C1 license medical (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone used Weekend Driver Medicals based at Chelmsford Essex for there medical to keep the C1 license, if so what did you think of there service ?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The concept worries me a little as they do not have direct access to your medical records. On the other hand, they seem to be a great concept as they do not have access to your medical records and they are mega cheaper.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Apart from you eyesight,what else do these mobile doctors check?, without your medical records that is?
Is it more a question and answer test, like do you suffer from any of the following, and what meds are you on?
Just interested thats all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I thought the same when with Dr's Wheels last month. The whole thing relies upon honesty, except a blood pressure test and eye sight test.
You declare any medication and I guess that gives them a steer as to areas to probe. They also rely upon the Dr's experience and answers outside of the expected range may cause a bit more of a probe.
At the end, its the license applicant who signs the form declaring the answers are honest and its a criminal offence to lie.
However as the Bin Lorry driver in Glasgow proved, it is possible to lie your way around the application.
That said Dr's wheels are cheap, efficient, its what they do, all day, every day vs a GP who's expensive, difficult to get to see, may or may not have seen you before and may or may not bother to call up your records on the screen.
Its Dr's wheels for me they are the experts at it!!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Had my first C1 medical done at my GP. He was obviously not familiar with filling in the D4 as it got returned by DVLA with lots of red circles indicating missing information.

Just booked my 2nd medical with D4Drivers so hopefully they are more used to filling in the form correctly. Interestingly, they could only give me a Saturday appointment, which is OK by me. It sounds like some full time doctors are doing a bit of moonlighting on the side !!!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had the medical with my own doctor a few weeks ago and he was extremely thorough. Gave me a right old going over including urine test for diabetes. Took half an hour in all.
I could have gone for a cheaper test with one of the on-line doctors but thought that it was worth getting a thorough MOT.
It's not all about saving a couple of bob.

Richard.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Apart from you eyesight,what else do these mobile doctors check?, without your medical records that is?
Is it more a question and answer test, like do you suffer from any of the following, and what meds are you on?
Just interested thats all.

Well it is the same with one's own doctor, e.g. 'have you ever suffered from epilepsy', because you might have done before moving to his surgery. They are not required to test for it, only ask the question - not much different than self-certification for an under 3.5t licence at 70, which could be to drive the same vehicle but at 2-300kgs lighter.

The only difference it is difficult to lie about anything he/she treated you for. And the DVLA are arse-covered with a form signed by a doctor.

Geoff

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Had the medical with my own doctor a few weeks ago and he was extremely thorough. Gave me a right old going over including urine test for diabetes. Took half an hour in all.
I could have gone for a cheaper test with one of the on-line doctors but thought that it was worth getting a thorough MOT.
Richard.

My forthcoming medical with D4Drivers asks that you provide a urine sample to check for diabetes.

OP
OP
chasthedagger
Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
apparently the medical for keeping the C1 is only valid for 1 year dont know if this is the case?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You give the DVLA your doctors details, contact numbers etc and if they are unsure of anything they will contact them.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I thought I read the DVLA now after going with medical companies still have to contact your GP as they now check your medical records after past accidents and not disclosing everything .

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Your medical will last for 3years when your new licence expires and you will have to apply for your C1 again if you want too retain it .This is assuming you are over 70. Sadly the pain of applying has to be repeated .I am to believe the DVLA still contact your family Doctor .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
apparently the medical for keeping the C1 is only valid for 1 year dont know if this is the case?
The medical to retain the licence is only valid for 1 year if 65 or over. Up to 65, valid up to 65 or 5 years whichever comes 1st.
I used D4Drivers earlier in year. Appointment to suit me. I chose Sunday and over £100.00 cheaper than my own GP. That's more than just a few bob

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Mine was face to face with a doctor at a local consultancy room and was over £100.00 cheaper, in fact £120.00 cheaper.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
The medical to retain the licence is only valid for 1 year if 65 or over. Up to 65, valid up to 65 or 5 years whichever comes 1st.
I used D4Drivers earlier in year. Appointment to suit me. I chose Sunday and over £100.00 cheaper than my own GP. That's more than just a few bob
Well had medical for C1 in September DVLA required an exercise ECG all passed OK. Where you get one year from not sure, mine states three years same as DVLA information.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I reached 70 in March this year.as you all know your licence expires on your 70th Birthday ,then you need to apply for renewal which lasts 3 years then you need to reapply every 3 years after. If you want to retain your C1 you have to take a medical if you pass the Medical ,which i recently did my licence was returned to me in Full including my C1 which lasts 3 years.If you do not apply to retain your C1 you will automatically get your licence for 3 years minus your C1 .If as some funsters are aware off, you have a medical problem and feel you would not pass the medical it pays you to just fill your licence form in without renewing your C1.( which will restrict you to driving max3500kg) It will automatically be removed and you will receive your new licence for 3 years minus your C1.If you take the medical and fail they will remove your licence in full stopping you from driving subject to an appeal which will obviously include a medical.whilst on appeal you are allowed to continue driving including in Europe until a final decision is made. BELIEVE me i'v being there and got the tee-shirt. lol

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well had medical for C1 in September DVLA required an exercise ECG all passed OK. Where you get one year from not sure, mine states three years same as DVLA information.
Sorry, I was thinking about a full vocational licence. (hgv/PCV)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Your medical will last for 3years when your new licence expires and you will have to apply for your C1 again if you want too retain it .This is assuming you are over 70. Sadly the pain of applying has to be repeated .I am to believe the DVLA still contact your family Doctor .
Hubby’s renewal at 70 with medical for C1 only lasts for one year. Don’t know why it varies.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Sorry, I was thinking about a full vocational licence. (hgv/PCV)
Medical should be the same for either. The medical is only valid at the time it was taken. It is the length of the licence renewal that dictated how often you have to have one. I am in favour of all drivers having to have periodic medicals and eye sight exams rather than the current self declaration system, not just those over 70.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back