Buying an older motorhome - what to watch out for (1 Viewer)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I am thinking about purchasing a 9 or 10 year old Ford based motorhome. Are there any obvious corrosion type issues associated with buying at this age? Probable mileage of about 25, 000 miles on a twin rear wheel drive Ford transit.

OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Possibly either, preference is coachbuilt and German

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Coachbuilt - damp. PVC, usual corrosion places but nowadays corrosion doesn't seem to be the problem it once was in older vehicles.

Get a copy of Jims guide to buying a motorhome - download it from the "Resources" section.

Upvote 0

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I am thinking about purchasing a 9 or 10 year old Ford based motorhome. Are there any obvious corrosion type issues associated with buying at this age? Probable mileage of about 25, 000 miles on a twin rear wheel drive Ford transit.
A major issue with the Transit Mk.7 is that it's extremely vulnerable to theft. If RHD, replace the Tibbe lock cylinder with a Hykee. If LHD, you can't do that, so fit deadlocks on the cab doors. Prevent unauthorised access to the OBD port. Ensure alarm is not deactivated by central unlocking (though if the Tibbe cylinder is replaced with a Hykee this may be less of an issue).

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a 20 year old Hymer coachbuilt four years ago. Best £7k we ever spent. 170,000 klicks on the clock, no corrosion, runs like Lynford Christie wearing a jock strap, perfect. The older they are, (it seems), the better they were built. (y)(y)
hymertruck.jpg

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We bought a 20 year old Hymer coachbuilt four years ago. Best £7k we ever spent. 170,000 klicks on the clock, no corrosion, runs like Lynford Christie wearing a jock strap, perfect. The older they are, (it seems), the better they were built. (y)(y)
View attachment 134404

Nice van Dave

Looking for an older one kind of rules out any transit based van for the OP, doesn't it?

If you do get a transit, for heaven's sake don't break down overseas. That's if it isn't nicked by itinerants before you get on the ferry, of course

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Looking for an older one kind of rules out any transit based van for the OP, doesn't it?
Well, the Hymer has about the same wheelbase as a twin wheel Transit Nick. Must be honest, looked at a few older Transits, too much corrosion I'm afraid.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Damp is the biggest enemy of older vans, you can lower the risk by going for a German built van but whatever you buy get it checked out thoroughly for damp. Hymer use the PUAL system even in their old vans there is no timber in the structure apart from inner walls & floor and if they do get water ingress is doesn't do much damage.
I agree with @funflair low mileage vans are more likely to be problematical as it would have been left standing for long periods which is about the worst thing you can do to a van.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
View attachment 134405

Steel frame (no wood) blown air heating, fridge, cooker, toilet, tv

1991 60k miles £6k cost 2 years ago, been to Spain last two years (y)
Yours is really the only other one I have seen I like, Vic. I'm a sucker for the Eriba/Hymer interiors. (y)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well, the Hymer has about the same wheelbase as a twin wheel Transit Nick. Must be honest, looked at a few older Transits, too much corrosion I'm afraid.
Agreed, and I'd take the Hymer any day

Just couldn't see myself in a transit doing a long trip. My experience with M/H is fairly limited, but I actually enjoy driving the Ducato, it feels more like a truck than a van. Must be a glutton for punishment

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Agreed, and I'd take the Hymer any day

Just couldn't see myself in a transit doing a long trip. My experience with M/H is fairly limited, but I actually enjoy driving the Ducato, it feels more like a truck than a van. Must be a glutton for punishment
We have considered a newer one, but hey, I just love driving the old girl......(And the Hymer....). L/H drive, cruise control, column change, FANTAS! (y) I mean, upgrade for why?? So that you can pull onto a rally field and keep up with the Dux?? Naw. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We have considered a newer one, but hey, I just love driving the old girl......(And the Hymer....). L/H drive, cruise control, column change, FANTAS! (y) I mean, upgrade for why?? So that you can pull onto a rally field and keep up with the Dux?? Naw. :)

...and there is that 'extra' satisfaction.........we actually made it to the rally......(y)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Many a good tune played on an old fiddle, with hindsight I would have chosen an older Hymer. My logic was to justify the purchase on the basis that the boat would "soon be sold", and the M/H would be paid for and spare cash left for funding a belated gap year (belated by almost 40 years, that is). Surprisingly I had little opposition, but only on condition we bought new so that I didn't spent half my life trying to fix it up.

The thought of the Dux in thigh length waders and a gimp suit covered in mud will probably be enough to put me off M/H for life

PS: that is a nice looking van you have there, Vic

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Thank you folks. Did 120 odd miles in the Transit this morning hardly had to change down. It was a crew cab with no load. I had to check myself several times sitting at 70mph. Conversely trip back home was in a Peugeot 108 doing mostly 55mph. Much preferred the Transit. Our budget has been adjusted several times with me wanting to buy an 09 - 2011 plate at circ £30, 000. Swmbo wants to cap at £25, 000 which lowers the bar to an 07 plate, hence the question about corrosion issues with a 10 year old mh or pvc.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
If you're determined to have a Ford rather than Fiat you will restrict your choice hugely, and I'd say for no good reason. Transits are good but Ducatos are fine too, and heaven help me I've driven enough vans over the years! I bought a 9 year old Ducato X244, the very last of the old shape, on 19k miles and really it's been fine. Newer vans are more civilised to drive though, a soundproofing kit has helped the comfort of driving my van a lot.

Anyway, corrosion - on a standard coachbuilt, the rear chassis section isn't likely to have anything more than cosmetic, surface rust on seams. The area to watch is the cab. On Ducatos of that age it's the underside of the steps that seem to go first, they catch the crap from the front wheels. The front cross member can corrode as well but it is only bolt-on so easy to replace if you had to. Older transits seem to go on the wheel aches or the front wings.

However, at 9 to 10 years old I wouldn't expect to find any meaningful corrosion. Mine was just starting to show a little on the seam on the bottom of the driver's step, nothing that a good clean up and some Dinitrol 4941 spray couldn't cure. I've actually had mine professionally rust proofed throughout now, as I plan to keep it for a good few years.

More risk in damp in the hab section on a coachbuilt I'd say.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I have been looking at a 2007 Fiat based motorhome with a 2.2 100 bhp engine. I understand this is a Ford derived engine which appears a strange collaboration. Any views or thoughts, chain rather than timing belt.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I was offered 25k as a trade in on my 2014 chausson flash 10 by Lowdhams and decided to keep it thankyou very much!!! as I recon I can add a lot to that if I sell privately. If you can find someone who wants to sell quick in Winter you might get a lot newer for that price. Our first m/h was a Chausson Flash3 38k on the clock 1 owner just under 3 yrs old 21.5k. Why not try a wanted add see what turns up.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hymer use the PUAL system even in their old vans there is no timber in the structure
Thanks for that Lenny, you have solved a mystery that has been bugging me since we bought the Hymer, namely, where the hell are the roof timbers?? Discovered that when I changed the roof light. One piece alloy roof, front to back, then insulation board bonded to the metal on the inside. Brilliant. Didnt know it was a design idea.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for that Lenny, you have solved a mystery that has been bugging me since we bought the Hymer, namely, where the hell are the roof timbers?? Discovered that when I changed the roof light. One piece alloy roof, front to back, then insulation board bonded to the metal on the inside. Brilliant. Didnt know it was a design idea.
There are some steel frames in the sides I think to keep it all ridged but none of that soggy wood stuff.:)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was offered 25k as a trade in on my 2014 chausson flash 10 by Lowdhams and decided to keep it thankyou very much!!! as I recon I can add a lot to that if I sell privately. If you can find someone who wants to sell quick in Winter you might get a lot newer for that price. Our first m/h was a Chausson Flash3 38k on the clock 1 owner just under 3 yrs old 21.5k. Why not try a wanted add see what turns up.
UK dealers just take the pi**. When I advertised my last van Travelworld phoned me up "your van is the sort of van we would loved to have in our stock" what you offering " we see your van retail in the low 30's we can offer you mid 20's" year right I sold it privately for 36k, they would have had it on their for caught for 40k.
Current van, UK dealer offered 40k getting 52/53k (€60k) in Belgium.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are some steel frames in the sides I think to keep it all ridged but none of that soggy wood stuff.:)
Not sure that is correct for modern Hymers. The banded panels provide the rigidity in themselves AFAIK. Not sure that applies to older ones though.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not sure that is correct for modern Hymers. The banded panels provide the rigidity in themselves AFAIK. Not sure that applies to older ones though.
Mine is in the picture on page 1. It has the 'knobbled' panels. Cant find any wood, but on saying that, the flat panels must be bonded to something, as I have a 'sun bubble' in one place. Cant find any reinforcement timbers though. o_O

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I have been looking at a 2007 Fiat based motorhome with a 2.2 100 bhp engine. I understand this is a Ford derived engine which appears a strange collaboration. Any views or thoughts, chain rather than timing belt.

The Ford Puma.

It's a good, proven engine, fitted to many Mondeos, Jaguars & Freelanders amongst others.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back