Buying used Esprit FIAT motorhome 2004 (1 Viewer)

Jakesy1968

Free Member
Jan 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm literally brand new to this. I'm considering buying the above, 2004, 30k, £20k. But...how do I know that it's straight... I've heard of habitation checks, know about Mots, checking it's not stolen or on finance etc but want to know that it's going to serve me well as I'm likely to go "off grid" and have heard about uprated batteries, solar panels, need excellent WiFi because I'll be working whilst I'm away, want to uprate the gas to gasflo....so lots to think about. Any advice would be very very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Dethleffs Esprit is a very, very large but nice M'home.
Lots to learn about Motorhomes. Ask for a thorough handover if You buy it from a ddealer or even privately. They should show You everything works OK.
Carry out a MOT History on.gov website.
Carry out a HPi Check. Be careful if it's not paid for as technically it does not belong to the seller but the Finance Company own it until the debt is repaid.
Lots of people fit accessories & carry out hab Checks including Myself a Mobile Tech.
Have a really good look around for signs of damp in the van especially in the floor.

OP
OP
J

Jakesy1968

Free Member
Jan 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the reply...but as I said I know about the basis having bought many cars... I'm much more interested in specifics of a MH including what I've already listed but also it's mechanical standard. Basically I want to pay someone to crawl all over it and give me a technical assessment...any recommendations?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
As well as the engine battery there should be another battery in the back called a leisure battery or auxilliary battery. This powers the camper stuff. You will have 12V, 240V, LPG and water systems in the camper. When you have a Habitation Check all these systems should be checked.
Same as a house gas & electric can be safe and also dangerous.
eg, a gas hose is usually made of rubber and can perish over time and should be replaced when required.
Water can freeze, pipes can leak, motorhomes and caravans can suffer from water ingress and damp. They can also become damp from leaks 'inside' the motorhome.
Solar panels are just a way to top up your battery or batteries if you are off grid eg, wild camping.
There should be a 240V to 12V battery charger on board that will recharge your battery.
Batteries don't last forever though. I have just renewed Mine as it was a few years old not because it had failed.
Like I say lots to learn and it will take time to learn.
Motorhomes can be great fun and ideal to just go somewhere when the Sun comes out.
Like most people you normally start off with an oldish van and slowly upgrade or rent one first to learn the ropes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back