Buying Advice on an Auto-trail 634 (2 Viewers)

South59

Free Member
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
Hi everyone,

We are just moving from our caravan to a motor home and I am in the process of looking at this model after much research. We are experienced towers and in general know as much as you need about weights, payload, damp, layouts etc but of course there are a few differences when it comes to motor homes. I just wondered if anyone could give advice or had any experience of this van, In particular about van values and areas of damp in this model to look out for. The two questions are straight forward

1. 2015, dealer 634, 6000, miles, 3650kg , fully serviced both body and engine every year, sounds very clean , one owner. Window price £45995. After reading Jims ebook it asks you to know the real value of the van before you start but looking around the price varies at dealerships by about 2-£3000. Anybody have any experience about what can realistically be the offered to complete the sale?

2. In this particular model I will bring my own damp meter, any advice on where to check/look in this model would be of a great help.

Love the forum and the site, now a fully paid up member

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for reply, do you know if it is possible on apache 700 ?

No. Is the short answer .
The extensions used to have the longer chassis have a limited downforce of 100kg on the towbar so finding a rack and bike under that weight is almost impossible.

In theory you could maybe have better extensions going direct to the fiat chassis no towball and a fitted rack. That would take some sorting and 50/50 if it would overload the rear axle.

Now a real legal problem. Construction and use regulations say overhang can only be 60 percent of the wheelbase. The 700 is already at that length . I know there are similar vans out there carrying scooters and disability scooters. If they are not overweight they will break the construction use, something I have in writing .

@blueknight thanks on the tag

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
No. Is the short answer .
The extensions used to have the longer chassis have a limited downforce of 100kg on the towbar so finding a rack and bike under that weight is almost impossible.

In theory you could maybe have better extensions going direct to the fiat chassis no towball and a fitted rack. That would take some sorting and 50/50 if it would overload the rear axle.

Now a real legal problem. Construction and use regulations say overhang can only be 60 percent of the wheelbase. The 700 is already at that length . I know there are similar vans out there carrying scooters and disability scooters. If they are not overweight they will break the construction use, something I have in writing .

@blueknight thanks on the tag

That's a fantastic response. I didn't know any of that. Nice one(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

paulpickard

Free Member
Aug 13, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 635
Exp
4 years
Thanks for expert reply.
See many MH with motorbikes/scooters on towbar mounted hitches, presumably illegal then !!
Spoke to a company today that do a bike 'carrier' for towbar fitting but it has 2 'jockey wheels' that they claim supports
majority of the bike weight (almost a mini trailer), will do some more investigation. Might have to stick to mountain bikes !!

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That's a fantastic response. I didn't know any of that. Nice one(y)

I asked the question ref racks and here is the reply from the Dept of Transport.
If it's towball mounted (limited by weight) you may get away with things as it would be temporary but having anything a bit more secure could raise issues. The question was specific to a motorhome and already having a rear overhang of 60% wheelbase like my Apache 700.

"The overall length of a vehicle for the purposes of vehicle construction legislation is defined as follows (Regulation 3 of the Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986):

Overall length: in relation to a vehicle, the distance between transverse planes passing through the extreme forward and rearward projecting points of the vehicle inclusive of all parts of the vehicle, of any receptacle which is of a permanent character and accordingly strong enough for repeated use,

In our understanding, this would include a load platform such as the one in the picture you sent. We would judge that this platform should be classed as part of the vehicle rather than part of the load”.

Therefore, in our opinion, you are not permitted to add a load platform because the vehicle no longer meets the 60% criteria that you refer to. (the overhang would be greater than 60%). You might like to confirm this with the motor caravan manufacturer, as they should be familiar with the law.

The Department cannot give an authoritative interpretation of the law; that is a matter for the courts. Enforcement of road traffic law is an operational matter for individual Chief Police Officers and their officers can issue verbal warnings, fixed penalty notices or report the motorist for formal prosecution. "

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back