Bye bye Safeguard, hello Comfort

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by carolyn, Mar 5, 2018.

1. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Ratings:
    +3,569
    just saved £71 by changing to Comfort, gave Safeguard a chance to match it but no movement ar all. £312 icluding Europe so very pleased.

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  2. Solwaybuggier

Solwaybuggier Funster

Ratings:
    +219
    We had a similar experience recently - Safeguard were saying their underwriter had increased costs by 15%. If that applies across the board and other underwriters make lower hikes, I guess they will lose quite a lot of business.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. janveg

janveg Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    just renewd to day, safeguard £629 comfort £375 never was good at maths

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +6,045
    In spite of an increase in insurance tax. My renewal with Comfort was £10 less than last year. Been with them for years and they have never put the premium up unreasonably for existing customers the way many do.

• Like it Like it x 2
  5. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Ratings:
    +1,295
    I hate to follow the crowd but we may well be doing exactly the same, 635 from Safeguard renewal at the mo and 380 from Comfort, thats without me moaning about the price though :cautious:, there are differences in the cover but for us they are irrelevant. (It'll probably go up just to make sure I leave).

Really hurts me to move back to Comfort after the complete mess they made with our breakdown recovery leaving us stranded for 6 hours, but I have FlexPlus and CamperAssist to fall back on this time and actually I dislike giving a company 250 odd pounds for nothing:D

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,220
    I have just left Comfort because they wanted an extra £50 from £315 to £365 for 2000miles increase from 4000 miles a year even though the last 6 years we have not used the mileage paid for.
    Agreed not a big deal but I thought it was a cheek so said goodbye.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  7. f6c

f6c Funster

Ratings:
    +1,520
    Great to see all you funsters saving money, but we have an A class windscreen replacement £4,000 Comfort Cover £1,500 love to go with them but safeguard unlimited windscreen cover! Premium £730:00

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Hellski

Hellski Funster

Ratings:
    +3,007
    I’m with comfort and my windscreen limit is £3,000.

Maybe worth a call to check with them although you will still have a shortfall but depends on the overall saving on the premium, as you could put any savings towards the additional cost if ever required?

9. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,275
    Our A Class screen seems to be a magnet for stones so I will be staying with Safeguard for now.
    Also, Comfort require a tracker and don’t recognise our Vanbitz ‘non starter’.
    Our Safeguard premium went up by about 14% this year but I had just been reading that motor premiums had risen by that sort of amount overall so wasn’t too concerned.
    With unlimited mileage and 365 days European cover, plus the fall in value of the pound versus the euro making some claims more expensive, I considered it fair although I’m never happy at paying more. :(

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 3
  10. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Ratings:
    +4,830
    I claimed over £2.5k from Safeguard for damage to the van last November, and was expecting a big hike in premium. They only raised it by £50. I'm sticking with them, I find them most accommodating. They cover the van whether it's in storage (10 miles away) or whether it's parked on the road outside my house (from where I had a van pinched 10 years ago) being worked on/cleaned etc, and include AA cover at home and in Europe.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +663
    I have a A Class and i am with comfort and i can see the Glass claim is a max of £3000, what does a windscreen cost on an A Class as if it is significantly more i will have to move when it comes up for renewal soon?

12. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +23,333
    Neil did you not claim it back? We had a similar situation and got an extra £75 back :)

Recently when I changed address Comfort wanted an extra £370 for the remaining 8 months on policy. I rang them up and they lowered it by almost £200. Different underwriter now with a few less additions but its good enough for what I want. Worth an ask how much your quote would be as they don't offer unless you ask I was told.

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,168
    The policies are not like for like, so read the small print to see what’s important to you. I have also gone to comfort at a saving of £300 but if I need a green card it’s £33 a week with Comfort, and included with Safeguard. Safeguard do not give you the option to NOT have breakdown cover which I wanted as I’m with RAC Arrival

Comfort. Safeguard

Limited mileage. Unlimited mileage
    Breakdown optional. Breakdown not optional
    Green card extra. Green card included 365 days
    Windscreen cover £3000. Windscreen cover unlimited
    180 days European cover. 360 days European cover

There are other differences such as no cover if unattended for over 48 hours etc, but don’t refer to me check your policy ta.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Ratings:
    +1,295
    Did a get a partial refund and a phone bill paid by RAC though, Comfort blamed RAC.

Completely agree, but these change all the time i.e. Comfort can now offer 365 days foreign use.

15. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +18,813
    why people knock nfu i have no idea(n) i dont care either road but on ours its been around £270 for 5 years this time even though claiming for a window replacement in germany it has actually gone down £20 without even asking.

16. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Ratings:
    +6,433
    @f6c ... I’ve just had my Knaus A class screen replaced .... last Thurs 24th by Autoglass.. ( second one since new)

I’m Insured via Comfort...
    10k miles pa
    Max for screen stated as 4k ... and excess £75... i paid £75

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +26,205
    Just got my renewal through from Safeguard £618 , but with an a class and the differences mentioned above might just pay the extra and stay .

18. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,900
    I am having to leave Comfort for Safeguard as we are importing and comfort will not insure on the vin number it’s a shame as their quote for this year was only £2 up on last years.(y)

19. joka250

joka250 Funster

Ratings:
    +779
    Insurance is a bummer whoever you try to deal with. I won't knock any of them but I will happily point out difficulties e.g. NFU won't cover me because the post code not acceptable, it's a farm for goodness sake. Only Caravan Club insurance will provide me with adequate travel insurance but thats tied into European breakdown so i cant use Comforts European cover as they don't do travel cover. And so it goes on. Biggest headache of the year insurance renewal, is the cover adequate, is the price o k , is house covered when I'm away for 9 weeks and on and on. Thank goodness that having resolved all this (hopefully) we can climb aboard our trusty MH and drive off into the sunset and just worry about grey waste, A frames and being overweight.

• Like it Like it x 3
  20. Tanya_and_Mick

Tanya_and_Mick Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,571
    Ditto on Comfort Insurance on our MoHo - Carvan & Motorhome Club was crazy, Comfort >£300 cheaper; plus no size restriction on EU breakdown cover.

No brainer and well done Comfort......