Buying An Old Elddis (1 Viewer)

Roger NE

Free Member
May 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Hi . . . I'm a first-time Motorhome buyer, looking to buy a cheap old Motorhome that I can do up myself. I do all my own car repairs and maintenance, including some bodywork, and am pretty good at DIY too.
I'm looking to spend under £6,000, so thinking of one of the Talbot Elddis vehicles, as they look quite straightforward . . . plus thousands of vans use the same engine & gearboxes, so would be easy to replace with a s/h one if ever required.
Having said that, many of these Motorhomes have done less than 100,000 miles, despite being as old as 1985 !
I figure that as long as the chassis is sound, one of these would be a resonable bet.
Any comments/advice would be appreciated !
Roger

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you're OK with the mechanical side of things, then damp - possibly not immediately obvious - is your biggest risk.

But good luck! (y)

Oh and :welcome3: !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Hello and welcome from Corby
I would make sure you go and test drive 1 before you buy it because it's 35 year old technology which means everything is bloody hard work, noisy and slow

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the old talbots rot for fun and spare parts are getting rarer by the year. Particular rust points to check are around the windscreen and the inner wings. Not a DIY welding project, that's for sure.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wink Hello GIF by Originals

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Easy to maintain but suffer from very bad chassis rust. I also understand gearbox parts are hard to come by.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Rust, damp and a pain to drive - just about covers it!!!;)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Aside the mechanical side there are two main things to watch for. The first is rust, as will all metal vehicles, and I guess you will be able to deal with that.

The second is damp leading to rot in the structural woodwork, which is something you will not have come across in a car (unless you own a Morgan). It can be very expensive and/or time consuming to deal with and sometimes means a complete strip out of the internals and external walls. Search for damp problems in this forum and you will see some horror stories.

Given that the prices of motorhomes have shot up in the last year I doubt you will be able to find a dry one for £6k unless you are very lucky

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Welcome!
Here's a Fiat Ducato based Elddis; smidgen over your budget, looks clean and claims no damp. No power steering, which may make tight manoeuvring on a hot summer's day a bit sweaty.
Broken Link Removed

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I just looked at the mot history because I'm a nosey git and the Speedo appears to be going backwards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back