LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Don't panic everyone, just wanted you all to see the new law on driving vehicles between 3,5t and 7.5t Professionally, ie carrying a load and getting paid to do it, and as motorhomes do not carrying a load except private stuff and the driver does not get paid for driving mh then this ruling does not cover motorhome drivers. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

DVSA has reminded drivers that they now can’t legally drive a 7.5 tonne truck professionally even if it’s on their driving licence unless they have completed the Driver CPC.
Drivers issued with their car licence before 1996 have a C1 entitlement on their licence allowing them to drive professionally a vehicle up to 7.5 tonnes.
However, with the passing of the Driver CPC deadline earlier this month, the entitlement no longer stands unless the individual completed the mandatory 35 hours of Driver CPC training.
A DVSA spokesman confirmed to CM that “although a person’s C1 entitlement remains on their licence, if they didn’t have a CPC they would not be able to drive the vehicle professionally (unless covered by one of the exemptions)”.
Exemptions include taking a vehicle for test, or one in use by the emergency services or army.
The reminder comes after a warning from DVLA that professional drivers must carry their Driver Qualification Cards on them at all times.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If your a 1st aider or drive a fork lift this can count towards it so might not be as bad as you think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Drivers issued with their car licence before 1996

DVLA/DVSA at their best.........they dont even get the date correct.

It is pre Jan 1st 1997.......not before 1996.

But what more do you expect of an organisation which is not fit for purpose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
You need to complete 40 hrs training for cpc card some are charging £80 per 8 hrs. But this is only required for professional drivers

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
You need to complete 40 hrs training for cpc card some are charging £80 per 8 hrs. But this is only required for professional drivers
35 hrs is the requirement 5 x 7hrs,

Alan,

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
did you know that
Belgium
Bulgaria
Denmark
Greece
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
and now france have extensions on the CPC eligibility period. basically only us and the irish have done it, germany aren't doing the CPC as they have a better system in place!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
CPC is a farce - husband has just completed his and as long as you attend 5 courses you can attend the same course 5 times. So for example, if it's more convenient for you to attend a specific course that you have already attended it still counts towards your CPC qualification of 35 hours. Think hubby did Health and Safety twice just because the date was more convenient. More Government badly thought out twaddle!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having held a class 1 HGV licence since 1971 and driven trucks since the age of 15 on a quarry face and having driven on several of the worlds continents I find it rather strange that some young chap can tell me how to do my job. Jobs for the boys and another cash cow for the government springs to mind. Am just wondering what they could possibly teach me in 35 hours ;).

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
CPC is a farce - husband has just completed his and as long as you attend 5 courses you can attend the same course 5 times. So for example, if it's more convenient for you to attend a specific course that you have already attended it still counts towards your CPC qualification of 35 hours. Think hubby did Health and Safety twice just because the date was more convenient. More Government badly thought out twaddle!!
Totally untrue my dear. Each 7 hour course is different. If what you say has happened then the provider of the CPC course needs to come up with some answers.
I've recently completed the CPC course by a company in Rossendale and their presentation was first class. No matter how long you have been driving there's always something that crops up to give you a reminder.
Since reaching 65 I've had to have a medical every year to carry on driving HGV class one vehicles, at least I know that all is well medically. I'm now into my seventies and still work as and when it suits me.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Don't knee jerk, folks.
It's not new, been a requirement for new commercial drivers for some years, now applies to all professional drivers in scope.
It only applies to Commercial driving for vehicles exceeding 3.5 tonnes MGW.
It doesn't apply to motorhomes.
Why worry about it?

For those that have knocked CPC, I agree wholeheartedly.
I's a nonsense.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Rolandrat,
The Dude's statement IS true.
The same course can be undertaken a number of times.
I've found the auditors know little or nothing of the content of the courses, They audit the paper chase, timings and breaks.

Ivory55,
Hi, Colyn.
The business of crediting First Aid, FLT etc. to CPC isn't straightforward.
It can only gain credit hours if the particular course is also registered as a CPC course at the same time.
There is no Accreditation of Prior Learning accepted.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Does this CPC thing also apply to recovery trucks as my brother does all our recovery work as part of his job, I did tell him to check but he didn't seem to be that bothered about it

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
I am totally baffled by all these laws regarding weights and trailer towing which I assume includes caravans , I have had several discussions with friends and nobody seems to be sure of all of it , I passed my car test in 1971 and motorcycle in 1978 I became a ADI in 2000 and hence did the advanced test for driving instruction which is three part and was up on all relevant laws regarding driving and licences , most friends don't know the weight of their vehicle or max weight that vehicle can legally carry , for the average person on the road it can really be baffling .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Does this CPC thing also apply to recovery trucks as my brother does all our recovery work as part of his job, I did tell him to check but he didn't seem to be that bothered about it

Yes.
There are 7 exemptions, recovery vehicles isn't amongst them.
At work we get many recovery drivers doing ADR courses, which they put towards CPC.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi john , I was close I knew my fork and first aid counted. Are you at Lincoln ? If will look out for you. Colyn

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Cheers John I thought as much I'll give him the good news.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Colyn,
Yes, we are at Lincoln.
Hope you and Jill are well.

Fulltimer,
He can get more info from any training provider, DSA or JAUPT.
All in the phone book / on the web.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Thanks I'll get him to check he seems to think that because the recovery side of things is a very small part of his work and not his main job he doesn't need the CPC but it still needs checking out

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Totally untrue my dear.
Totally true my dear. See post by JohnP10 .
Each 7 hour course is different. If what you say has happened then the provider of the CPC course needs to come up with some answers.
I agree that each 7 hours course is different, however drivers are not obliged to attend the different courses, they only have to attend 35 hours worth of courses.
I've recently completed the CPC course by a company in Rossendale and their presentation was first class. No matter how long you have been driving there's always something that crops up to give you a reminder.
No quibble with this statement.
Since reaching 65 I've had to have a medical every year to carry on driving HGV class one vehicles, at least I know that all is well medically. I'm now into my seventies and still work as and when it suits me.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks I'll get him to check he seems to think that because the recovery side of things is a very small part of his work and not his main job he doesn't need the CPC but it still needs checking out
There were two recovery drivers on my course.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
The only exemption that might apply for recovery vehicle drivers is that "the vehicl is only used to carry equipment used by the driver in the course of his work and that the drivers main work is not driving". Must say that I can't see many recovery vehicle drivers satisfying this criteria.

It is correct that you can do the same course twice (even 5 times) but that would be the drivers choice. The UK decided to leave that choice to the driver rather than to push all drivers down the same path and make the choices for them. The DCPC has verged on the fiasco this first round and we can only hope that in subsequent years it will proove to be the useful (and necessary) tool that it was intended to be.

Although there are many professional drivers out there, I have come accross a very large number who have "been driving for twenty years" only to find that their knowledge of tacho regs also goes back at least that far and does not seem to have kept pace with the enormous changes in that and many other areas.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Our transport section did a reviue of what drivers thought of the courses they did every one 30 at last count stated only drivers hours and drivers working time directive was worth doing and said they did learn something
The rest was a load of poo

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi All, As normal i think that most people interpret the bits they think they know,i have a 4.5 motorhome classed as private hgv,and i need a medical every year,so it depends on the class of your motorhome,did anyone say that ? perhaps the eggheads on here would clarify the answer for all to see,so we dont drift away to other things,H

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
What you mention is a driving licence issue.
C1 licence category requires a medical (the frequency of which is age related).
What is being discussed here is the need (or not) to qualify for the DCPC.
The two aren't related.
This DCPC doesn't apply to you as the driver of a motorhome, it's only needed for commercial use.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
These were my 5 modules:-
1. EU drivers hours rules and working time directive 2. digital tachographs, manual entries and the management.
2.drivers daily walkround checks, tyres and wheels and defect reporting. Fuel efficiency and safety on the road.
3. Load safety and drivers legal responsibilities. Health and safety awareness.
4. Driver manual handling. Customer care and driver security.
5. Alcohol and drugs, driver welfare, Road traffic accident procedures and general fire safety.
Each one represented 7 hours each day in a lecture room.

These modules were very well presented, whether some people think they are a waste of time then that's their business but anything that can help to promote road safety and awareness is a definite plus as far as I'm concerned. The roads are full of self righteous idiots who think they know it all. We are members of an organisation called Roadpiece having lost a very close relative because of a so called professional drivers stupidity.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Say what you want about DCPC, but the folk who think it's either needed or of benefit are few, usually with a vested interest in making money from the training.

Let's be clear on the requirements.
Drivers in scope are required to ATTEND these courses, there is no examination or confirmation of any kind.
I know drivers who have taken no part in the proceedings but still have the time accredited.
A nonsense, surely?

With 10 or so EU Nations (major players in the transport industry) not doing it, our industry and our drivers are once again put at a financial disadvantage.

Enforcement is possible in any EU State, and is based on implementation dates.

Scenario:
British, German and Dutch drivers are stopped in the UK, none of which have a current DCPC Card.
A prohibition is placed on the vehicle, the Brit and his company get fined, German and Dutchman go on their way.

The same three get stopped in Germany.
A prohibition is placed on the vehicle, the Brit and his company get fined, the other two go on their way.

The same three get stopped in Holland.
A prohibition is placed on the vehicle, the Brit and his company are fined, the other two go on their way.

This is an EU level playing field?
How?

In addition to ADR, and DCPC, there has been yet another "qualification" introduced for fuel tanker drivers, the Petroleum Drivers' Safety Passport.
This is in what must be just about the best trained section of the industry.

It's about money gathering, nothing more.
Lorry drivers must be the only section of the workforce who have to pay to go to work.
There has been no demonstration of any of these extra training needs, just assumptions.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Just an aside:

When the DCPC was coming in, I was visited at a training company by a rep from a major national UK training provider, well respected within industry.
He asked if I was getting involved, I told him I wasn't and gave my reasons for not doing so.

He said "Oh, you should, John.......There's money to be made".

THAT is the main thing wrong with it.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
wouldnt it have been better to not involve people who have actually been using 7.5 ton vehicles since 1997. Thats how they did it in the early 70s when HGV licences were first btought out. My son works in the building industry as a concrete finisher, and you wouldnt believe how many courses he has had to go on to use tackle needed to do his job. These courses always take up the best parts of a day, and need paying for, and have to be redone after a time. You will end up having to do a canteen course to make a pot of tea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back