Buying an ex-rental RV in the States (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
This is a very pro video about ex-rental purchases, and they discuss the differences between private and rental RVs. Do the same consideration apply to UK ex-rentals.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I certainly wouldn't buy a Cruise America ex-rental. They keep the vehicles far far longer than some other rental companies such as Road Bear or Canadream. The latter two only keep the vehicles a year, two at the most depending on usage. The Cruise America van we hired was 6 years old. However, one pays ones money ...

Grandadrob

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
North Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
I agree with thebriars. Having rented loads of RVs in America, Cruise America are one of the worst. They are a franchise and are only as good as the owners. The one we had was awful, old and clapped out, unlike the price. The ones to buy are the Star or Apollo ones, much better quality in the first place, many are Mini-winnie's, Winnebago smaller ones. Never been disappointed with one of theirs. As above, Canadream are now Apollo, but we have had bad ones of theirs before their Apollo days. I would steer clear of the Canadian ones simply because their road system is awful, more potholes than even we have.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Grandadrob

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
North Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Just to add to the above. Lots of US RV hire companies, like Apollo have sold their entire stock this year, rather than have them sitting around. Got that from Apollo themselves when I enquired recently.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
According to family in Texas it’s quite possible to buy a RV at auction and sell it six months later for a similar amount. We might try it one year.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
buying ex rental is cheap, but the way they are abused by everyone else who ever drove or used them, they age very rapidly. The same in the UK or anywhere else

Grandadrob

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
North Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
The problem is that if you accidentally damage anything, the rental company charge you for repair/replacement... BUT do not do the repair, so over time the damage builds up, until the vehicle is junk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back