Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We've had 3 MHs and test driven all three, first one was a private sale, the next 2 were dealers.
There's no way either of us would buy without a test drive!

Reactions: maz
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I did test drive my last van - round the storage site.

If I had taken it on the road I wouldn't have bought it - no power - which is probably why he sold it so soon after buying it.

On the way home I investigated and eventually found that the throttle cable had pulled through - fixed it and it pulls like a train.

The seller advertised it with new batteries. When I collected it 2 days later I didn't check the van, later discovered old batteries and no gas cylinder.

I've had it for 3 years now and still pleased with it

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I spoke to Comfort just now and the only way that a prospective buyer would be comprehensively covered to test drive my van is if they are temporarily added to my insurance. This would cost £40, provided they are over 30 and have no driving convictions. Comfort would need full details of the prospective buyer but they could then be added immediately over the phone.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Personally if I were parting with £40k to £50k plus for a van and the seller refused me an accompanied test drive, then I'd immediately assume they had something to hide.

BTW Maz did you test drive the van when you first bought it?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
If people turn up after reading your advert for the van and want to test drive it how do you check their insurance in writing, it would take days for that to come through.what if they wanted it there and then and willing to part with cash.
Well, how you accept payment for a motorhome is another matter. I'd never accept cash - and if you advertise on e-bay you'll get a number of people offering to turn up with a bag of cash, 'if the price is right'! :LOL: Maybe this is off-topic, but I'd only ever accept payment by bank transfer. (others may disagree :oops:)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I spoke to Comfort just now and the only way that a prospective buyer would be comprehensively covered to test drive my van is if they are temporarily added to my insurance. This would cost £40, provided they are over 30 and have no driving convictions. Comfort would need full details of the prospective buyer but they could then be added immediately over the phone.

And if something should happen you will be claiming off your insurance, that would put a marker against you and cost you in the future.

I cant see an issue for some one who wants to buy taking out temporary insurance so they can drive.
Its something I would be willing to pay for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
That's interesting, that you have that option. Sounds a simple process if someone is really keen on the van, and will certainly put off time wasters!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Personally if I were parting with £40k to £50k plus for a van and the seller refused me an accompanied test drive, then I'd immediately assume they had something to hide.

BTW Maz did you test drive the van when you first bought it?
From all the replies to this thread, I'm certainly leaning towards letting a prospective buyer have an accompanied test drive but I want them to be fully insured to do so.

I know there is nothing to hide (but obviously they don't) so I am thinking maybe suggest that a serious buyer pays the £40 to add them to my insurance. If they subsequently buy the van, then I will knock the £40 off the price.

Yes, I did test drive the van when I bought it but that was from a dealer.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
And if something should happen you will be claiming off your insurance, that would put a marker against you and cost you in the future.

I cant see an issue for some one who wants to buy taking out temporary insurance so they can drive.
Its something I would be willing to pay for.

Having to make a claim is perhaps not that much of an issue for me. I won't be buying another motorhome as we're moving into a boat to live, and as we'll be continuously cruising we won't even have a car.

The thing is that the only way for a prospective buyer to be comprehensively insured for a test drive is to add them to my insurance. It's not something they can take out for themselves.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I did test drive my last van - round the storage site.

If I had taken it on the road I wouldn't have bought it - no power - which is probably why he sold it so soon after buying it.

On the way home I investigated and eventually found that the throttle cable had pulled through - fixed it and it pulls like a train.

The seller advertised it with new batteries. When I collected it 2 days later I didn't check the van, later discovered old batteries and no gas cylinder.

I've had it for 3 years now and still pleased with it
I didn't think of asking for a test drive, but the chap I bought it off took me for a drive, you can get a feel of a vehicle just by sitting in the passenger seat. Very pleasant chap he was too. :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I hate selling stuff.... always worried that something will go wrong with it, when I sold my
Rapido to @Silver-Fox i took them for a long drive and said if there was anything he wanted me to do in the van like tight turns and brakes to see if there was any knocking or whines, also went on different types of road.... didn't really think about insurance but if he wanted to drive and had appropriate insurance then that wouldn't have been a problem.
I'm very honest and told them if there was anything they should be aware off.

When I've bought I think it's better to sit around the van as that way you can concentrate on what's going on with it as they drive around

I've been done over on buying a Motorhome and I wouldn't want anyone else to know how it feels on account of me..

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I think the responsibility of providing adequate insurance cover to your van lies with you and not anyone else. If someone asked me to pay to be added to their insurance policy I'd ask them to cover my fuel costs of getting there and then I'd start to wonder if the lightbulbs would be removed at time of collection.

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Having just been to look at a van not a MH and the seller told me it was all ok, I travelled almost 200 miles to view, he wasn`t that keen on me test driving, it became apparent on me driving it the gearbox was knackered, he seemed surprised, a lucky escape had I not test driven it an expensive one. Some people eh.

I was insured for the drive, I had added the vehicle to my policy, I took a cert of insurance, would have been happy for him to ring the insurance to check it was legit before letting me drive.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We bought ours from a dealer who not only let us drive it, but let us put it on a weighbridge that was a couple of miles away to confirm all the weights etc!

Three counties motorhomes (they may have changed names now) in Poole - very good experience from start to finish. (y)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
[QUOTE="vin.egan, post: 2409933, member: 34757]

I was insured for the drive, I had added the vehicle to my policy, I took a cert of insurance, would have been happy for him to ring the insurance to check it was legit before letting me drive.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but what were you insured for? Was it third party only? According to Comfort the only way for comprehensive insurance is to add a buyer to my insurance.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't know how to get round this, but no way would I buy any vehicle without physically test driving. What feels like a comfortable driving position may be anyting but once you start. So for me no test drive, no sale.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The thing is that the only way for a prospective buyer to be comprehensively insured for a test drive is to add them to my insurance. It's not something they can take out for themselves.

I took out short term full comp insurance when we went to buy a car way down in Cornwall.
Obviously we had two cars to get back so SWMBO in ours and me driving the new to us car.

Think it cost around £20 for two days. Seems expensive long term but for only a couple of days well worth it I think :D

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Well, from what I've read some of you seem to be able to get fully comprehensive insurance on other people's vehicles, so I guess I'll just wait and see what any prospective buyer wants to do. However, I will be checking that insurance with Comfort before anyone actually gets behind the wheel.

Thanks again for all the replies. :)

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
[QUOTE="vin.egan, post: 2409933, member: 34757]

I was insured for the drive, I had added the vehicle to my policy, I took a cert of insurance, would have been happy for him to ring the insurance to check it was legit before letting me drive.
Yes, but what were you insured for? Was it third party only? According to Comfort the only way for comprehensive insurance is to add a buyer to my insurance.[/QUOTE]

I have fully comprehensive insurance. Its a trade policy that allows me to drive anything, fully comp.

Yes you`d be mad not to check, any decent prospective buyer would understand you calling the insurer.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we bought our van (from a dealer) if Joe hadn't driven it we wouldn't even of got a test drive as the salesman didn't have a C1 licence!
Certainly wouldn't have bought without a test drive.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My next question relating to selling a motorhome:

I'm not at all happy about any prospective buyer taking my beloved van out for a test drive. I'll happily drive it with them in the passenger seat but would be very reluctant to let them get behind the wheel. Even if they're clutching a certificate of insurance - how do I know it's real and that they haven't printed it out themselves?

What have other Funster sellers done when faced with this dilemma?
On this I've always had double standards and I don't care lol.

When selling I drive the potential buyer in passenger seat ....once paid for he's welcome to drive it ....home.

When buying...if I don't get to drive it I ain't buying it lol

Yep double standards but I don't care, I had someone crash a car once when I was selling it he walked away I had to take him to court I won yet I still never got the money.

If I crash something while test driving it I'm honest enough to pay for it.

I don't trust anyone else to do the same.

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
Well, from what I've read some of you seem to be able to get fully comprehensive insurance on other people's vehicles, so I guess I'll just wait and see what any prospective buyer wants to do. However, I will be checking that insurance with Comfort before anyone actually gets behind the wheel.

Thanks again for all the replies. :)
So maz what happened when you sold your van did the buyer drive the van?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back