Buying a year old camper van, how. (1 Viewer)

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Hi Funsters,
we are fancying a Euro Style Campervan something like this .
I was at the NEC show this weekend and got chatting with a bloke who has bought two motorhome this year, and as he thinks he has got it wrong again, was at the show looking again, hmmmm.
That proves to me that, even if I did know already that mistake purchases are out there.
Also it seems to be accepted that the moment a vehicle rolls of the forecourt it losses the VAT + a bit.
Therefore I am thinking the van in the link at 12 months with 1000 to 5000 miles should be worth £40k ish.
So what happens to these mistakes because I reckon that nice salesman will not be so nice when you return with your mistake, and in all fairness they can buy a brand new van from the manufacturer, so why should they pay a punter more they can buy the van for at trade.
So how do I find a year old mistake purchase. I was thinking maybe place an advert, XYZ Van wanted, circa 12 month old.
Anyone tried this, is it bad idea, is there a better way.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Have you had a look on Autotrader to see what's available? Its also worth keeping an eye on the for sale sectopn here, there have been some lovely vans for sale. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Are you saying if I bought that van, new I could run it for 3 years and lose less than 10%?
Would a factor be that anyone who bought a van 3 years ago have benefited from a stronger £ v € and now S/H there van has gained value because of this?

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Thanks keades is it OK to posted wanted ads on here, or do people with the benefit of Funster advice not make such errors :D

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You’re right about £ vs € .... so vans have risen hugely in price last few years and therefore second hand prices have been artificially inflated. Can’t see the pound recovering anytime soon ...

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Buy a new van, and as you drive it out the forecourt your value drops by 10-20%, AND you have all the troubles of getting the dealer to sort out any problem you have.
Better to purchase a van a couple of years old, under an iron clad warrantee BY THE DEALER!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi Funsters,
I was at the NEC show this weekend and got chatting with a bloke who has bought two motorhome this year, and as he thinks he has got it wrong again, was at the show looking again, hmmmm.
That proves to me that, even if I did know already that mistake purchases are out there.
Also it seems to be accepted that the moment a vehicle rolls of the forecourt it losses the VAT + a bit.
Therefore I am thinking the van in the link at 12 months with 1000 to 5000 miles should be worth £40k ish.
So what happens to these mistakes because I reckon that nice salesman will not be so nice when you return with your mistake, and in all fairness they can buy a brand new van from the manufacturer, so why should they pay a punter more they can buy the van for at trade.
So how do I find a year old mistake purchase. I was thinking maybe place an advert, XYZ Van wanted, circa 12 month old.
Anyone tried this, is it bad idea, is there a better way.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Hi
I was that man
You have a PM

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just make sure you don’t make a mistake purchase too. Fancying a van and buying one that suits you down to the ground are very different things.
There is lots of info on here about what to look for for your perfect van and buying a used one will be a little cheaper.
Don’t expect to lose only a few % if you sell it back to a dealer though if it’s not right, they are only interested in profit.

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Hi Cheshirecat57, I can see no PM. Something I learnt off you was to watch out for the Gangway width. Something else I have discovered is that the same manufacturer is making the same van under different names. Two I think are Hymer and Decleffs who have multiple brands, nothing wrong with this, but I do wonder if the price difference between some is the perceived value of a certain brand, rather anything intrinsic in the build quality.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The perceived wisdom on this forum seems to be that it takes 3 purchases to get the right motorhome! I am not sure I agree entirely with that, but I certainly would not recommend buying a new or nearly new moho first time round, because you stand to lose a lot if you do.

When we were looking for our first moho I did not want to spend too much because I was unsure whether or not we would take to motorhoming. And I thought I knew exactly what I wanted, but ended up buying something very different. We ended up buying a low mileage 5 year old C class for £30k. As it turned out it in the long run it was the correct basic layout we wanted, but still not quite right. When we come to buy the next one we knew what we wanted and were lucky enough to find an unregistered version with lots of extras that had been sitting at the Dealer's for a long time and now was at a very good price. And on top of that we got a p/x allowance of £28k for our old one. That meant we only lost £2k in two and a half years and after putting 15,000 miles on it. And if we had wanted to sell it ourselves rather than p/x I reckon we would probably have broken even.

So I would recommend you look at 5/6 year old models as a first motorhome That way you will not lose a lot if you choose the wrong one. There are plenty of dealers out there to visit to see what is available, so take your time. But when it comes to buying look at the dealer reviews on this forum, because there are good and bad ones. From what I have seen it is much better to buy from a good dealer further away from home than a bad one close by.

Oh and finally make sure you learn all about the importance of payload!!!!! :D2

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Hi Cheshirecat57. Here is the rude question in the British context. The first van,
  1. What was the list price
  2. What did you pay
  3. What did you get when you chopped it in
Second van
  1. What was the list
  2. What did you pay
  3. Did you P/X the first for the second.
Did the dealer on the secondhand, hide the loss on your first, by giving you a higher trade in, but rake it back by giving less discount on the second home you bought.

It is quite right and proper that dealers make money, I have, thats why I can be looking at M/Hs in the first place, so it would be rather hypercritical to slate dealers for trying to do the same.

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Peterc10

We could get some kind of Funster Mantra going,

When buying an MH, on the first day research, research, research, but do not rush.
When buying an MH, on the second day join Motorhome fun, and pay your, £15 but do not rush.
When buying an MH, on the third day look at Layout, Layout, Layout, but do not rush.
When buying an MH, on the fourth day remember at Payload,Payload, Payload, but do not rush.
When buying an MH, on the fifth day, measure your drive and look at Length, Length, Length, but do not rush.

I am just early in this process, but I am wise enough to know that in the context of Motorhomes, I know nowt ;-)

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi Cheshirecat57, I can see no PM. Something I learnt off you was to watch out for the Gangway width. Something else I have discovered is that the same manufacturer is making the same van under different names. Two I think are Hymer and Decleffs who have multiple brands, nothing wrong with this, but I do wonder if the price difference between some is the perceived value of a certain brand, rather anything intrinsic in the build quality.
Hi
Check your inbox- message sent this morning

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi Cheshirecat57. Here is the rude question in the British context. The first van,
  1. What was the list price
  2. What did you pay
  3. What did you get when you chopped it in
Second van
  1. What was the list
  2. What did you pay
  3. Did you P/X the first for the second.
Did the dealer on the secondhand, hide the loss on your first, by giving you a higher trade in, but rake it back by giving less discount on the second home you bought.

It is quite right and proper that dealers make money, I have, thats why I can be looking at M/Hs in the first place, so it would be rather hypercritical to slate dealers for trying to do the same.

Rude :D question 1
Van 1
List £53k ( with the bits)
Paid £47k
Px back to them at £38k against a discounted van
They marked it up at £44k and sold it, but I don't know how much for or what they gave the buyer for his £10 wheel-barrow
I am glad you agree that dealers have to make money

Must add that Dealer did NOTHING wrong, all my fault it was the wrong van layout for me/us. Made the error that a lot make and was seduced by perceived savings.

Rude :D question 2
Sensitive info at the moment, not for the full forum yet as I have closed a deal at the NEC on van 3 using Van 2 as p/x

Above all I can tell you one thing, DO NOT MAKE PRICE/DICOUNT/SAVING seduce you. I guarantee that focusing on not-losing-money will distract you away from the best-for-you van

Heavily discounted vans tend to have poor RVs as well ( see above)

And the "losing the VAT" on a new one is a myth- I can explain that as well if anyone is interested

CC57

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks keades is it OK to posted wanted ads on here, or do people with the benefit of Funster advice not make such errors :D

I wish :LOL:.we are on our 5th van in ten years:eek: but not as bad as the previous owner of our latest, he bought it in August had various mods done did 800 miles and I bought it in september(y)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
With the required research and an understanding of what you want to do with it you can get it right first time! I am not disagreeing that many people don't get it right and end up changing and losing cash but it can be done!

We spent just over 2.5 years searching/researching what we thought we needed, bought new (primarily because of payload issues) and have no intention of changing for a while. Had the van for over 3 years and very happy with it!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
To be honest, I can't be ar$ed haggling over trade in price / discount on new, I have a cost to me to change in mind and negotiate on that cost . I don't care what trade in I get or what discount they give me, it's how much cash it's costing me that's the main thing.
Spot on
Additionally cant be bothered trying to sell myself and all the idiots/chancers/fraudsters that might invade my space. But of course defend to the hilt someone who choses to do it that way

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Funsters,

That's a nice van but don't forget that is doesn't include any of the following options: DAB radio/TV and mount/ TV aerial/Solar panel/Awning/Tracker or alarm/reverse cameras/2nd habitation battery/alloys etc. If you add that lot via that particular company then your bill will raise by £3,800 before any final deal is made.

If you bought it for £50,000 (As an example) then your PX value in 12-months with a few thousand miles on the clock will be between £33-36,000 depending on the receiving dealer.

I'll give you an example of my first van purchase:

1. Autotrail Imala 620 Hi-Line fully kitted.
2. RRP: £51,000
3. End of season purchase: £46,500
4. The PX value given to me by the supplying dealer when the van was 2-months old and with only 350 miles on the clock: £36,000.
5. The dealer buy-back option after 2-months of ownership: £33,000

Total potential loss in 8-weeks: £13,500

Hope this helps;)

All the best,

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To be honest, I can't be ar$ed haggling over trade in price / discount on new, I have a cost to me to change in mind and negotiate on that cost . I don't care what trade in I get or what discount they give me, it's how much cash it's costing me that's the main thing.
That's exactly how I approach it too.

It may be than when trading in say a 3 year old van for a new one you 'only' lose eg £3k on your original purchase price BUT that's only because the cost of the new vans have gone up and so have the values of the used ones.

The ONLY time this becomes important IMV is if you sell your existing MH and don't intend to purchase at all, then the £3k 'loss' means you've had 3 years use for £1,000 a year (plus the usual running/servicing etc costs).

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
In my opinion, Rule #14 when buying a van is:

Nothing is perfect. You will never find a van that is perfect in every way. Decide how much you are willing to compromise or you will be changing it every 6 months for another imperfect van.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Nothing is perfect. You will never find a van that is perfect in every way. Decide how much you are willing to compromise or you will be changing it every 6 months for another imperfect van.

Yep, I totally agree Janine (y), plus there's the other issue whereby someone's personal circumstances/outlook will change and that will dictate the need to replace their van too.

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Hi Golly,
there is a concept called Information Asymmetry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_asymmetry . Basically the dealers know allsides of the deal, this is where a forum such as this can pay dividends.
Therefore, here is the Rude Question :)
What is the Van.
How much did the original buyer pay and how much did you pay, and was this from a dealer.

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
1. Autotrail Imala 620 Hi-Line fully kitted.
2. RRP: £51,000
3. End of season purchase: £46,500
4. The PX value given to me by the supplying dealer when the van was 2-months old and with only 350 miles on the clock: £36,000.
5. The dealer buy-back option after 2-months of ownership: £33,000

Andrew

You have me a tad confused with 4 and 5.
However lets say the van is "worth" 36 K after two months, if someone is in this position, and can show me the offer from the dealer, I would give them 2K more if its the van I want. For the PITA of dealing with me, they gain 2K. For the PITA of me doing HPI and paying somone to check it has not been pranged and maybe some other things, I gain £11K ish.
How do I and the first buyer connect.
I am thinking a wanted add on here.

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No

I would agree with this. There will be compromises of all kind, and we will have to decide which compromises we are prepared to accept.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For a first purchase to be "right" it all depends on what/how much research you do. We spent 18 months (okay we were not quite ready to buy) visiting shows, dealers etc. making lists of needed/wanted/liked/not liked to narrow it down. then we hired to prove a/ we liked motorhoming and b/ we'd chosen correctly. Took 2 hires but then we got lucky; visited local dealer as we were passing and though we were not averse to a new vehicle they had literally just taken in our ideal van, 2 years old with only 5000m, immaculate and loads of extras. And it was right on our target price. Sold.

The proof of the pudding is that we've still got that van nearly 10 years later and have no intention of changing it (although we have looked!).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would agree with this. There will be compromises of all kind, and we will have to decide which compromises we are prepared to accept.
But the problem is that, until you have lived with a motorhome for a while, you do not know what compromises are really important to you and what are not. All you can do is guess. A couple of examples. When we were first looking for a moho we thought that it was essential that it had a wind out awning. After two and half years of use we realised that an awning was not essential to the way the we used the motorhome. When we bought our first moho we were happy with the Truma blown air heating. Having lived with Alde wet system in our new motorhome, we would never buy another one without it.

We were lucky. It only took 2 goes to end up with our keeper. It will last us out I hope.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back