buy new for warranty security, or buy used and save on depeciation but risk repair costs (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We could never afford new, so that't one half of the questioned answered. ;)

We bought our six year old tandem axle Hymer eleven years ago, and the only genuine "breakdown" was in Narbonne Plage, when the immobiliser on the diesel pump failed to respond to the signal from the ignition key. All sorted and reprogrammed, and we were on our way again. (y)

We've not taken out any warranty cover in the past, but do have annual breakdown cover. We've renewed both roof seals, 2 x rooflights, Heki rubber seal, twin box exhaust, N/S front drive shaft, alternator, air con pulley, crankcase breather, rear handbrake cables x 2, plus items which are part and parcel of routine servicing. Oh yes, and she's had a new engine at around 53,000Kms.
At seventeen years old, she's looking good, and runs a treat. (y) It pays to look after them properly ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
A new engine at 53k! Why

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The 64 dollar question eh? How good is the second hand van?

As I was showing our first Ebay enquirer around our van just now it occurred to me... "why could I not find a seller like me when I wanted to buy a van?" ......... coz if I had, I would have bought a 3 year old van :)

I realise that the next owner of my van will have 'everything I have in a van NOW' at much less than I paid for it :eek: Which is a flippin good, German built PVC with a full history and one careful owner:)

Ah well, I am happy to have had 3 years trouble free fun out of it since new, so it has been a fair trade off :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Buying new can have benefits & so can buying secondhand - if you're very careful & choose a well loved, fully serviced MH with a comprehensive warranty.

We prefer / almost insist that any vehicle we buy secondhand has a low mileage for year, full service history, a decent warranty & we only buy from reputable dealers.

The extra we may pay buys peace of mind.

Each to their own preferences really.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Getting the best possible price when buying can not only reduce or eliminate future depreciation in the short term said:
Sorry I have to disagree the drive out of the showroom is the most expensive drive of your life
Long term you can negate some loss but short term never with a new vehicle
Drive it 10 mile and take it back, say you dont like it, ask him how much for cash
if you aint lost 6k-10k in 20 mins:eek: i will eat my front tyre's:LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Buying new can have benefits & so can buying secondhand - if you're very careful & choose a well loved, fully serviced MH with a comprehensive warranty.

We prefer / almost insist that any vehicle we buy secondhand has a low mileage for year, full service history, a decent warranty & we only buy from reputable dealers.

The extra we may pay buys peace of mind.

Each to their own preferences really.

Although I bought with my heart first not head, it is a Mercedes it was 3 years old and only done 2100 miles, it is now being suggested that the low use possibly contributed to early failure, but then no doubt had it done 82000 they would say the opposite (y)

My next one will be from a dealer and probably less than 12 months old with manufacturers warranty left at least :)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Although I bought with my heart first not head, it is a Mercedes it was 3 years old and only done 2100 miles, it is now being suggested that the low use possibly contributed to early failure, but then no doubt had it done 82000 they would say the opposite (y)

My next one will be from a dealer and probably less than 12 months old with manufacturers warranty left at least :)

What failed ? Not the engine surely ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Why do you want another? You have just got this one as you like it, I'd stick to it , you are talking a lot of money to swap , can't you get an after sales warrenty on this one?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why do you want another? You have just got this one as you like it, I'd stick to it , you are talking a lot of money to swap , can't you get an after sales warrenty on this one?

eventually, I will have another, but we were already talking about changing due to our high level rear transverse bed, getting my bulk on and off is getting harder by the week

buying a new MH is easier than losing 10 stone :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What failed ? Not the engine surely ?

I thought I had shared my woes with the world. Just seen you are a newbie, welcome in BTW

We had a partial turbo failure, that caused limp mode issues and took an age to diagnose fully (long story) then it was a nightmare for the Mercedes agents to get access as we have a Hymer A class with a letter box bonnet access, they had to remove the gearbox to reach the turbo, we have spent over £5K getting it fixed, this doesn't include servicing, tyres, etc. but at least it is fixed now :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
eventually, I will have another, but we were already talking about changing due to our high level rear transverse bed, getting my bulk on and off is getting harder by the week

buying a new MH is easier than losing 10 stone :LOL:
Just been a ride to penkridge market so thought we would have a look in here, don't useualy bother as we have no intention of ever swooping ours
Broken Link Removed
Well to say I am gobsmacked is way to tame, honestly never saw one I'd swop ours for, various reasons, fixed bed, no cooker, too big, but some of them are hundred grand more than ours(n), but when people say they are having to wait months I can't understand it , there are brand new carthegos and Hobbes lined ready to go, at a price.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks for the welcome . . sorry I was unaware . . I do know that DPF equipped vehicles don't like frequent low mileage journeys.

Good to hear you have it fixed :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just been a ride to penkridge market so thought we would have a look in here, don't useualy bother as we have no intention of ever swooping ours
Broken Link Removed
Well to say I am gobsmacked is way to tame, honestly never saw one I'd swop ours for, various reasons, fixed bed, no cooker, too big, but some of them are hundred grand more than ours(n), but when people say they are having to wait months I can't understand it , there are brand new carthegos and Hobbes lined ready to go, at a price.

stop it, you told me I shouldn't be changing :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You would need a lot of repair costs to be cheaper to buy new. The reason people buy new is they like the fell and prestige of a new motorhome. When we were very young we bought a secondhand bed someone said to me they wouldnt fancy that much but I pointed out that not many people insist on anew bed when they stay in a hotel and the beds in hotels see lots of different people and probably a lot of action!!!. Its funny how we all tend to have ideas about what feels nice new/used in many minds appears to be clean/grubby but logically why but new(we did got a good deal and trade in)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back