C1 licence over 70 years old...... again. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not going there! My opinion on AGEISM is my opinion. its like Charlton Heston about Guns, when President of the NRA:- "if they want my licence (Gun) they can try and take it from my dead hand". I spent a LIFETIME earning it.

Pete

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Having passed my driving test in 1967 I am now 73 and let my C1 licence lapse at 70 (I had a car and a caravan at the time so it did not seem important) (n)

Now as a motorhome owner I would like to uprate m motorhome to 3800Kg (no problem just a paper exercise)

Question - do I have to take a driving test and a medical or just a medical?

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i found my old paper licence and it says its valid until 2025.
the photo one is just another goverment tax rip off
rant over
by the way i am 61 now so would be70 and i wouldn't have had to pay for medicals and extra photo cards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Having passed my driving test in 1967 I am now 73 and let my C1 licence lapse at 70 (I had a car and a caravan at the time so it did not seem important) (n)

Now as a motorhome owner I would like to uprate m motorhome to 3800Kg (no problem just a paper exercise)

Question - do I have to take a driving test and a medical or just a medical?

NO Just the medical, then you get your C1 back. I found a place in Hull which will do a medical for half the price my surgery wants!. Currently I am waiting for DVLA idiots to come back with a definitive answer to a question about eyesight, after having cataracts done! 3 weeks and not even an acknowledgement!!

Pete

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Been waiting form mine since submitted it on October 28th 2015. Went in with full medical report as required and expected it back for my 70th a month later. A reply came back last week saying they are waiting for further information an it may be another nine weeks. I have sent in two further updates since the first one with two consultant reports and another doctors report. The odd thing is I want the extra 500k to carry the electric bikes and they do not need a licence.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Currently I am waiting for DVLA idiots to come back with a definitive answer to a question about eyesight, after having cataracts done! 3 weeks and not even an acknowledgement!!

This thread prompted me to contact them, their E-Mail does not work. So I rang. Bad move!, press 1 etc; and then shunted back to the first menu have another go and so on after 20 min buggering about and listening to musak. I finally get the Operative, who asks for my details, inside leg etc;. and then advises Oh! yes we got your fax, another dept is dealing with it. they will get back to you in few days!!. so still no idea what they actually require!.

Question for the forum "Is the DVLA fit for purpose"? Vote Here:- NOoooooooooooooo!

Pete

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Thanks Pete :)
If only it was that easy, someone has been rattling their cages at DVLA and they sure have their sights set on the over 70 year old motorhomers who want to carry on driving over 3.5 tons.
Has anyone recently had one of these go through just on a medical?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If only it was that easy, someone has been rattling their cages at DVLA and they sure have their sights set on the over 70 year old motorhomers who want to carry on driving over 3.5 tons.
Has anyone recently had one of these go through just on a medical?

What I fail to understand is:- The vast majority of Motor-homes up to about 4.5 or even 5 tonne are built on the same Basic running gear and Chassis?. So what difference it would make as far as driving is beyond me!. I can only surmise that (as usual) Bureaucracy rules OK? Or put simply "ve vill tell you vat to drive"!

Pete

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Exactly Pete, Mine was fitted with two small box sections to the rear chassis rails by Hobby to enable me to slide in the Alko/Swaiko Vello bike rack as and when we wanted to carry the leccy bikes. Hobby added larger tyres and Rear Air assistance and supplied a four ton plate. The rest of the van is standard 3.5ton specification.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i found my old paper licence and it says its valid until 2025.
the photo one is just another goverment tax rip off
rant over
by the way i am 61 now so would be70 and i wouldn't have had to pay for medicals and extra photo cards
It still is. The government/dvla /whoever managed to convince the EU that the requirement to renew photo was a licence renewal. It isn't.It is still once you pass the test the licence is until the age 70, but the photo requires renewal. Have a hunt around you won't find one person who has ever been prosecuted buy the dvla for failing to renew. Even people who regularly ring/email/fax & ask when are they going to be prosecuted, having photos out of date by 15 years or more.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back