Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Hi all,

Yet another question from me. It’s all of your faults for being so helpful in response to my other posts!

We are really struggling to get insurance. The problem seems to be a combination of our postcode (central Nottingham), parking in the road, the fact that my wife had a couple of claims 3 years ago and because the vehicle we are looking at is over £50k.

It looks like it might help to get a tracker fitted (we already have a Thatcham 1 alarm on the vehicle we are looking at). The guy in the dealer was talking about a certificated tracker which comes with a level 5 (better) or level 6 certification. They seem to be at about £700 or £400 respectively with annual fees of £200or £175 respectively. This seems quite a lot of money - especially compared to some of the numbers I’ve seen On other threads here talking about tracking systems.

Does the tracking system have to be certificated for it to save you money on insurance? Where would I find some information or recommendations on what to consider to get the best value for my money?

Thanks a lot. Chris

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Every insurer who offer a discount for the tracker that we have used request or expect you to have a certificate. Often buying more than one year a time helps on the cost.

You might consider using a good storage facility for the van this may give more insurance options.

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
They’ve changed the classifications since January this year to S7 asset location (lower) and S5 vehicle tracking system (higher); S5+ is better again, having a driver ID system and ability to remote immobilise the vehicle. You can search whether a system is certified by Thatcham on their website. https://www.thatcham.org/thatcham-security-certifications/
If it isn’t on the list, it won’t be recognised by insurance companies.
S5 and 5+ seem to be more expensive than S7 but have more functionality, especially the driver ID system which alerts the monitoring station that the vehicle is moving without you in it, eg after key theft. It seems to me that S7 systems locate the vehicle after you have told the monitor station that it’s gone.
I’m still researching this for ours and I can’t see any better savings (so far) whether we install an S7 or pay a couple of hundred more on a S5 or S5+ - but you do get the peace of mind should the keys be stolen...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have used Safeguard for our 80K + van and they did not need a tracker although we do live out in the sticks, I would give them a call and see what they can do.???

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have a vodafone tracker combined with alarm, which was previously under the cobra brand. - couldnt get insurance without it, due to high value. When challenged insurers about it, as previous mh also high value it is becoming increasingly mandatory, some often setting limit as low as 50k. We live in the sticks with private land. One even wanted retractable posts installed which is plainly stupid as could drive around them! Anyway that said, exceedingly good experience with vodafone, husband forgot fob when went to get fuel, he got called immediately, but didnt pick up as driving. They then called my mobile, but didnt pick ip as didnt recognise number, so they then called landline - all within a couple of minutes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
I have the auto trail one , which is by Sargent £95 a year
not sure if you can get it as a standalone unit, might be worth giving sargent a bell

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Try:-
2getherinsurance

They only insure motorhomes. Very nice and easy to deal with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back