Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
Hello all,

Has anyone managed to purchase a gas bottle in Spain?
We ask at service stations but they will only swap new for used.

Cheers.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sorry but I can only advise you to get a refillable unit and forget about the Europe-wide chaos of bottle standardisation.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There are usually some for sale if you look around also last year a friend went to the local Cepsa depot and got two bottles out on contract just for the price of the gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
EASY... (y)

Used bottles €10-15....

Look at campsite notice boards
Facebook local selling pages.
Rastros - these can be like a boot sale or a second hand shop.
Ask existing campers when on a campsite

There is always someone somewhere selling one... Garages and agents are the wrong places to ask.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We bought a cepsa one at a service station, attendant was reluctant but did sell us one, paperwork in triplicate was done but not very well!
If you make it to portugal you can easily but a repsol cylinder but it is dearer than spain. The portuese one has different handle but we exchanged it in spain with no quibble.
Both cepsa and repsol do lighter 11kg propane cylinders. These are slightly fatter than the std cylinders and also a couple of euros dearer to exchange.
The clip on adapters are readily available in spain or ireland where they use same 35 mm clip on adapter , see hamiltons gas products who do mail order to uk.
Not autogas in spain has large butane content and may not gas well in colder temps.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
EASY... (y)

Used bottles €10-15....

Look at campsite notice boards
Facebook local selling pages.
Rastros - these can be like a boot sale or a second hand shop.
Ask existing campers when on a campsite

There is always someone somewhere selling one... Garages and agents are the wrong places to ask.

Ditto.... there’s a few for sale on a board here at a campsite... (Spain) €10 cepsa

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Any rastro (car boot sale).

Any local buy/sell Facebook group in your area.

Going price for an empty is 8 to 10 euros.

The orange steel ones from Repsol are the cheapest to swop for full ones, as they are the only ones still price controlled by the government..... But are quite a lot heavier than the "lightweight" versions now in circulation from both Repsol and CEPSA.

In all cases the normal bottle sizes contain 12.5 kgs of butane or 11 kgs of propane lpg when full.
The stamp on the shoulder of each bottle indicates the "tare" (empty) weight of that bottle... The gas company refilling plants use that info as part of the refilling process.

But propane is often a lot harder to come by as almost everyone in Spain uses these bottles of lpg for domestic cooking, water heating and room heating, and almost everyone uses butane.
The control regulations on propane bottles were until recently a lot tighter than for butane, but now it seems to be distribtuted a lot more widely.

We use butane bottles all year round both in our house and motorhome, and have never had a problem with it not boiling off due to being too cold.

Deleted User
But propane is often a lot harder to come by

Only ever had a problem once obtaining Repsol propane in Ayamonte, Huelva Province,bought it in Almeria, Castellon and various inland service stations without problem.

Deleted User
Thanks everyone. We must be choosing the wrong service stations

Sorry if you misunderstood my post, I have never actually rented a bottle in Spain, I obtained mine from a friend, the purchases I mention have all been exchanges.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
HI if you are in the Torrevieja area look on any of the British forums i.e. Talkquesada.com or Torrevieja.co.uk allways have empty bottles for sale normal cost 8-10€ Take empty bottle to petrol station to exchange for full.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hello all,

Has anyone managed to purchase a gas bottle in Spain?
We ask at service stations but they will only swap new for used.

Cheers.
Hi there Badboo, you can always find second hand bottles in all the boot sales last year in Fuengirola they were selling for between 6-10€Euros hope this helps.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Don't know where you are but they have a big rastro on Sunday morning's at El Verger Costa Blanca and they have loads for sale, or you see them in the charity shop's, once you have one you can change it anywhere. (y)
I picked up a C250 toilet cassette at el verger for 2 euro's :LOL: . Bob

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry to revive this thread and I do appreciate it's over three years old.

Can anyone give the current price for exchanging an 11kgs Repsol Propane Bottle please.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thread revival.
Anyone got a Spanish bottle for sale?

Need one for a couple of months over the winter.
Thanks

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
yes it’s the large orange bottle I dumped all my adapters but still have the bottle,the van I have now has a underslung tank so the bottle is surplus I’ve been going to take it to the local tip

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
The bottle is buried under other things I could’nt live without but are now surplus and I can’t get to it to see the size, it’s the standard bottle I seem to think they’re about 11 kilo

IMG_1266.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back