Buying a Motor Home for the First Time Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Pavb2

Free Member
Apr 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi All

I currently have a Swift/Sprite caravan but looking to part ex at a dealer and get a second hand Motor Home in September' ish, the long term plan is to tour Europe. I'm researching the internet trying to gain as much info as possible but acknowledge I will only get a better idea once I can get out to shows and to dealers.

The Sprite is considered to be an entry level caravan but I've had no problems with it so happy to get the Motor Home equivalent, is there is such a thing?

I want something reliable, 4/5 berth though there will only be me and the wife. Nothing too long length wise, about 6.5 metres preferably with a drop down bed as I'd rather have the living space. The Hymer 544 or Classic type etc seems to fit the bill as I like the kitchen at the back but this is not a dealbreaker. I know the Hymers are sought after and ultimately I'm going to be restricted to what is available at any given time so I know I'm going to have to compromise somewhere but also don't want to narrow my field too much by just sticking to one make or model. Are there any equivalents to the Hymer made by other manufacturer's?

So what is the oldest MH I should go for? Maximum mileage? Minimum /Max engine size? I don't mind L/H or R/H drive as it will probably be used 50% UK 50% Europe, so should I buy abroad? I know they are cheaper in Germany etc but likewise I appreciate resale value will be less.

Are there any makes to avoid? Dealers you can recommend?

Due to work I'm based in the midlands area. Budget will be £10k - £30K. The two motor homes below are examples of what I think I'm looking for.

http://www.westmidlandcaravans.co.u...s-avantgarde-200-motorhome-coventry-mk0070ab2

To my untrained eye the Royale seems decent for the price but is it too old?

http://www.westmidlandcaravans.co.uk/motorhomes/used-swift-royale-610-motorhome-coventry-mk1070dee

A lot of questions I know so any advice is much appreciated.

Deleted User
Now on our 3rd MH I recommend going to a busy campsite, when this is over, stroll around and chat to owners who usually will be more than willing to tell you the good and bad about their van. This way you'll also see them loaded instead of empty so you can ask about real payload instead of relying on the salesman's patter. Good luck with your choice.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Similar to the comment above - go to as many dealers of used MH's that you can and crawl all over, in and out of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you sign up and pay the subs you can download the document about buying a motorhome for Free. Think it's available to purchase but not sure how!

By the way welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi there .

As above...when this situation has been sorted with the Covid 19 issue ...stop at any site and just take note of what's about. Dont be put off by asking questions because we are all learning and most of us if not all of us like to chat and put a idea or two forward. If it helps a little bit...its been worth its while!
We have had a few to be honest, but that is because there is always something that would make us look again at what it was we had got .....and then....what we think...we need?
Often costs me my pension pot to be honest but ....for her indoors. It needs to be right!
Take your time and look at loads. You will feel that when you are in the correct one...something will bring about a warm feeling! No...You will not have peed yourself! But you will ....feel at Home!
Enjoy the trip and all the very best in the search for your motorhome.

1586362111208.png

Kev and Carolyn

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

If you don't mind buy abroad have a look here. We are on our third Hymer all have been imported but I've only bought new.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
If you are in the Midlands, have a look at :-

We bought our 2008 motorhome from Hayes , expensive , but they fixed every problem without a quibble. They have a good reputation.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We hired a couple before buying and toured France for 1/2 weeks to get the most accurate feel for the lifestyle and layout requirements. We'd tied ourselves in knots with all the available layouts before we actually tried some out and ended up with something we would have dismissed very early on had we not tried the different vans out. The glitzy bits soon get forgotten if the loo tank is to small

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
You have specified what you want, look the models that take your fancy and whether or not you can park it on your drive or happy to leave in a secure location. Motorhome Monthly and other publications have an index of layouts and price of current models as well as a rough guide to price. Then go onto the internet forums for those M/homes that have ticked your boxes and see which ones have issues over 1. Badly built/poor back up 2. Suffer from damp and or reliability issues . 3. What construction materials were used? At certain ages even marine ply will start to rot unless treated and more modern vans are more plastic based but again look for damp issues as many joints may fail over time. You are buying a machine that gets distorted and twisted on the road so some movement of joints is only to be expected. Cloth and interior trim can be changed a a minimal cost if you are half good with a sewing machine or know a friendly machinist, tastes change over the years . Personally I would avoid a smokers vehicle as they stink and it can be a nightmare to get rid of the smell (certain pets as well) Mileage should not be an issue, a motorhome at 5 years old with only 10,000 miles is to be not the top of your list, most base models are designed for at least a life span of 250,000 to 350,000 miles in five years so less use is bad use, a service history is essential but most vans are designed for 30,000 miles or two years for service . Get a BIG sheet of paper and tick off boxes and no no's and without offending some british makes of M home ( yes there are good ones out there) don't be dazzled by foreign makes . There are good and bad makes from all round the world , If you decide on a dealership then take into account for trade in values at one year old you take off 20% of the list price and then subtract between 5% and 10% per year after that for what a dealer makes on a vehicle so if he has it on sale at £35000 at 5 years old he has allowed between £30,000 to £27,000 trade in so you have £4,000 margin to play with if a cash sale and no trade in. if you sell your caravan privately, its a great bargaining chip and don't be afraid to lay your cards on the table, here's my offer, cash today take it or leave it and go for a coffee ' It may seem like a pfaff but if you don't think so let me have between £10,000 or £xx,xxx of your cash and welcome to the world of Motorhomes . There are loads out there don't be sucked in by the first one you see and good luck! I know it does not help but ask ask and ask again!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back