C1 licence for over 73 yr old (1 Viewer)

Annigonis

Free Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built Chausson Welc
Exp
Since 1993
Hello new on here. Need info regarding test required for C1 licence? Am now 73 and didn't realise this had been left off my licence. My travelling companion has just bought 4500 kg Motorhome and obviously I can't drive it. Couldn't get through to DVLA today to enquire and can't find good explanation on their site. Any info gratefully received. Annigonis

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Annigonis, first you'll need to find out if you are 'fit' enough to pass the medical you'll probably have to take to get your C1 back so might be worth having a chat with your GP first, then if your GP thinks it likely that you'll get through it okay others will be able to tell you how to go about actually doing it all - I'm 20 years younger so haven't had to address this issue yet.

OP
OP
A

Annigonis

Free Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Minxy Girl, thanks for your reply. Physically fit haven't had any problems! So no problem there just interested in the "test". Been driving for 55 yrs and motorhomes for 24. Never expected this minor problem to occur! Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hello,
if you have no health issues now or in the past you should be ok. You will have to have a medical though and you can expect the process to take a while although hopefully not as long as it is for us. Applied in April (last year !) still not heard one way or another!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You should still have "entitlement" and after passing the medical and form filling it should get re-instated (as far as i know).
I let me HGV license lapse then after 2 years thought i had lost it, contacted DVLA and they explained the "entitlement", did my medical and applied, all Re-instated..

Good luck..

OP
OP
A

Annigonis

Free Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Riverbankannie, thanks for your positive reply. Hope you get entitlement soon, shouldn't take that long surely! Shout a bit louder! I'll go ahead and keep you posted. Thanks

OP
OP
A

Annigonis

Free Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1993
Hello rinks, many thanks doesn't look as bad as I first thought. I'll go ahead with form filling and medical and see what happens. Many thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Riverbankannie, thanks for your positive reply. Hope you get entitlement soon, shouldn't take that long surely! Shout a bit louder! I'll go ahead and keep you posted. Thanks
Used to phone up every month, given up now as they just say "it's with medical decision unit"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've just done application for medical reasons rather than age reasons. Hope the following will help.

You need the D2 and D4 forms from the DVLA along with the associated notes. The forms are free and you can have a good look to make sure you will pass the medical. There is no practical or theory test if you already had the C1 entitlement.

First do the opticians bit as that is the cheaper part and if you fail that there is no point in continuing.

Then get your GP to do the rest of the form.

I paid £12 (I think, might have been £20) and £85 but there are places where you can get it done cheaper.

Please check that everything is filled in correctly before you send it off as otherwise you will have it returned :) If it is straight forward and you get a good clerk at the DVLA it will be quick and easy. If not let me know and I will talk you through the appeals process.

Good luck.

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi : as others have said, it is all down to your eyesight and general fitness (in health terms) to drive. Good luck my friend!

:smiley:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I believe there is a company called doctors on wheels who are very good and reasonably priced for a medical

OP
OP
A

Annigonis

Free Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Mickey1, having contacted my doc's and was quoted anything up to £170 for a medical I decided to contact Doctors on Wheels. Marvellous £51 for appt in Exeter very soon. No hassle they have all the forms I just have to show up and have eye sight check and medical. Already paid for. Thanks very much for that info. Have also joined MotorhomeFun as a result.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome to the fun forum

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Used to phone up every month, given up now as they just say "it's with medical decision unit"
I must have been lucky..10 days from posting to getting it back,,Send your application recorded delivery,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks was thinking of doing that.

I didn't use my own doctor,,much to expensive,,,paid £40 at a private practise,,doctor even filled the forms in,,all i had to do was sign each one..

OP
OP
A

Annigonis

Free Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1993
Forgot to say what happened with DVLA sorry started travelling and it was forgotten. I had appt with Doctors on Wheels on 9th February, signed all pages, recorded delivery to DVLA that afternoon. Phoned them to ask question to be told the licence had been posted Wednesday 15th February and received at home on Saturday 18th so was able to drive when required on our journey south. So wonderful service from DVLA, thank you to them.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Forgot to say what happened with DVLA sorry started travelling and it was forgotten. I had appt with Doctors on Wheels on 9th February, signed all pages, recorded delivery to DVLA that afternoon. Phoned them to ask question to be told the licence had been posted Wednesday 15th February and received at home on Saturday 18th so was able to drive when required on our journey south. So wonderful service from DVLA, thank you to them.

Great news and thanks for feeding back the result as i am sure it's something that may get queried again later.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I sent mine 3 weeks ago, optician free,Family Doctor £120 . I was told you can use any Doctor but the will likely still go back to your Doctor for information if they feel they need to.So went on the safe side .Doc just grunted and said I should be ok .The only interest he seemed to show was pocketing the £120 am I surprised No .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back