EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I will be 70 later this year. I understand that I will need a medical to continue driving my 4000kg-plated motorhome, but I am.currently in France and I don't want to go to the U.K. and do quarantine. Does anyone happen to know a British doctor in France, who could do the medical?

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Also, you out in your application then at some point they ask for your original UK licence, and give you an attestation that allows you to drive until the expiry date of the original licence. They warn that the procedure from then may take several months. I still fear being unable to drive for some months.
This must be happening to so many people because of the long delays EdwardFT :(. I would think the most important thing to do is get it sent off before it expires, then if there are delays in the French system you should be covered.
What you do about the DVLA attestation I don't know! If DVLA can't help, perhaps the UK police could provide something... that's not going to be easy from France though. I'd be inclined to send the application off without if you can't get it, because once your application is in the system then you should still be covered as above 🤞🤞🤞. But trying to get a French licence when your British one has already expired could be very problematic if not impossible.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Edward

I think I solved your problem about getting D4 Medical done by a EU registered doctor and then I dropped out of the thread.

Coming back to it, people have raised questions about whether you can apply for a UK licence because the form requires you to say you are UK resident.

Their is no registration of a UK resident, other for non UK Passport holders. A UK passport holder is entitled to enter and reside in the UK at any time and for any length of time from one day to indefinitely.

I am not an expert on immigration.residency law, but I would consider that a person holding an UK passport having spent a night in the UK was a 'resident' for that night.

I can see no basis for a UK passport holder being declared non-resident, unless they wish for other reasons to declare it themselves. If they have not so declared it would be for the authorities to prove that a UK Citizen was non-resident on the facts, if they can find them. [Did I say 'Good luck DVLA on that'? No, I did not - just a naughty thought]

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back