Buying Advice on an Auto-trail 634 (1 Viewer)

South59

Free Member
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
Hi everyone,

We are just moving from our caravan to a motor home and I am in the process of looking at this model after much research. We are experienced towers and in general know as much as you need about weights, payload, damp, layouts etc but of course there are a few differences when it comes to motor homes. I just wondered if anyone could give advice or had any experience of this van, In particular about van values and areas of damp in this model to look out for. The two questions are straight forward

1. 2015, dealer 634, 6000, miles, 3650kg , fully serviced both body and engine every year, sounds very clean , one owner. Window price £45995. After reading Jims ebook it asks you to know the real value of the van before you start but looking around the price varies at dealerships by about 2-£3000. Anybody have any experience about what can realistically be the offered to complete the sale?

2. In this particular model I will bring my own damp meter, any advice on where to check/look in this model would be of a great help.

Love the forum and the site, now a fully paid up member

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I know you say you know about weights and payloads etc. All I can add is check that carefully, on my autotrail Facebook group the payload on the 634 gets mentioned regular as it's very poor. Also Autotrail changed the way they calculate the MIRO and no longer includes any water on board. At 3650 it's not to bad but crap at 3500, assume you have the C1 (y)
Apart from a good damp check also check the habitation checks have been done in time to keep the 10 year ingress warranty active.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi there and welcome to the forum(y)

I've just been around a few dealers this weekend and you can get a brand new 2018 Autotrail Apache 634 for about £52,000 because there are so many unsold vans in the UK.

That said, the Apache 634 is possibly the worst van in production today for payload - it is unusable IMO and should not be produced in its current chassis format.

You could register it at 3,850kg if you have the C1 driving license but even then you will struggle to take it away legally for a weekend with two people and a small amount of kit.

Again, a big welcome to the forum:D

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
South59

South59

Free Member
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
Hi Tonka, yes checked out miserable payload on the 3500kg on the Auto-trail weight calculator, would you believe it works out to only 29kg without water...incredible. The 3650kg is ok but not great, plan to re-plate at 3850kg to help. Yes C1 holder as getting on a bit, van has been serviced same dealer every year so hopefully will have some of Auto-trails warranty. Will check out your facebook page

Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
South59

South59

Free Member
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
Hi Blue knight

thanks for that but OH likes the U-shape too much, will get it weighed asap to see what's available before test drive

cheers

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Blue knight

thanks for that but OH likes the U-shape too much, will get it weighed asap to see what's available before test drive

cheers

My new Autotrail (purchased Sep 2016) was 150kg heavier than the manufacturers stated MIRO (or 5%) so do not go off the Autotrail weight calculator. It is a load of twonk.

Also, the weight calculator does not include water.

You've mentioned the 29kg of weight remaining above so if that was my actual van then, as an example, the payload would have been -121kg or if I had filled the water tank too then I would have been a quarter of a tonne over the legal limit before I even placed any gear/food/tools etc in the van.

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
From experance for 2 a payload of 700kg is a good figure to aim for, our last van had 580kg I ended up upgrading and we don't carry that much gear but do like to run with full tanks.
Anything less than 500kg don't wase your time looking at them.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I know a bloke with a nice rear u lounge van and 700kg of payload. 2012 Apache 700 ;);)

Get him to stick it on eBay under 'garden water features'. It should get a good price:rolleyes:..........:D

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hi Blue knight

cheers
Hello,
Please don’t take this the wrong way but you appear to be talking yourself into this MH despite the negative comments! They may be negative but they offer good advice, at times like this it’s often better to look at the negatives and not the positives.
Payload is everything in a MH the more the better do not compromise.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Be serious! Just go out and buy it!
Hi everyone,

We are just moving from our caravan to a motor home and I am in the process of looking at this model after much research. We are experienced towers and in general know as much as you need about weights, payload, damp, layouts etc but of course there are a few differences when it comes to motor homes. I just wondered if anyone could give advice or had any experience of this van, In particular about van values and areas of damp in this model to look out for. The two questions are straight forward

1. 2015, dealer 634, 6000, miles, 3650kg , fully serviced both body and engine every year, sounds very clean , one owner. Window price £45995. After reading Jims ebook it asks you to know the real value of the van before you start but looking around the price varies at dealerships by about 2-£3000. Anybody have any experience about what can realistically be the offered to complete the sale?

2. In this particular model I will bring my own damp meter, any advice on where to check/look in this model would be of a great help.

Love the forum and the site, now a fully paid up member

Thanks

Just purchased a 2016 Auto trail Apache ourselves. It is currently 3650Kgs and a dream to own! Having just shifted a 2012 Savannah with a large payload....The pay load is one thing to winge about but honestly...drive it empty using only fuel as an extra and live on a day to day basis. Its not a problem. We love the large rear lounge and the furnishings are great. We have had a few mh's in the past but this is honestly one of the better ones . If you plan to take everything and the kitchen sink...then air ride is the answer. You can raise the payload then to suit yourselves.
Dont be put off by all the folk who give advice or bad advice as the case may be? You will know if it suits you.
Personally....I would have an A class any day. That aside....my beloved thinks that they are over rated and over priced .....oh...and snobby! That is her own opinion though. Her late father had one and she thought he was a snob too! So back off anyone before you start having a go..She is a woman of today! Trust me...I have the bruises to prove it all!
Joking aside...The damp issue as folk will warn you about..is a bugger! Check out the rear locker doors in particular. We have had two now and both the doors have been replaced. The only other area we had a high reading was in the dome above the cab seats. There are two steel supports that act as strength (should the truck tip over) These will always show a reading of 10 to 15%. Condensation will always be there around steel or metal regardless of time and weather conditions .
We have just had our Snipe system installed and changed the tin wheels to alloys. Personally I believe it makes the truck look better. (Personal choice )
We have just had a Sigma alarm system fitted to all doors and lockers etc. It works with the habitation door too. Well worth the expense.
Long and short of it is this....If it suits you....just go for it. We are voices and that is all. We have some experience be it both good and some bad. We can all put our two pennyworth forward but if it were to go tits up then you are the one left to deal with it. We can all say its right or wrong .
Leap of faith and just do it. If the company you are buying from is reputable...what is the problem? They will rectify it for you.
One thing I will just put forward personally....Tom Tom sat Nav....Its crap! Its a vast improvement on the last Chinese effort but there are still better.
Enjoy what you go for and look forward and live for the future . I honestly dont think you will look back at all.

Kev and Carolyn

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Check the roof wallpaper on the inside carefully for any signs of damp stains especially around roof hatches and the join across the back where the back panel joins the roof. They should be parked front down on any slope so water runs off and does not collect around that roof join.

Auto trails are built with a lot of wood which rots if it gets damp and takes weight out of your load margin when wet and is expensive to repair if required.

I had a Savannah which I have just sold and upped the weight by 495 Kgs to make it usable for us.

£45k does not grow on trees, take your time and spend it carefully. You are lucky to have come on here before making a mistake by not getting any advice.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we got our first van we had been caravaners and thought we wanted a U shape lounge like a caravan, but found it’s not the same and changed it. May be even hire one to try first.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Second hand sale price of £45995 - lets round it up to £46K. In your case I would be actively talking to local dealers about a new van that they are willing to discount with a little bit of finance that will have the full manufacturers warranty on both the Fiat side and the manufacturers part. No need to worry about areas of damp because they will all be covered.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've just been around a few dealers this weekend and you can get a brand new 2018 Autotrail Apache 634 for about £52,000 because there are so many unsold vans in the UK.
I've been past one dealer quite a lot recently and they have hundreds of autotrails in stock

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
There are loads of vans for sale and as the Autumn approached dealers will be very keen to get rid of any unsold new vans as all the new 2019 models come out in the Autumn or are at least announced and shown at the NEC.

There is loads of help and guidance on here. There are also horror stories and you need to read them to wise up. Dealers are only interested in taking your money and making a profit. There are reviews of dealers and vans on here so study them. You will get fobbed off with excuses when you return your new pride and joy with issues.

Some say its better to buy a secondhand van when all the issues have been sorted but how do you know the issues have been sorted and you are not buying someone else's cast off.

Research how different makers vans are built and buy one without wood in the construction so it won't rot.

If you are besotted with a rear lounge there are others so make sure you look at them all. A rear lounge probably means that your garage to store chairs, awning, BBQ and all your other stuff has to fit in the lockers under the seats in the rear lounge. is that adequate?

Download @Jim 's guide on buying a Motorhome which you will find in the Resources section on here for free and study it as it contains a mine of information that will save you money.

Please take your time and don't rush into anything that you might regret! Whatever you buy is likely to be worth £5k less as soon as you drive it off the forecourt as that is pretty much the minimum a dealer will want as a margin when you try to trade it in.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've been past one dealer quite a lot recently and they have hundreds of autotrails in stock

We've seen a few AT dealers in the last few days and their respective forecourts are full with MY18 models. AT was the brand that kept overproducing their vans based on MY16 sales figures and now (IMO) the dealers can't clear their stock. I also think that the Autotrail reputation has been hit hard with so many new vans being returned for damp repairs. The Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club is growing at a rapid rate.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004

This could be a buyers market for our fellow Funsters who are looking for a new Autotrail but still undecided.

Offer a £5k - £6K discount and walk away - to receive a phone call to sell at that price the day after.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
South59

South59

Free Member
Jul 25, 2018
Funster No
Thanks to all for your replies and advice.

In the end after reading reviews of lots of make and models no one walks away with a clean sheet of faults, it appears like all buying decisions after doing research, research and research you eventually take a risk no matter what you buy. Good dealer with feedback, manufactures warranties I know from experience are not worth the paper they are written on ( 4 x caravans ). test drive, damp check with my own meter every month to head off problems. Good storage onsite NCC engineer who I trust to carry out any remedial work. Its been a long process checking out lots of models and layouts, we have had all 4 layouts in our caravans and know the pitfalls. We travel light as we always had too, looks like there are some options to re-plate to increase payload and not break the law. All in all you like what you like and eventually you have to take the plunge.

Thanks to those who gave me areas to check damp and to those who advised on a pricing policy, always good to be forewarned then you can only hold yourself responsible for not taking precautions.

Great site , will be using it a great deal in the future

cheers

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We travel light as we always had too, looks like there are some options to re-plate to increase payload and not break the law

You will need to fit air suspension to the rear chassis/axle so try and get this done as a freebie by the dealer. Also, the replating process will require the fitting of 225 tyres instead of the standard 215 versions so check what rubber is on the wheels before purchase.

Re-plate costs are between £160 and £315 so if the above options are done by a fitter then you will would need to pay circa £1,500 to £1,700 all in.

It therefore pays dividends to hunt out for freebies and vans with suitable alloy wheels and tyres etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks to all for your replies and advice.

In the end after reading reviews of lots of make and models no one walks away with a clean sheet of faults, it appears like all buying decisions after doing research, research and research you eventually take a risk no matter what you buy. Good dealer with feedback, manufactures warranties I know from experience are not worth the paper they are written on ( 4 x caravans ). test drive, damp check with my own meter every month to head off problems. Good storage onsite NCC engineer who I trust to carry out any remedial work. Its been a long process checking out lots of models and layouts, we have had all 4 layouts in our caravans and know the pitfalls. We travel light as we always had too, looks like there are some options to re-plate to increase payload and not break the law. All in all you like what you like and eventually you have to take the plunge.

Thanks to those who gave me areas to check damp and to those who advised on a pricing policy, always good to be forewarned then you can only hold yourself responsible for not taking precautions.

Great site , will be using it a great deal in the future

cheers
I have a 2018 634, slightly different layout but still the same rear lounge. Weighed in extra 40 kilos above published weight but within the 3% allowance. I have up plated to 3850kg, needed rear air suspension, after that, a simple process. I always travel with a full tank of water and every thing we carry is weighed so I know I am road legal with about 40kg to spare. Without water, loads of payload remaining for our needs. We love the van but are aware that there may be future issues but I don't have a crystal ball as others appear to. Anyway, full warranty for 5 years on hab and chassis and another 5 years reducing scale warranty on the hab side. We have found this layout to be great so if you think it suits your needs, go for it. WELCOME (y) and good luck :D

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have a 2018 634, slightly different layout but still the same rear lounge. Weighed in extra 40 kilos above published weight but within the 3% allowance. I have up plated to 3850kg, needed rear air suspension, after that, a simple process. I always travel with a full tank of water and every thing we carry is weighed so I know I am road legal with about 40kg to spare. Without water, loads of payload remaining for our needs. We love the van but are aware that there may be future issues but I don't have a crystal ball as others appear to. Anyway, full warranty for 5 years on hab and chassis and another 5 years reducing scale warranty on the hab side. We have found this layout to be great so if you think it suits your needs, go for it. WELCOME (y) and good luck :D

Good info Steve.

Does that include tow bar and tongue weights, 2nd leisure batteries, extra gas, and bikes etc. Also, is it for two people or a family.

I only ask so that the OP can compare his apples correctly.

Cheers,

Andrew

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Good info Steve.

Does that include tow bar and tongue weights, 2nd leisure batteries, extra gas, and bikes etc. Also, is it for two people or a family.

Cheers,

Andrew

634 is a 2 person van. No rear seats or belts (y)

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

Another important factor! How many vans are out there with 4 beds but only 2 seat belts and the dealer has no interest in making that clear that only 2 people can travel.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That is a very good point sir(y) but it certainly pays to read the fine details when the Autotrail 634 home page states:

Revised layout offers greater flexibility
With a desirable rear lounge layout, the Apache 634 is an estabilished favourite. Available in both Hi-Line and Lo-Line variants, couples and families alike will find this a roomy and attractive motrohome.

The family must have to cling to the bike rack:D:D:D

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Good info Steve.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew, we are 2 adults with a 40kg lab. Four berth does not have extra travel seating options so useless really but we didn't need that. No tow bar or bikes, 1 battery, 2 x 6kg gas bottle, 1 x 13kg included in MIRO. I used AT weight calculator and with a tow bar and rear steadies, payload was negative. How can that be legal? We have the media pack II, auto box and engine upgrade as the only options but I don't think they add much weight. I knew what I was up against and had the info on how to combat the payload issue. However, even at 3850kg, you need to be careful. We loved the layout and made it work for us, it's a great van especially now the wife and dog are asleep and I am sipping a tinny in Wharfedale. Happy days, hope that helped :D2(y):D2

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back