Buying land France Spain or Portugal (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
There's big plot near to us that's only had a camper on for a few years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Many have for sure, seen many in Portugal and Spain, some with water connected, getting electric is expensive, solar is an option....security could be a problem.....would the parking be to permanently house a motorhome or use for 90 day visits.......is the ban on wild camping, which will increase in time be the reason.....interesting project, are you in fear of other people......be interested to hear your reasons....

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Id like to do that here in england ,(sorry i cant help with overseas ) but i shall watch with interest your replies,i think security would be a problem in some places,

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Theres the other guy too, Ash I think his name is Lost in Europe. Bought land in north Sweden. Beautiful scenery but he's probably still snowed in until June.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I think JJ has land in Portugal where he lives most of the time in his motorhome
he may be able to help answer some of your questions

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Just looking at maybe spending a bit more time in one spot grow a bit of fruit and veg my can will run ok in solar so not bothered about electric maybe put a septic tank in .

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a small, beautiful orchard in Central Portugal which I bought a few years ago using some loose change I found in my tights...

It is well away from other folk.

I have water... solar pumped from my own borehole. Cool and fresh.

I have pears and peaches and figs and apples and grapes and olives and cherries and blackberries and strawberries but I don't look after them as much as I should.

My little motorhome runs on its own panel.

Perfect for me but no good if you want to build a house.

I potter about on the land but go off on mini adventures whenever I feel the need.

I spend a great deal of time relaxing in my reclining chair just thinking and watching nature go about its business.

Compared to Blighty it was extremely well priced.

20210405_160002.jpg

JJ :cool:

PS. I have cut the "grass" since that photo...

Last edited:

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Id like to do that here in england ,(sorry i cant help with overseas ) but i shall watch with interest your replies,i think security would be a problem in some places,

In Blighty security might be a problem but where I am it is definitely not...

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Just looking at maybe spending a bit more time in one spot grow a bit of fruit and veg my can will run ok in solar so not bothered about electric maybe put a septic tank in .
What I am reading sounds perfect 2 acres of land in the Isle of Man 60000 abs cannot park my motorhome on it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Around here it is mainly agricultural land which is expensive. Urban land means it can be built on without much trouble.
In the foothills of the mountains the required amount of land to be able to build a house on rises to 25,000m2 this is the amount they think enables you to supply your own water. Any amount under that the price falls to nearly worthless unless you were able to buy more.
There are usually large amounts of land in hilly areas in small amounts. 1,2,5 7,000m2 which are a maximum of 5k euros for the largest. On odd occasions you can find one with agricultural water which is a bonus.
Here the land really needs to be rustic to have little value. & yes if you buy you can park a vehicle on it without problems. You can fence & gate it for the small cost of a minor works licence.
Depending on the size you could probably build a "nave" which is allowed to be able for you to 'work the land' This is what many Brits get fobbed off with as a "house" which it isn't.
& any price quoted will be + IVA (VAT) being land.

You also need to have a good idea of the local area, or know someone who does, around here to make sure it isn't in an area prone to flooding . An OS map tells you where the flood plains are.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Google project amber YouTube for a vloggers experience on buying land recently in portugal
Yes CJ from "Project Amber" has bought in Portugal, but with no planning for building a house, but he had to come back to UK for Covid Reasons.
Ash from "Lost In Europe" has bought land with derelict house & out buildings in Sweden.
Both of them are van lifers & van self builders.
LES

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Not about the buying,but. Dutch chap has joined two mobile wooden buildings together,LEFT THEM ON THEIR CHASSIS?WHEELS and rents them out. As they are still mobile 'ish? he did not need planning permission so we believe. Worth checking out. When we came out,you could buy a Mobile home in an acre of land with borehole 25.000 Euros. If you go onto " Pure Portugal Property/house sales " there are bits of land/buildings,some with a well/borehole for a lot less that this. Security ? Where we are,the keys are always in the door,garage doors open,stuff out on the land ? Why ? We were told when we offered a cheque for payment when we first came,they preferred cash,we were told that if any cheques bounce ( Not that they would have done) You will go straight to jail....Now the kicker... " WE don't want to go to jail here,YOU certainly don't. Get it bought. Snag ? Insurance for mo/ho.
Tea Bag

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Isnt there a problem that you cant leave the motorhome in a country longer than the owner/driver .

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Another snag.. If you leave it parked up for a while in the summer,it gets VERY HOT inside the mo/ho,so you would be relying on someone to open/close it up on a regular basis,neighbours. Now i am not saying they would not,but it ties them to the area. So SHADE ? that will have to be thought about.
What brought this post on ? Today we were having April SHOWERS. so left ours closed up,went for a walk up the forest track,boiled my......head ? off,came straight back and undid the mo/ho. Every little helps.
Tea Bag.

Apr 9, 2015
šŸ‡µšŸ‡¹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Has any body been able to purchase land and park there motorhome on it.
We are certainly thinking about doing something similar.
Currently we are based/looking in the Algarve which is expensive compared to most of Portugal but we havenā€™t been able to travel around much because of covid restrictions.
The website idealista.pt is useful as it covers the whole country.
One thing we have found is that different cĆ¢maras (councils) have different attitudes to what you can and cannot do with rustic land. So it would definitely be worthwhile checking whatā€™s allowed before parting with any cash.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We knew some-one who bought a lovely piece of land in France with a view to doing something similar. However, after buying the land he found out that the Mayor was able to put restrictions on its use. He told us that the Mayor wouldn't allow the siting of anything at all that could be lived or camped in. Eventually he gave up and took his camper to Portugal.

Sep 21, 2021
Newark, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524 sl
Exp
Since 2003
We have also been thinking about buying a small plot of land to site the mhome on but like most of you we are concerned about security , being allowed to site mhome , and what likely annual charges to expect

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back