Buying from garage or private sale? Opinions. (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Our first van was a private purchase. We knew what we wanted, and went out and looked for it. The van was only 2-years-old, and low mileage when we bought it, so relatively low risk :cautious:.
We went to the seller's house, took a judgement that we liked the van and trusted the seller. He took us out for a good drive in it. We didn't drive it ourselves, and we bought it for a lower price than we would have paid to a dealer.
OK, we may have just been lucky, but I think it's like any situation in life. You weigh up the pros and cons based on all the information available to you, then make your judgement.
Our current van was purchased new from abroad, as was its predecessor.
If we were to buy used, I'm sure we'd look at a private purchase again.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
As previous two posters we bought ours privately. It was the model we wanted in excellent conditionand we felt comfortable with the seller and her reasons for selling. We did get an HPI and rac check done. We had looked at similar vans via dealers but they were charging 20% more and frankly the condition of most of them was less than impressive. We've had it for five years now and have had a couple of repairs done but no regrets....

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You should also read reviews on the make/model that you 'think' you want.....before any purchase.

Some makes are simply better built, I have bought 4 vans all secondhand, privately through Ebay without any major problems. If it looks right, drives right and doesn't smell damp has been good enough for me

- says the person that bought his last van 200 miles away without viewing or checking anything apart from the photos and description :doh:

............brilliant van and £1000s less than dealer price(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Depends what you want and what is available. When we were looking we saw lots privately and lots at dealers however not the actual model we wanted. We managed to purchase one from a dealer which was only 1k than one we had seen privately which was also older. There were only 3 vans around which were the model we wanted at the time available. Every time I saw one by the time I made contact it was sold or newer and over budget. Maybe we dropped lucky purchasing from a dealer.
That said it is our first MH and felt more comfortable purchasing from a dealer.
Nearly 2 years on and I see vans for sale several k higher than what we paid and 1 2 3 years old than ours. Makes me smile

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Living in Norfolk, why not visit Simpsons or Becks, both with good reputations and good after sales and product knowledge.I speak fromexperience.
By the way, DO NOT visit a certain Caravan/Motorhome dealer at Dereham, they definately can tuck you up, again, I speak from experience!.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
A lot of good advice on here and I can see merit in both arguments. We bought from a dealer after almost agreeing a sale privately. In respect of the proposed private sale, we carried out online checks such as MOT and found that the info on the service record did not accord with the MOT info as regards mileage. Upon further enquiry of the vendor (a policeman as it happens) we got further "stories" so, as lots have suggested, we walked away.
The dealer however was awful once they had our money. After sales service is non-existent. So it's a tough call. Good vendor or good dealer? It's a jungle out there and remember; caveat emptor (buyer beware).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I completely agree. Private sale if you have the time and quite frankly can be bothered will always make you a bit more money. However you may end up as per the original poster debating if you should buy a private vehicle!

If you do go privately then there a lots of things to do. If I buy a camper in from a private sale I will:

HPI the vehicle (This will tell me if it has had a crash, has been stolen, if there is finance outstanding ((This is a big thing now in the motor trade. People will illegally sell vehicles with finance on them or log book loans, you get your new camper, some burly bloke in a black tie comes and takes it from you and there is nothing you can do!))

Take a damp meter

Take a mechanic with you

Always insist on driving the vehicle and listen for noises

Look for potential spots of previous damage

Pull on the suspension and make the van wobble and see what its moving ok

Check seals on the vehicle

Check service history especially the origional base van maintenance book for stamps

Check the log book (Great source of history)

Also go with a gut feeling, it it does not feel right then walk away!

Simon
I like you already.
You are setting up a business selling motorhomes and offer good advice to private buyers.
Good luck with your business, you ll do well on here with that attitude

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back