Buying from France/Germany (1 Viewer)

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hello.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Soon, I would like to purchase a Hobby 750 (either new or used) from France or Germany. If I can find one to my liking pre-registered in France then I would probably go for that - but I'm very open to buying from elsewhere.

If anyone has any information about where I might start looking/or what I might need to consider, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Moo

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Soon, I would like to purchase a Hobby 750 (either new or used) from France or Germany. If I can find one to my liking pre-registered in France then I would probably go for that - but I'm very open to buying from elsewhere.

If anyone has any information about where I might start looking/or what I might need to consider, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Moo

Link Removed :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello.

Kind regards,
Moo

Link Removed

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello.

Kind regards,
Moo

Link Removed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
With the euro being as it is, I would have thought a UK purchase would be cheaper, plus if you buy from a reputable dealer you will have warranty back-up.

Peter

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
With the euro being as it is, I would have thought a UK purchase would be cheaper, plus if you buy from a reputable dealer you will have warranty back-up.

Peter

Peter.... I totally agree at the moment there are better deals in the UK............Mel :thumb:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As with many things it depends on the deal you are after. If you have a 'van to p/x and the dealer in the UK thinks he may struggle to sell it then the deal may not be as good.

We have just picked up our new 'van from Germany - we p/x ed our old left hooker with the German dealer with a balance to pay of £20k - The UK dealer had quoted £38k for the same p/x with a lower spec on the new 'van.

The German dealer was telling me that, as in the UK, there are as many dealers on the edge of going to the wall as there are profitable ones. That means there are a lot of good deals to be had just to keep the cashflow going.

I agree though that mobile.de is a good place to start looking for a 'van in Germany or one of the mags - Promobile or Reisemobile - both carry plenty of adverts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for everyone's response. If you were me and you wanted to keep as many options open as possible where would you look for good prices in the UK?

Also, what considerations would you have when buying a used Hobby: what issues particular to this make/model (750) and MHs in general would you consider when viewing a potential second hand purchase?

All the best,
Moo

rogerangie

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
rogerangie

In my considered opinion and I am sure JC will disagree. Do not buy british. German manufactureres are the best. Forget about serviceing etc. Get a good local guy.
UK warranties are a joke. Read the web pages for reems of woe from disgruntled buyers. I have had my 1996 Burstner for nearly eight years, only 1996 cc but she goes well, needs tlc as they all do but all the "bits" needed for it are available.
Go German.

OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Do not buy british. German manufactureres are the best. Get a good local guy.

That's sort of what I assumed anyway - can you recommend anyone?

UK warranties are a joke.
What do you mean? Why so bad? What would you expect of a (German) warranty?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Slightly 'off topic' to most but may give 'Moo' some idea of what to expect when buying in Germany.

My son is based out there and because he wanted to keep his car and use it there he had to put it through a TUV, the Geman MOT test. He said it's far more severe than the MOT and would easily put thousands of 'brits' off the road through instant failure!

rogerangie

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Have you ever bought a new car in england and had problems? Rover spring to mind.
Then fill in for "warranty"
I was at the Hobby factory last summer just for a browse round. WOW!! go and have a look, also while in the area the Hymer (Humer in Germany). It will open your eyes.
Burstner have bent over backwards for me with spares from 1996 and always supplied.
Yes, I am biased, who can blame me, and my German is minimal.
Where are you based?

OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Please remember, I don't really care where I get this from from - I just want Hobby 750 at a good price at a good spec and with decent service etc... so I'm looking around and will make my own mind up over the next few months.

I'm based in UK (midlands). But unless it all goes tits-up will almost certainly have moved to northern Spain by end of year.

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Why not have a word with Nick Legg at Bundesvan - He can find a 'van for you from his contacts with German dealers and knowledge of the market there. He is also good at getting the red tape done for the import to the UK.

At least that way you will have a left hooker (not always available from British dealers) for your propose departure to sunnier climes.

We have just used Nicks service to import our new 'van - I speak German and did most of the business side with the German dealer myself but Nick was invaluable in getting the import and payment in €s side done.

See www.bundesvan.co.uk

OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
That's not a bad idea. I'll have a word at Peterborough in April.

Thanks,
M

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Peter.... I totally agree at the moment there are better deals in the UK............Mel :thumb:

Can't agree with that Brownhills still charging silly prices for Hymers you can still save 10k + buying in Belgium or Germany.

One thing to be aware off buying abroad is insurance. You can not get a vehicle insured if it is registered in another country, If it's new you can not get it covered until it's on British soil.
If you buy in Germany you have to buy compulsory 3rd party insurance before you can drive it away (also applies to private sales). I think it's too much of a risk driving a 50K van back with only 3rd party insurance.

We brought our Hymer in Belgium the dealer drove it to the port for us the only risk was driving on the ferry & insurance was arranged so it was insured once in the UK.

No problems with warranty work a quick nip over to Belgium on Thursday night or Friday Morning get the work or service done and a nice weekend in Belgium.

cliff

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Funster No
I bought a Hobby 650 from germany in 2006 from a great Hobby dealer in a place called Schwienfurt, log on to mobile.de select your search criteria.
You can save on the new cost but you will need to get started before the season starts. I flew to Frankfurt by Ryanair over the weekend, then flew back the next weekend with the cash 9don't do banktransfers)and drove it home. The dealer will arrange temporary insurance and road tax. Then go to your local motor vehicle office who will transfer all the paperwork,its no problem honest.

whisturx

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Devizes,Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Try Link Removed

I have bought two Hobby 750 's from Germany delivered to my door in 2001 and 2006, and have just changed to a new Frankia which he has just delivered. 100 % genuine.

Ian

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
When we bought from a dealer in Germany he lent us his trade plates for the drive back to the UK so we would be fully covered with insurance. Unfortunately he isn't a Hobby dealer but would buy from hm again if the euro was a bit better. At the moment I can't see it being worthwhile as you can get some good deals in the UK, remember it's your cash & they want it, squeeze them as much as you can & then a bit more.

Did have some dealings with Bundersvan & personally found it a waste of time, also had a friend who was less than impressed. Many German dealers are used to dealing with UK residents & now what needs to be done. Durrwang used to offer to deliver the vehicle to the UK already taxed & registered for about a thousand euros. You could even pay in sterling.

rogerangie

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
hobby van

We go to Germany at least twice a year. Go over there and find a dealer who sells Hobby. Ask him if he exports to UK.
I bet he will say yes. They have been selling vehicles to English servicmen for years and know all the ropes, Honestly no problem and regardless of the euro, it will be cheaper and a pleasant experience.

OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
How nice to find a friendly bunch of people like this. I have done a fair bit of travelling but this represents my first foray into MHing and I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to share what you know with me.

Kind regards,
Moo

OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Using a trailer with Hobby 750/MH... any thoughts?

Like I said this represents my first exposure to doing the MH Thing and the practical side seems just as new/complicated as the cultural considerations that I would not have even thought about before.

For instance I chanced upon (another forum) a thread regarding using MHs, trailers and Aires and/or just trailers in general with MHs and the different opinions (no problem with that), but more so the enthusiasm with which certain extremes of opinion came across I have to admit came as a surprise.

From what I gather it seems as though the mainlander Europeans don't go in for the tugging of trailers and yet if I were to go wandering for more than a few days I reckon I would seriously miss my little Fiat 500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moo

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Aye-up... Yes definatly cheaper buying in the UK. No problems re-registering here. Will help you if needed:thumb: Lost-a-Spanner

Hi, (and thankyou)

A UK 'ex-pat' living in France?

I feel like an eight year old kid waiting for my birthday.

:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back