Buying or selling (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Looking at the amount of vehicles bought and sold with timing belts needing replacement obviously both buyer and seller are aware.

You purchase vehicle and on drive home belt fails wrecks engine and left with 5k engine bill where do you stand.

Just curious as i think knowing that it needed replacement it would be down to purchaser for not getting it done knowing it could fail and taking a chance.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say if its private sale and both parties know the full history and the fact that the timing belt is overdue then "its tough" your fault, if the truth was hidden then a different matter.

Martin

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Probably on nearside of vehicle , safer to stand there
Answer to your question in reality You bought it its your problem .
If bought from a business as vehicle trader then different matter
but still not absolute , depending on your knowledge at time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
It surprises me that people dont do them or buy vehicle knowing they need replacement on expensive vehicles ÂŁ500 is cheaper than new engine/remanufactured or 2nd hand engine and removal and refitting cost

i can understand on a cheapo banger but i was just curious with peoples views

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
"Caveat emptor" - buyer beware. As a buyer I feel that I need to ask questions and receive answers to satisfy myself of what I am buying and the condition it is in. Regarding the can belt , then I will not accept the word that it has been done only evidence in an invoice or I require a drop in the price that will cover the cost of replacing the belt plus my hassle factor or I walk away and I have.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I always change the cam belt after buying a vehicle unless documentary evidence shows a good quality cam belt and tensioners has been changed recently.
When we sold our last van it was close to change time again, due to age not mileage and I told the buyer.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I always change the cam belt after buying a vehicle unless documentary evidence shows a good quality cam belt and tensioners has been changed recently.
When we sold our last van it was close to change time again, due to age not mileage and I told the buyer.
I agree any s/hand vehicle I have bought has had belt(if it is not chain) and full service before I have used it.I never take the word "it has been changed/serviced "unless I see a receipt from a garage.Too costly mistake!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
There are so many variables with timing belts.
Mileage, time since last change, were the components genuine or OE, cheap motor factor or worse (eBay?), was the tensioner changed at the same time, was the fitter competent and so on...
I have the belt and tensioner changed by a trusted mechanic every time I purchase a used vehicle, it just seems the sensible thing to do.

A private seller can't be anything more than honest, after that it's the buyer's responsibility imo.
Historically, I've bought privately but since Consumer Rights have been reformed I'm far more inclined to buy from a dealer, as the protection offered is so great. (I understand it's making life difficult for even the most legitimate dealers)
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I tend to get belt kit so it all gets changed i will also get waterpump changed if driven by timing belt but just curious what others did

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back