Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The bigger driving schools block book test dates so you could do a week course with test at the end of the week.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Am i correct in thinking those of us who have grandfathers rights, ie never taken hgv test, cannot act as trainers in own 4500kg vehicle with learner, who has car licence, driving. But that it has to be someone who has passed to drive over 3500kg as a trainer.
So we cannot offer "confidence" driving.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So it will cost him 1k, how long does it take to do?

Depends how good a driver he is really.

I did my PSV after 9 hours driving including an hour before the actual test :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I never mentioned an age and your wrong. Back before the EU a 21yr old could walk into as an example Salford Van Hire and hire a 7.5t on a full car licence say to move house, I know this because I've done it. I didn't get my LGV licence till I was 27.

I know age wasn't mentioned and I'm not wrong.
The facility is there to drive after passing the basic driving test, so age and experience must come into the equation, surely?
Or... is it yet another thing that shouldn't apply to folk with Motor Caravans?
I also have hired a 7.5 tonner to move house prior to doing my HGV, but at 24 and with road experience, not straight out of the test station.
Look at the kids passing the basic test....are they competent to drive 7.5 tonnes?
Young kid next to me has just passed her basic test. Lovely kid, but she doesn't know if its Mayday or payday!

In my opinion, no, not without further training and / or experience.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
£1000? Such a shame it's so much. Thank you all I'll let him know. I thought there was just a short course you could do.
It doesn't cost very much more to take the full C (HGV) test.
Motoroamin' do an assessment day to see if you're up to passing and will tell you if they feel you never will be up to a standard to pass.
If you're not it will save a lot of money which other schools will take regardless and hope you pass.
From memory Rick provides free retests until you do pass.
A long drive from Somerset to the Midlands for a few days course but worth using one of the best schools.
Also, many 'schools' aren't...they are booking companies who add their fee and you don't know where of who will be training you until you've paid.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
£1000? Such a shame it's so much. Thank you all I'll let him know. I thought there was just a short course you could do.

It could be more.

I've seen some of the trainers in this area quoting £1500 as a ball park.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Back before the EU a 21yr old could walk into as an example Salford Van Hire and hire a 7.5t on a full car licence say to move house,

They could do yes. That doesn't mean that they were competent to drive it though does it?

I know for certain I wasn't the first time I drove a 7.5 tonner

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It doesn't cost very much more to take the full C (HGV) test.
Motoroamin' do an assessment day to see if you're up to passing and will tell you if they feel you never will be up to a standard to pass.
If you're not it will save a lot of money which other schools will take regardless and hope you pass.
From memory Rick provides free retests until you do pass.
A long drive from Somerset to the Midlands for a few days course but worth using one of the best schools.
Also, many 'schools' aren't...they are booking companies who add their fee and you don't know where of who will be training you until you've paid.

Very useful ..... I'd like my daughter to do the assessment day. She drives for her work and a C1 or C licence might help her with possible advancement but she is nervous / frightened / reluctant / too big a step to book a course. She has done advanced driving and defensive driving and passed the Royal Mail driving test with the highest pass score they had ever issued.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the replies.
He's a Royal Navy helicopter pilot and is trying to schedule it around deployments.
Has he looked at getting the RN to fund the training and therefore do it during his working time?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Very useful ..... I'd like my daughter to do the assessment day. She drives for her work and a C1 or C licence might help her with possible advancement but she is nervous / frightened / reluctant / too big a step to book a course. She has done advanced driving and defensive driving and passed the Royal Mail driving test with the highest pass score they had ever issued.

Sounds like she has a good starting advantage.

http://www.dataacademy.mobi/

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Having grandfather rights I've obviously never taken C1 but I think it's taken in a large (sprinter etc over 3500kg) panel van or Luton.
The C1E is taken in the same vehicle with a large box trailer.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
When we get out of the bloody EU gravy train we could go back to driving up to 7.5 tonne on a car licence like it used to be but I doubt it. :(

No plans to change either licence categories or the Driver CPC as far as I know.
The Europeans may still require both for commercial drivers, we don't know yet.

Where the CPC nonsense is concerned there are now too many vested interests to remove.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No plans to change either licence categories or the Driver CPC as far as I know.
The Europeans may still require both for commercial drivers, we don't know yet.

Where the CPC nonsense is concerned there are now too many vested interests to remove.
I doubt many, if any, rules will be rescinded and probably adopt any new ones as well.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Has he looked at getting the RN to fund the training and therefore do it during his working time?

It had crossed my mind, I'll mention that to him, good shout.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the replies.
He's a Royal Navy helicopter pilot and is trying to schedule it around deployments.

I did 1 and a half days training for the C1 and took the test in the afternoon of the second day.

To be honest the training was well worth the money. Having learned to drive in a fiesta style car with no training given to things like road positioning, mirror work and much more I am of the opinion the B Test should actually restrict you to size as well as weight.

I am a post 97 B license and I think it was a brilliant change. If it was EU instigated perhaps some good things do come out of the EU after all :p

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
You don't learn that on the test. That is part of the CPC which you don't need to do for a motorhome :D
Not drivers hours but you do need to know how to operate a tachograph, both card and disc. Also what the different modes do on it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not drivers hours but you do need to know how to operate a tachograph, both card and disc. Also what the different modes do on it.
Not for the C1 you don't... That is for the C test.

Deleted User
Sorry slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the same test applies if you loose your C1 for medical reasons. Nige had C1 as old enough, until his medical issues. He's currently restricted to 3500kg but after 10 years could apply for C1 bac, he's still got a few years until 10 years are up.

Thank you

Lin :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
No you don't at all. It's a Driver CPC and that is not part or at least not a compulsory part of the DCPC.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the same test applies if you loose your C1 for medical reasons. Nige had C1 as old enough, until his medical issues. He's currently restricted to 3500kg but after 10 years could apply for C1 bac, he's still got a few years until 10 years are up.

Thank you

Lin :)
You never lose your entitlement, it's just taken off you.
As long as you meet the criteria it's simply handed back.

My mate was an HGV driving instructor in the army then after leaving did a couple of years driving in Libya.
Then he quit truck driving and never renewed his HGV licence.
Recently he enquired about getting it back and was told to pass his medical and it would be returned.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Why can you not just take a test for the C1 using your own vehicle ?
Well, I suppose you could BUT who is going to drive you to the test centre (remember you don't have a C1 licence) and once you've passed (if of course you do), it's always been practice (others will enlighten) that you don't drive from the test centre. More importantly, what if you fail? Who is going to drive your vehicle because you haven't passed. You as in the Royal you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back