayed due to the postal strikes.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I didn’t lose any time when I renewed my C1 license. I submitted it right at the beginning of the 3 month period and it ran from the original expiry date on my birthday. If you submit the application with more than 56 days left to run on the old license you don’t need to send a new photograph, I think this means they treat it as a renewal rather than a new license and perhaps that is why no time was lost.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I didn’t use my GP and I have been waiting for many weeks. But I don’t know why. It would be interesting to know if using your GP would ‘speed’ up the process.
Just renewed my HGV using own GP took two weeks from submitting to recieving new licence.Hope this helps.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Sent mine 1st class recorded delivery on 12th December, not received at DVLA as of today.
Wish I’d used a next day delivery, as if it’s lost , and not just delayed, it will mean having to pay for another medical, and maybe the cost of a replacement driving licence
Fingers crossed its just delayed due to the postal strikes.
as soon as you send it recorded yo add time to it as it goes to another office is then sorted and eventually sent onto DVLA told my friend this she posted on 12/12/22 had it back Friday no problems but we did go through all the forms and checked that the medical had been completed correctly before she sent it in using first class mail

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back