Buying challenge - suggestions for our first motorhome please (1 Viewer)

Jaymacgee

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Hello all

Please may I have your suggestions for motorhome models that might meet our needs?

Budget: £35,000 tops

Age: happy to go back to 2008 if all is well with the motorhome

6 berth

End U shaped lounge

Full Dinette

Overcab bed

Interior style as modern as possible

Some external storage would be ideal and we really prefer the bathroom to have the shower separate to the main part of the bathroom floor (does that make sense? I don't know the right terminology).

We are a family of four (children are 13 and 9)and a dog living in Scotland. We'd mainly be using it for weekend trips close by, and a couple of week-long holidays further afield, including possibly Netherlands and France. We both have driving licences that cover over 3.5 tonne vehicles.

To give some guidance, we looked at a 2008 Autotrail Apache 700SE today. We were convinced it would be 'the one' and we're gutted to find it had one really bad bit of damp that even the salesman said he would make him not buy it.

We'd appreciate suggestions please - links to motorhoms for sale would be fantastic!

Thank you in advance.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Welcome. I would suggest you visit several dealers, seeing as many models as possible. You will then see which ones best fit your criteria. With your budget you should get a really good second hand van. Once we knew what layout we were after we kept an eye on autotrader and got a really good deal on a private sale. Good luck.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For a family of four plus pooch plus kit in a 6 berth I think you're definitely looking at bigger than 3.5 tonnes, so pay close attention to any small print regarding the MH's available payload. Your budget should cover a decent second hand model of that size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Payload should be one of your most important considerations. NEVER believe the figures you are given for actual weight. Always insist on getting a weighbridge ticket before you buy.

With an end lounge external storage will be less than models with end beds over a garage.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Brit vans will give you more day-time space, so long as you don't mind making beds up at the end of the day. They also seem more likely to suffer damp.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Brit vans will give you more day-time space, so long as you don't mind making beds up at the end of the day. They also seem more likely to suffer damp.
I think it depends on the van my continental has abundance of day time space
20170820_140935.jpg

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Auto trail Scout, but you would need 6 belted seats whatever you go for and that will narrow down the available vans.

We had six belts factory fitted to ours as an option.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
For a family of four plus pooch plus kit in a 6 berth I think you're definitely looking at bigger than 3.5 tonnes, so pay close attention to any small print regarding the MH's available payload. Your budget should cover a decent second hand model of that size.
Yes check payload and the buying guide. We bought ours with no idea about payload and luckily got away with it as there is enough . Do the research and enjoy

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Auto trail Scout, but you would need 6 belted seats whatever you go for and that will narrow down the available vans.

We had six belts factory fitted to ours as an option.

Sorry I misread the OP - I thought there were 6 of you.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The only sure way to check payload is to put it on a weighbridge. The information from the manufacturers and dealers is notoriously inaccurate.

I put ours on a weighbridge to double check and found the manufacturer's (Swift) information to be pretty accurate, to be fair to them. Accepted however that it's not the case for everyone.

It's the small print that needs close scrutiny, ie what size/weight gas bottle do they assume, does it include one person or two? Is the fuel tank full? And so on...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back