Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've just been looking at flights for our trip to Florida in January and got thinkng about what RV we might buy. My original thoughts were to buy a diesel pusher so that when we had finished touring the states we could ship it home.

Over the past few weeks and months I've been searching all the available internet sales sites for RVs and a bit like here diesel pushers are much more expensive than petrol engined RVs. For the money I am hoping to spend most diesels in my range will be 4 to 6 years old but if I buy a petrol I can buy a 1 to 2 year old RV. If things go to plan I reckon we would keep the vehicle in the states for 3 to 5 years.

So my dilemma is should I buy a newer petrol and sell it in the states when I've finished with it especially when you take into account petrol is approx £1.50 a gallon over there. If I buy a 5 year old diesel and keep it for say 4 years am I really going to bring it back to the UK at 9 years old and high mileage.

Also can anyone advise me on this; if I buy a petrol is it worth converting to LPG in the states or is that not a realistic proposition.

The more I think about this the more unanswered questions I come up with :Doh:

I really would appreciate hearing what others think; Thanks

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Ror

Duel Fuel in the US is very rare - even for cars, never mind RVs.

However, it won't be long before they come around to the idea as their gas prices are extremely high (for them), and they aren't going to get cheaper are they.

So, if you decide to go with duel fuel, there could be a HUGE selling point should you sell the RV over there - much more so than here I think.

This link will show you converters thru the USA (you will have to contact them to see if they even do RVs), plus lots of other info too.

Link Removed

All the best.

Paul

PS Looking at that list, most States only have 1 or 2 converters. That's like having 1 LPG converter in the WHOLE of the UK. I wish I knew how to do LPG conversions as I would set-up a business over there in a shot - great prospects !!

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hymer1

Deleted User
Buying in USA

I've just been looking at flights for our trip to Florida in January and got thinkng about what RV we might buy. My original thoughts were to buy a diesel pusher so that when we had finished touring the states we could ship it home.

Over the past few weeks and months I've been searching all the available internet sales sites for RVs and a bit like here diesel pushers are much more expensive than petrol engined RVs. For the money I am hoping to spend most diesels in my range will be 4 to 6 years old but if I buy a petrol I can buy a 1 to 2 year old RV. If things go to plan I reckon we would keep the vehicle in the states for 3 to 5 years.

So my dilemma is should I buy a newer petrol and sell it in the states when I've finished with it especially when you take into account petrol is approx £1.50 a gallon over there. If I buy a 5 year old diesel and keep it for say 4 years am I really going to bring it back to the UK at 9 years old and high mileage.

Also can anyone advise me on this; if I buy a petrol is it worth converting to LPG in the states or is that not a realistic proposition.

The more I think about this the more unanswered questions I come up with :Doh:

I really would appreciate hearing what others think; Thanks

Are you sure you need a motorhome what are you going to run around in when you are parked as invaribaly you will be parked on a rv site not like europe where things are much easier maybee you have thought of this and will tow a car,we have just finished an accumilated year tour of USA .we went for the 5th wheel option and then were able to use the truck for touring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Actually, thats a very good point.

If you aren't thinking of bringing it back to the UK, then a 5'er is a very good option.

You might also just go for a travel trailer (caravan) and pick-up.

Not the same as driving a nice big RV but certainly cheaper and easier to "get around" when you are over there.

Paul

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If your going to buy in the States and use it there for a while Rory buy a petrol one.

Costs will end up far less.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I wouldn't rule out buying a 5th wheel, they are VERY popular (and cheap) in US and easy to sell here. If you choose the pick-up with re-sale here in mind you should do well.
Nigel

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks for the comments I really appreciate them all. :thumb:

The plan was always to tow a car and the RV will be no more than 34ft as I 've noticed on some US forums that the really big RVs are now being restricted in some state parks.
I have thought about a 5th wheeler but despite it's advantages an RV is what I prefer.

UKRV If I was to have a gas conversion is LPG readily available in service stations

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Ror

Propane isnt available in many gas stations but 75% of all rv parks have it on tap.

One word of caution with regard State Parks - they tend to get booked-up a full year in advance (at least any half-decent ones do).

I suggest trying a Google and then selecting a State Park and go thru the booking routine, to see what I mean.

You will soon see that even the booking system is confusing - yes, it lets you see every single pitch available but can mean a very long-winded process.

Oh and dont forget State Parks wont have WiFi :Eeek:

If you are thinking of Florida in January you will even struggle to get in commercial campgrounds as the snowbirds are there until end February at least.

Florida campgrounds in January to March can very easily charge $60+ a night and sell out - it can be a nightmare unless you accept you will be paying these rates.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back