Free Member
Nov 29, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we're a young family with a couple of young kids looking to buy a MH for a 6 month trip around Europe next year. We've got £20k to spend, and think we need a 6 berth, maybe with a garage. What should we look out for when buying? Any tips gratefully received, however obvious you think they might be!
We've considered a LHD, but would this be harder to sell?
Has anyone done a similar trip?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Adequate payload ?

Enough space to park it at home ?

Full / part / no service history ?

Full / part / no habitation service history ?

Tyre condition ? = age of tyres is as important as wear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
All of the above , and check any mh you may choose for damp.

If you become a full member cost 15 pounds,cheap in the grand scheme of owning a mh , you can download the motor home buyers guide (y)

And a big :welcome4:by the way.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Before buying, make a list of what is most important for your needs. I guess 6 berth would be high on the list. Storage for clothes and food including bed linen. Washing facilities and cooking could also be important but before any of these considerations check for damp. Damp can be more expensive than mere welding or engine problems. Most dealers should be able to arrange a damp test, if they cannot; walk away. One of the best detection tools can be your nose, if the van has an odd or unpleasant odour; walk away. Sometime dealers and sellers will spray deodorant or open windows to disperse any smells. I personally open ever cupboard to smell inside, the smell should be pleasant and often a little woody.
Good luck and remember that not all vans are perfect for your every need.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
rule 1, learn the art of compromise before you start looking

often you set your heart on the mythical perfect van, which never existed. You start searching and fine a few vans near what you want but turn them down and move on. months later you say to yourself "I wish we had bought that van before" only to find it sold soon after you saw it

good vans are out there but so are plenty of cash buyers. Plus then you have to dodge the multitude of scammers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Goinforawander

Free Member
Nov 29, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had no idea 6 berths would be over 3.5 tons, and having passed my test in May 97 I've just missed out on automatically having class C1. It looks costly to obtain it now (over £1k) but it may be unavoidable unless we cram in a smaller MH.

We figure condition is more important than age at this price, and also more miles is not necessarily a bad thing. Time to look at a few and see if the layout works....

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Good luck with looking and try to look at as many as you can, as there are so many different layouts. With children, space to lounge might be a consideration for those rainy days when your possibly stuck inside, you'll be thankful for it. Hope you find THE perfect one. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Don't believe anyone that says fitting extra seatbelts is simple and cheap.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
It would be worth spending the money on getting your C1 as then your options are greater. With a family on an extended trip you will need the space and extra payload.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and a big :welcome3:,maybe an option to firstly try a 3.5 t with an awning or tent for the youngsters,they may enjoy the adventure of having their own space,putting it up etc.
Just a thought,whatever you do enjoy the forum and whatever you decide as you have seen always loads of help and info here.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Look for an older Hobby
Our 2nd van was a G reg left hooker brought in from Germany. Cost us 8K and was a six berth with plenty of payload :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Goinforawander

Free Member
Nov 29, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again, so we found what seemed like the perfect MH, a Chausson Flash 05. Took a damp meter along on the 2nd inspection and the overcab area had a damp patch that looks to be where the leading roof panel meets the main roof. Back to square one....!
The Chausson appealed due to weight at 3.1t, giving us 400kg payload, rear bunk layout being perfect for the 2 young kids whilst leaving us seating/dining area at night, and it was within our £20k budget.
Any suggestions on alternative makes that would offer something similar?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think 400kg payload is anything like enough for a family of 4. Realistically I don't think a 3.5t is viable for a family of 4.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
overcab area had a damp patch that looks to be where the leading roof panel meets the main roof. Back to square one....!

Why ?

A little damp might be nothing, get a proper opinion on it. You will be lucky to buy a SH MH with no damp showing. It's a question of how bad. Can be as simple as condensation.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would second the above is it damp or condensation?. Good time of year to but I recon and if you get one that looks good maybe get a hab check from a dealer then you will know the gas is safe . I don't know what reading on a damp meter raises concern but it certainly isn't zero!!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
400 kg sounds like a lot but when two adults get in that's 150kg gone to start with .. Add a little water and your 400kg is down to 200Kg .. Now you add on the kids 30kg and all the food and toys and books etc. Then you find out that the manufacturer didn't add in the Awning into the figures as they weigh about 40kg or the spare wheel. Then you need the bikes ..... Then you are over weight .... Then if you are overweight the Police are unhappy and you find if you have an accident that your Insurance Company will not be happy.

Edit ..

Nearly forgot .. Gas Canisters , BBQ , BBQ Fuel , Deck Chairs , Outside Table ..... Etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When we had 4 kids (plus a big dog) we bought a Renault Trafic van with side windows, fitted seats & belts and bought a caravan. In total this came to approx £3k (1988). We didn't get on to the Continent but we saw a lot of the UK, staying on campsites then using the van to get down to the beach/local museum/launderette. We had a pitch which we knew we could come back to, even leaving the oldest ones to their own devices at times. The awning provided plenty of relaxation space, a convenient cooking area and a secure place for the dog to sleep (in a cage). Perhaps it is worth considering the alternative, especially as getting your C1 will cost a fair amount? Gordon

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
We figure condition is more important than age at this price, and also more miles is not necessarily a bad thing. Time to look at a few and see if the layout works....

Agree, age & mileage isn't an issue (and to me actually a bonus) but make sure it has a good history.

One suggestion - once you come up with the layout you think you want I'd recommend renting one with a similar layout before you buy - very glad we did as we would have ended up buying the wrong van as we found out things we thought were 'must have' actually weren't that important and other things we hadn't even considered became more important.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
6 Berths automatically over 3.5 tonnes? Sorry, but that's nonsense.

The 6 berth we've just traded in was 3.5 tonne, and 4 of the beds were fixed (ie permanently out) - an overcab double and two rear bunks. Broken Link Removed - a popular selling model according to the dealer who took it off us. You'd get a second hand one a few years old for £20K or less. Other models are available of course.

The bonus with fixed beds is the kids have some personal space, without having to convert a bed from something else like a settee or dinette.

You might struggle to get a tall garage with 6 berths, but ours had a decent amount of garage space under the lower rear bunk, full width. You'd need to put bikes on a rear rack. You'd also need to be careful with how much clobber you took. Kids might have to sleep alongside their personal luggage - ours were OK, even into their early 20s.

Think about layout first - that will narrow down your choice of models and allow you to focus on a few. You can get some surprisingly low mileage vehicles too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think 400kg payload is anything like enough for a family of 4. Realistically I don't think a 3.5t is viable for a family of 4 I recon you need 600-700
400 kg sounds like a lot but when two adults get in that's 150kg gone to start with .. Add a little water and your 400kg is down to 200Kg .. Now you add on the kids 30kg and all the food and toys and books etc. Then you find out that the manufacturer didn't add in the Awning into the figures as they weigh about 40kg or the spare wheel. Then you need the bikes ..... Then you are over weight .... Then if you are overweight the Police are unhappy and you find if you have an accident that your Insurance Company will not be happy.

Edit ..

Nearly forgot .. Gas Canisters , BBQ , BBQ Fuel , Deck Chairs , Outside Table ..... Etc
Totally agree after a few years experience we wouldn't consider a van with less than 600kg payload for two of us that is about the minimum that we consider workable. If you are always going to stay on sites and run with empty tanks a couple of hundred kilos less is workable but spoils the fun of motorhoming, last place we want to stay is on sites. New van on order has about 1200-1300kg payload.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had no idea 6 berths would be over 3.5 tons, and having passed my test in May 97 I've just missed out on automatically having class C1. It looks costly to obtain it now (over £1k) but it may be unavoidable unless we cram in a smaller MH.

Ci Riviera 141 6 berth 3.5.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How about a 6 berth m/h with a trailer for the ramall. The standard licence allows vehicle up to 3500kg plus trailer to 750kg. Could start without a trailer with the knowledge you could get one later if required maybe having a towbar already fitted could tip the choice of m/h but if you get one a few yaers old could get non type approved which would be cheaper.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's worth checking the manufacturer's smallprint regarding Mass In Running Order versus Payload, as MRO may include some items like driver, gas cylinder, fuel and so on.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Our experience is that rear bunks are a good idea with kids - but watch the layout - when I was looking around it seemed that bunks that went widthways across the back of the van were a decent size, but ones where the bunks were in the back corner running front to back were nearly always very small, no good for older kids. They grow up quickly - my daughter, at age 12, is already 5'5", not sure she'd fit in some of the smaller bunks now!

The other thing we found, which it looks you've already realised, is having somewhere for the adults to sit in warmth & comfort once the kids are in bed is paramount. 5 of us fit in a 7 berth just nicely - we have a 2x2 double dinette and a 1x1 single dinette opposite each other at the front of our van - so it's the 2 eldest kids in the bunks at the back, Mum & Dad in the overcab bed, and the youngest offspring in the single dinette, folded down to make a small single bed. I've put a curtain around that to screen it off, so we sit at the double dinette once the kids are all in bed.

Some 6 berths have 3 x doubles, which look pretty useless if you have kids like ours who couldn't share a bed, and with one double bed each for your kids you'd have nowhere to sit - plus be careful because I've spotted that quite often converting the dinette seats into a bed on vans means extending them sideways and blocking access to the ladder to the overcab double........

Ours was plated at 3.5t when I got it, which was hopeless - a trip to the weighbridge empty with just me and one of the kids in and it was over 3300kg! So I've replated to 4t, which to be honest we still struggle to stay beneath, but it's as high as I could go on the chassis that I've got - and that was with fitting air assisted rear suspension, without that it would have been 3850kg. I passed my test in 1990 though, so I've got C1 automatically.

This layout is not too far removed from ours, and I think would work really well with 2 kids (look in the description - more pictures than Ebay show). Kids are well away at the back of the van for some separation at night time. You wouldn't need to bother with ever turning the dinette into a bed, if you & your other half are happy over the cab, which is a nice big bed - no headroom so a little "coffin-like" at first, but we got used to that very quickly. You get a decent size fridge freezer, enough table space, and some worktop space. The garage space underneath the rear bottom bunk is invaluable. Only downside I can see is the table sits 3 next to it, so one person needs to sit on the sofa opposite.

Link Removed

Renault base van is a little unusual, not sure what they're like - Fiat Ducato's are by far the most common, Ford Transit's coming second.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back