buying a second hand and just had a phone call about damp (1 Viewer)

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi after some advice really , we are in the process of buying a second motorhome from a dealer its been 6 weeks so far and just had a call to say they have found damp around one of the windows and one of the lockers.

They need to sort this and it will be at least another week

We have paid a deposit and am not sure now if I even want the van if its got damp issues, as our current van is fine. Not sure where we stand with our deposit if we pull out.

Any advice

Thanks Matt

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd look at the contract closely before you pull out. A little damp sorted out is not a problem, but if it's been damp for a while then there might be bigger problems down the road. A difficult decision, to help me make it I would go there and see the extent of it first.
If you decide to keep it..
Make sure that you have in writing a specific guaranteed undertaking that any damp found, or consequential damp damage over the next 12months will be rectified by them and at no cost to you.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think you should have good reason to ask for your deposit back. The dealer seems to be quite open about the damp, so may be happy to let you see and understand the nature of the problem. I'd be keen to know how the damp arose and what they were going to do to prevent a reoccurrence before continuing with the purchase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes, at least the dealer is being honest and doing the right thing by you...
Go and have a look and see what they are doing and why... Being made aware of it means you can be vigilant of it in the future... Seems like you may have a good dealer..? Could have easily let you have and argued about it later...

Edit: could also be worth a discount ..(y)

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Ok spoke with the dealer and the damp is in the garage and will require a new panel in the garage. About a days work .

All there second hand vans come with a 3 years warranty that includes damp if they do the hab check a very year, so feel a bit better about it now.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi after some advice really , we are in the process of buying a second motorhome from a dealer its been 6 weeks so far and just had a call to say they have found damp around one of the windows and one of the lockers.

They need to sort this and it will be at least another week

We have paid a deposit and am not sure now if I even want the van if its got damp issues, as our current van is fine. Not sure where we stand with our deposit if we pull out.

Any advice

Thanks Matt
Was the van advertised as having a damp problem ?
If not, this may be considered as a a significant variation to the contract that you entered in to, enabling you to cancel without loss.
I'd think long and hard before making a final decision.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Lots of vans for sale, get your deposit back and walk away

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
No not advertised as having damp, only found when doing the hab check.

Will give the van good check over when I go up there and see what the job looks like.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back