Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Had a doodle and came up with this design

DSC00007-1.jpg

The door will be on the other side and windows aswell, just didnt fit them in the messing about.
I want the door on the side as to the rear so i can fit and use an awning better. The overhang is 30 inch, not to bad, the spare wheel will be on the back end with ladder to the roof storage.

its what i would like but we will see, weight is the thing i want to keep down.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is looking good

Had a doodle and came up with this design

DSC00007-1.jpg

The door will be on the other side and windows aswell, just didnt fit them in the messing about.
I want the door on the side as to the rear so i can fit and use an awning better. The overhang is 30 inch, not to bad, the spare wheel will be on the back end with ladder to the roof storage.

its what i would like but we will see, weight is the thing i want to keep down.

Progress, it is looking good.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. unless you already have the awning i wouldnt bother . even more so if you arent going to use campsites .awnings give the game away. had them but dont bother anymore.
they arent cheap. better to use the money somewhere else. but crack on you have loads watching your progress. .think fancy curves around the roof area might cause probs . although if your good with fibreglass it can be done . hope you suprise everyone . you might start a trend . better to try, than wish you had. i started my garage business almost as a dare in a pub. glad i did . mind also glad i dont have it now . but he that dares wins .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Looking good so far, just check out the overhang situation, sure I read somewhere that you can only have an overhang of upto a third of the actual wheelbase of the vehicle

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Link Removed this one is expensive

this one is cheap
Link Removed

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Looking good so far, just check out the overhang situation, sure I read somewhere that you can only have an overhang of upto a third of the actual wheelbase of the vehicle

Hi, the legal limit for overhang at the rear, on a fixed body is 60% of the wheel base. what you have in your drawing should be fine..Looking good so far.

Good luck

cheyne

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Morning all:Smile:

The reason i want to build my own is the cost to buy one ( also i rarley by, if i can make it i will LOL ) , they can be daft money and then, like a caravan, a cheap once can/will be rotten damaged, for the price i can build my own and to my own spec cheaper::bigsmile:

The wheel base is 121 inch or 10 foot so i am fine with the over hang as it is only going to be around 30 inch, well within the 60 %, i was even going to build a small recovery bed for it to transport off road buggys.

I have been thinking about the curved roof, its all down to the roof section i have, previous pics, if it curves enough it will be fine to bend around the frame once made, i need to check that still, but if it doesnt bend so easy the roof panel i got offered is a lot thinner so i could end up getting that aswell.

I would be best doing to as i still havnt measured the rolls i have to see if i can get the 2 sides out of one, i need 26 foot in total for the sides, i did a quick measure up and got 25 foot but it wasnt laid out fully.

One thing to say, if you are going to rip a caravan apart over a weekend and make a mess of the garden with polystyrene all over the place, i wouldnt bother unless you want the chassis, or an idae to get some mney from the ally.............£39 for 2 days graft:cry:

Anyway of to work:RollEyes:

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Still on with this project, but nothing more done as the pick has blown the turbo:Angry:, i have sent it off for a rebuild, not cheap as with all turbos.

The thing i cant decide on is the frame and what to make it from, the main chassis will be 50mmx25mmx2mm steel box, the outer frame which i mite be forming the curves myself in a bender i am going to make will be from 25mm x 10mm x 1.6mm steel.
Only as i can get this dirt cheap at £1.50 for 6m lengths, as in 25mm x 25mm x 1.6mm at £12 for 6.5m lengths

I cant decide on the inner frame, as in around the windows, braces etc etc, if to use more 25 x 10 steel or 25 x 25 treated timber and fixed in place with brackets to save weight.

If it is going to be steel, along with the GRP sheet i have the shell alone with jack legs will be around 350kg. then its the windows and fitting out to consider in the weight.

I was going to shorten the rear over hang to save weight and have the door at the rear but after working it out it wont save much at all, but still seeing which will be better as i want to have a loo room on board. Actualy i dont think there is much benefit in rear or side door.

Well just a bit of whats been going on in my wee head for the last so many weeks:RollEyes:.

In The Picture

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1987
Hi All, just found this thread and it's very interesting to me because I'm considering another self build on a DAF 45 7.5 ton. I've used alu sheet in the past, but I'm considering GRP sheet on the roll and just wondering about fixing & expansion. Do you know if I need to fix GRP to a frame in a warm environment like you need for alu sheet in order to ensure it's fully expanded? Also, what is it like for fixing? Obviously it needs mechanical fixing with screws or such-like, but can it also be fixed in places with Gripfill or similar? I would really appreciate your views / experience please. many thanks!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What happened to the op , did it get built, looked interesting

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi All, just found this thread and it's very interesting to me because I'm considering another self build on a DAF 45 7.5 ton. I've used alu sheet in the past, but I'm considering GRP sheet on the roll and just wondering about fixing & expansion. Do you know if I need to fix GRP to a frame in a warm environment like you need for alu sheet in order to ensure it's fully expanded? Also, what is it like for fixing? Obviously it needs mechanical fixing with screws or such-like, but can it also be fixed in places with Gripfill or similar? I would really appreciate your views / experience please. many thanks!

Alu softer and lighter. GRP on a roof normally floats to allow for expansion....weight crucial in a demountable! I ran them for years only changed because kids kept growing:(

We had a few of these: they are now very expensive

http://overland-live.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/demountable-camper-review-s-karosser.html

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back