Buying privately (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all, it's me, the pest again needing your wise words of wisdom.
I have a bit of a dilemma going on with our first purchase of a motorhome.
We have looked at a Hymer Exis T 588 at a dealer. £ 49,995. It is a 14 plate with 19k miles. The dealer has offered to discount an awning by 50% as the MH does not have this. They have also offered to discount a set of tyres as I asked for a new set. I don't know what age the tyres on it are but assume they could be original and therefore 6yrs old.
I am also going to ask that the warranty is extended to 1yr from 6mths. I may also ask for discount on a safefill gas bottle and I am going to push for as many other extras I can think of.
I am happy with the dealer response so far.

The problem. I have just spotted this on autotrader and by all accounts looks like a better van. It is one yr younger with less mileage. It has recently had it's 5yr cam belt exchange along with guide and tensioner £666. It also has, according to the owner, had a recent habitation check £330.
The seller has been very good at communication.

Broken Link Removed

I am still worried about being scammed. I am supposed to be going to see this MH tomorrow. I could fob off the dealer until Friday but is it worth the risk for a saving of 3k?

The private sale one looks like it's in better condition, with an awning and very good mechanically and cosmetically.

phew...sorry about the length of post
TIA

OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Depends on the insurance company most allow up to 48 hour away from designated storage when unocupied.
[/QUOTE
I think the item Cherub was referring to was this <Broken link removed>:
The point I was raising was it's good (parents had one in their caravan) however it does mean you may also have to carry chairs for sitting out in the sun (remember what that is given the weather we've got at the moment?).:Smile:
Hence separate chairs and table may be a better option for you?:unsure:
Aha, now I understand. We have a couple of those cheap folding camping chairs from Asda and they were ok for last year but would probably like something a bit better so I'll have a look at them yes.

I have another newbie question. I should probably start another thread but as this one is still relatively active.
The Boss went out and bought a 12v kettle and toaster. I told her (asked gently from a distance) to take it back as I've read they take an age to boil and quicker with the gas ring. We would still have the roaster and I'm not sure whether to return this also as there will probably be a grill in the oven.
My main point on the subject is are 12v able to run of 240v too?
If we're hooked up on a CS then will they run on 240v?
What happens if you run the 12v off 240v I'm rubbish at electrics.... :unsure:

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Aha, now I understand. We have a couple of those cheap folding camping chairs from Asda and they were ok for last year but would probably like something a bit better so I'll have a look at them yes.

I have another newbie question. I should probably start another thread but as this one is still relatively active.
The Boss went out and bought a 12v kettle and toaster. I told her (asked gently from a distance) to take it back as I've read they take an age to boil and quicker with the gas ring. We would still have the roaster and I'm not sure whether to return this also as there will probably be a grill in the oven.
My main point on the subject is are 12v able to run of 240v too?
If we're hooked up on a CS then will they run on 240v?
What happens if you run the 12v off 240v I'm rubbish at electrics.... :unsure:
Simple answer (hopefully).
To run a 12v appliance off a 230v supply you would need a 230v AC to 12v DC adapter.
The best \ easiest \ simplest solution is get a gas kettle (we've got one of these Broken Link Removed) and assuming there is a grill as part of the cooker use that. Less to lug around given your outstanding payload question.
There are loads of threads on chairs on the forum with varying views from the Funsters as to brand \ style \ etc. Have a search using the drop down at the right of the blue bar at top.

ps slap a bit of sirloin steak on the black eye after the Boss whacked you. Allegedly it works wonders but haven't been able to try as we can't afford it.:crying:;):giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Forget about a 12v kettle & toaster waste of time. Yes you can use them when on a hook as mains will be charging your batteries and the 12v supply is still live but they won't work any better.
Gas kettle is the best option, if you do use hook up a lot you might want to get a low wattage mains kettle but not essential.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Simple answer (hopefully).
To run a 12v appliance off a 230v supply you would need a 230v AC to 12v DC adapter.
The best \ easiest \ simplest solution is get a gas kettle (we've got one of these Broken Link Removed) and assuming there is a grill as part of the cooker use that. Less to lug around given your outstanding payload question.
There are loads of threads on chairs on the forum with varying views from the Funsters as to brand \ style \ etc. Have a search using the drop down at the right of the blue bar at top.

ps slap a bit of sirloin steak on the black eye after the Boss whacked you. Allegedly it works wonders but haven't been able to try as we can't afford it.:crying:;):giggle:

I've got a camping kettle I got last year for going off on the bike. It's big enough for the two of us so that'll do.
I'll do a search on the chair thing though I don't think we'll be using them much right now it's not stopped pissing down since we got the van:cautious: grrrrrrr

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Forget about a 12v kettle & toaster waste of time. Yes you can use them when on a hook as mains will be charging your batteries and the 12v supply is still live but they won't work any better.
Gas kettle is the best option, if you do use hook up a lot you might want to get a low wattage mains kettle but not essential.
Yep suspected so I'll give both a miss. cheers (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I've got a camping kettle I got last year for going off on the bike. It's big enough for the two of us so that'll do.
I'll do a search on the chair thing though I don't think we'll be using them much right now it's not stopped pissing down since we got the van:cautious: grrrrrrr

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
But it's forecast to get better!:clap2:
6pm on Saturday the cloud cover is down to 3% (for an hour!).:rolleyes:
Don't think we'll get much sun though as sunset's at 4:39pm.:crying:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
But it's forecast to get better!:clap2:
6pm on Saturday the cloud cover is down to 3% (for an hour!).:rolleyes:
Don't think we'll get much sun though as sunset's at 4:39pm.:crying:
Still trying to get used to the van before we go. Heating, telly etc etc. I'll have plenty of time to read up on it all while in the van out of the rain::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi Steve, it's so exciting isn't it sat there playing/testing everything, making lists whilst drinking tea and at the same daydreaming of travels to come and new adventures. I look forward to hearing about your travels soon!
Regards
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi Steve, it's so exciting isn't it sat there playing/testing everything, making lists whilst drinking tea and at the same daydreaming of travels to come and new adventures. I look forward to hearing about your travels soon!
Regards
Dave
Hi Dave
I’ll be more exited when we set off early tomorrow morning. If I’m honest I’m just a little anxious about getting everything working right.
So far I’ve had the heating running on boost from gas and adjusted the temps. Tested the hot water too. Can’t seem to get the boiler running of electricity/ leisure battery although I understand it would be a bad idea to run it off that for any length of time. Or are you able to run it off the leisure battery at all or a mix?
I’ve got the telly going but limited channels and a lot of interference on most. I have the Ariel up ok.
had the water running in bathroom sink and hot. Just to practise draining the grey water which is electronic. I know where it is though at least.
we’re looking forward to our stay in fort Augustus for two nights from Friday and van will get it’s real test then. Many thanks to you and all the other funsters for your good wishes. I’m off to ikea now to get some of that knobbly rubber matting to wrap and insulate dishes.

talk later and thanks again
Steven

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I’ve got the telly going but limited channels and a lot of interference on most. I have the Ariel up ok.
Sounds like it was originally sold by yet another Hymer dealer who knows nothing about then. Hymer have a built in TV aerial might be worth trying that if you can find the cable (may have an "F" connector on the end) . You will need to enable 5v antenna power on the TV to power the amplifier.

Upvote 0

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Can’t seem to get the boiler running of electricity/ leisure battery although I understand it would be a bad idea to run it off that for any length of time. Or are you able to run it off the leisure battery at all or a mix?

Hi Steve, it's usually either gas or 240v to heat the water and provide blown air heating, I don't think you can run your hot air or hot water off your leisure batteries.

Dave

Upvote 0

Deleted User
'Mix' only works when you're on 240v site hookup otherwise it runs off your Gas and the leisure battery's 12v for the fan and you'll still get full heating and hot water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Can’t seem to get the boiler running of electricity/ leisure battery although I understand it would be a bad idea to run it off that for any length of time. Or are you able to run it off the leisure battery at all or a mix?

Hi Steve, it's usually either gas or 240v to heat the water and provide blown air heating, I don't think you can run your hot air or hot water off your leisure batteries.

Dave
Hi Dave
Yes called the seller and he said same. Had it running off the gas no problem. Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Sounds like it was originally sold by yet another Hymer dealer who knows nothing about then. Hymer have a built in TV aerial might be worth trying that if you can find the cable (may have an "F" connector on the end) . You will need to enable 5v antenna power on the TV to power the amplifier.
Hi Lenny, I called the seller. Apparently there is a display next to the aerial. He told me to turn the aerial until the light turns green so still to try that. I can also turn the aerial from horizontal to vertical. Will try later the van is still at the Fiat dealer in falkirk. By the time they'd finished work on the van it was too late to get there last night.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny, I called the seller. Apparently there is a display next to the aerial. He told me to turn the aerial until the light turns green so still to try that. I can also turn the aerial from horizontal to vertical. Will try later the van is still at the Fiat dealer in falkirk. By the time they'd finished work on the van it was too late to get there last night.
That is the aftermarket fit aerial not the Hymer one.
What was it at the dealer for? I missed that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
That is the aftermarket fit aerial not the Hymer one.
What was it at the dealer for? I missed that.
It was booked in already by the seller for recall work on a transmission cable. That's all I know. Going back over today to pick it up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Well. first trip way at Loch Ness Highland Resort. Not been out at all apart from a trip to the shower. Can't believe I had a shower in a freezing shower toilet block with soaking wet floors and leaves blowing in. trying to get dried and put on fresh socks lol. Amazing what you'll do as a happy camper :roflmto:. Only two other vans here, the others left this morning.:giggler:
The novelty of it has kept us here and we're quite happy with out bottle of red and a homemade roast chicken and leek pie with parsley,sweetcorn and creme fraiche in it. Veg and totties are going into the frying pan with boiling water from the kettle.
We had 25% tank of fresh water and that seems to be lasting ok. I don't have a hose to connect to the water outlet next to the electrical hook up but we won't need it this trip. I notice water connection is a screw fit so I'll need to get myself one of those and a length of hose. I'm wondering if the screw fit would be same as the hozelock fittings.
I just have to add we had the best fish and chips ever at Monster fish and chip shop in Fort Augustus. It was freezing last night and we were hungry but I've had some pretty crappy fish and chips over the years and pretty fussy as a chef but this was different. Highly recommended.
Heading home tomorrow for work on monday....can't wait🤮

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Most taps are ¾bsp same as Hozelock connectors.
Why use a shower on site in these times when you have a perfectly good one in the van.
Good to know Lenny. the last owners looked after the van so well so we're trying to do the same but yes, why? the place is deserted and we only have 25% tank of water and no hose so it was no problem to use the facilities we thought

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Great isnt it. You need a small bag with lots of different tap connections, a couple with jubilee clips are also handy (y)

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I used to carry a 10m water hose on recommendation, after not using it in five years I left it home. I now have a 2m hose and a 10ltr carrier which gets used the most.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I used to carry a 10m water hose on recommendation, after not using it in five years I left it home. I now have a 2m hose and a 10ltr carrier which gets used the most.
Only problem with that is if the hose doesn't reach and the water it timed it will cost a lot to fill up with the container.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My hose collection.