Free Member
Jan 14, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, my husband wants a motorhome for his 40th. We've never had one before but are looking to take one across to Europe for a 3 week tour. Will be 6K be enough to buy one and what recommendations have you got. We've got two children (4 and 6) and will probably staying in campsites as we drive through France to Italy, then back through Switzerland. Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks
Rhian

PS Just spotted a 6 berth Fiat Kontiki on ebay - 20 yrs old but only done 60K miles. Will it make it?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hiya welcome to the fun. yes it possibly would . like all things would need a good inspection.
just a quick thought . 3 weeks isnt long to go racing across euope for the first time . if you could maybe just restrict yourselves to france with might be a better idea. in summer campsites can be full. there are moor park ups that are free. aires just for m,homes. you can buy the book for them in any french super market . they are sold here but are expensive in uk.
anyway look at every m,home you see talk with the owners . visit everyb m,home dealer you can . you really need to try and find one that suits you . its said you buy two that dont first .i always used vw t2,s when my kids were young . later had a vw t25 hightop . but there is lots of choice out there.
lots will give advice take it all in . every one as different wants . but ask ,ask ask, sit in as many as you can. lie on the bed does it feel good. can you feel good times . stand at the cooker does it feel good . can you hear the kids laughing and having fun. if not move on .
but have fun and ask ask ask .

OP
OP
R

Rhian

Free Member
Jan 14, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many thanks for the advice, are there any makes / models you think I should keep away from?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
PS Just spotted a 6 berth Fiat Kontiki on ebay - 20 yrs old but only done 60K miles. Will it make it?

No reason wjy not, check for rust, make sure the cambelt has been changed, gear change tends to be a bit sloppy and make sure that the tyres are less than five years old.

Also check for damp around the roof area, join between cab and habitation roof

Good luck

Peter

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well i dont like fiats ,merc sprinters or transits. many do like them. but given your cash you are limited . might be you look at loads and just see what takes your fancy. untill you have looked we dont know what you might want. having said that have friends that take a talbot just about every year to morocco and its a 1986 vehicle .they bought it new . so they can all do it. if the one you mentioned is tidy . it might go on for years . drive slowly though they arent racing cars .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Will be 6K be enough to buy one

You'll have to be very very careful and it will help if you are great at DIY with homes and vehicles. At that price you could buy a piece of poo you will regret ever setting your eyes on or you could get a gem that someone has loved for years.

The good news is that older MHs were probably built better than new ones, some really sturdy ones out there.

As well as the usual ailments of cars, water is the killer for MHs, if it smells damp or you see damp discolouration best to run a mile.

Italy is not far, I think you can manage it in 3 weeks. Two stops gets you to Italy if you just want to get there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Gear change is sloppy on the long gear lever, it doesn't mean it's faulty though, they were all like it. Its a nice roomy van but do check for damp and corrosion on the wings and below the windscreen.
Also a lot didn't have powers steering so the steering is quite heavy, I suffered a lot of pain in the shoulders after crossing the alps twice.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As well as the driver and front passenger, your going to need 2 seat belts for the little ones so maybe make that a second consideration after your budget. You will be surprised how many big looking vans dont have seat belts to match the number of people it can sleep. Any thing with side facing seats can be ruled out.
Another tip, watch out for the 20 year age.. Some companies wont supply any breakdown cover once they are 20+ years. There are some that will but it's just a consideration.

Checkout selling websites like Gumtree, preloved..
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mercedes-autotrail-coachbuilt-motorhome/93981867
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...-showertoilet-12240-volt-full-cooker/94498806

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back