Buying a motor home and laws in Spain (1 Viewer)

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
help please
My brother lives in Spain and would also like to own and use a motor home over there.
Has anyone any info on EITHER buying in Spain or U.K. for use in Spain

1) Info on good reliable makes of older model MH (my brother is an older model too! Shhh don't let on! )
2) budget is small hence older model but could contemplate converting a van.
3) are there any specific laws he should know about .... lights, size, insurance or anything relevant please.
4) Spanish registration?m

Big thank you in advance !

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think converting a van is out of the question due to certificate of compliant rules.
A cert of comp will only be issued by a recognised converter.
Even France can be a problem if the hab door is on the left.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, get your brother to have a chat with dieter fron vwcampersonthego@yahoo.de
they are at alhaurin de la torre near malaga . dieter as been converting vans and trucks for years . he will be able to guide him. he is german but speaks good english . been a mate for best part of 20yrs .
tell him i recommended him . if he cant help then your really in trouble . cheers alan .

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If he is a Spanish resident he cannot drive anything foreign registered. If he is & buys a spanish one then he can drive it anywhere.
If he isn't a spanish resident but buys a spanish registered one then he can drive it anywhere except in the Uk (where I would assume he would be resident) Family could drive it anywhere except UK the same.
Also , especially with older ones, make sure it has all that is wanted fitted to it in the way of fog lights, driving lights, bull bars, side bars, tow bars , etc; as all have to be homologated & on the log book & to fit a tow bar to an older vehicle can sometimes require an additional "engineers project" so that it conforms to EU homologation.
Additionally none of these things can be fitted by any one other than a certified person who holds the correct piece of paper. You are paying for the fact that they have the piece of paper ,not that they are actually competent in installing it .:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If he is a Spanish resident he cannot drive anything foreign registered. If he is & buys a spanish one then he can drive it anywhere.
If he isn't a spanish resident but buys a spanish registered one then he can drive it anywhere except in the Uk (where I would assume he would be resident) Family could drive it anywhere except UK the same.

Really?

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Correct @gus-lopez and the other thing we found being non resident was the insurance company would not give us a green card so your only legal to be out of Spain for 30 days at a time. :)
They have you over a barrel and once you become residents it's another ball game as Gus said. :eek: Also motorhomes and cars are expensive in Spain . :LOL: Bob.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes.
A resident of a any country can only drive a vehicle registered in that country. I.e a UK resident can only drive a UK reg. one when in the UK. Same for all EU states.Only exceptions are 'professional drivers' & car hire employee's returning cross border hire vehicles.

Correct @gus-lopez and the other thing we found being non resident was the insurance company would not give us a green card so your only legal to be out of Spain for 30 days at a time. :)
They have you over a barrel and once you become residents it's another ball game as Gus said. :eek: Also motorhomes and cars are expensive in Spain . :LOL: Bob.

Never heard of the non-res bit but thinking about it it does make sense.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So I cannot buy and bring a Spanish registered car to the UK for 5 months (as a uk resident)?.

No, not legally,nor for 1 day. Having said that many do ,oblivious to the law ,as are many of the police.
Unless you stumble across one who actually knows the law, or are involved in an rta with injuries where it would all come to light, or are involved in an rta where the other person knows the law, then it is unlikely to come to light. If it is though the best is the vehicle will be seized until either transported back out of the UK or you find a Spanish national/registered spanish resident to collect the car.

It is only in recent years that they have all been starting to crack down on it. Funny because when I went into it all a few years ago with the EU/DVLA ,etc; it turned out the the EU directive has been in force from 1983. :D

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So, as a non resident of Spain and currently Resident in my country of Birth (UK).

I visit my house in Spain for 7 months of the year.

My Options are:

A) Take my UK car out for just 6 Months
B) Take my car out and swap it before the 6 months deadline
C) Buy a Spanish Registered car and leave it in Spain for 5 months unused.

If I become resident in Spain, I can drive my car outside Spain?

TM

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@TeeMyob I visit my house in Spain for 7 months of the year.

Then you are classed as residents, and should register. :)
Then you have to drive a spanish registered vehicles, change your licence and have private health insurance. :eek:

This is what you should do, we are non resident, and try and leave after 6 months. :LOL: Bob.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back