johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ok an update... the main lake has gone.. the roof is straight up there now. What's left is a lip on the edge of roof, offside, that will unfortunately prevent water from leaving that side.. I will come back to that later.

The other main problem, is the [a] general sag in the whole roof, goes back to the front vent.. so a new lake can form near the vent now..

There is only one practical solution to get the roof completely straight again.. an internal arch..:Eeek:

but there are some positives to this...

I get some nice strong wood in the van, both sides of it will be useful for shelves, mounting speakers and probably lots of other things.

There is an annoying gap above the internal padded forward facing walls (that mark the transition from motorhome to cab) that at the moment are covered by silly privacy side-curtains.. these gaps would be banished by solid walls..

there is already a gap in front of the forward lockers, for the arch to go, I dont have to change the inside of the van at all

adding weight up front is not going to harm the payload.

it may sound proof the overhead a tiny it from the rest of the van

when driving, the flexing of this weakened roof will lessen

an arch may look nice
it will strengthen that part of the roof and make more more confident to walk up there, especially for sealing and painting the overhead..

So as I have been using ply, I thought the same but much thicker would be strong enough..
I will need to jack the roof up and get the arch in..
I can't really make it one peice (8' x8' wood needed!) and I would never get it in van.. so the top of the arch can be one part and the support panels the other 2.. they can all come from an 8x4 sheet :RollEyes:

of to timber yeard later, unless someone comes up with a good reason not to ? :thumb:

question, is an arch strongest when a perfect circle? I can't really make that, my arch will need to be flattened...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back