Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi friends, I am about to become a newbie and will be traveling aprox 9- 10 months per year, we recently saw a Dethleff 7057 witch my wife liked, have could anyone tell me where to buy a new one from uk or have you any advice...thank you

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would advise you NOT to buy new if you re a newbie. We all go into motorhoming with a bit of a wish list and then when you start actually using it you are likely to find that some of your preconceptions do not fit the way you thought: You do/do not use the garage, you do/ do not like the front/rear lounge, you love the French Bed/ you find it a bit narrow etc etc

I'm always surprised how many people are reluctant to ask for a test drive.

IMHO it generally takes people at least 2 vans to find the right one and sometimes many more, We met someone who had had 7 vans in 7 years?? Its far less painless to trade up/move on a good secondhand MH than trade in a 1 year old one.

My recommendation for a newbie, secondhand Hymer - every single time

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I would advise you NOT to buy new if you re a newbie. We all go into motorhoming with a bit of a wish list and then when you start actually using it you are likely to find that some of your preconceptions do not fit the way you thought: You do/do not use the garage, you do/ do not like the front/rear lounge, you love the French Bed/ you find it a bit narrow etc etc

IMHO it generally takes people at least 2 vans to find the right one and sometimes many more, We met someone who had had 7 vans in 7 years?? Its far less painless to trade up/move on a good secondhand MH than trade in a 1 year old one.

Jon
good advice i am on my 3rd

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie

Jon

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you Jonesgood....we have been to dealerships and trying different models, if it were left to my wife, it would be like,, nice bed!...like the curtains !...we'll have this one ..lol...but I am more thorough..we have looked at second hand ones and my friend who's a long time MHomer did advise on buying German as you suggested ...it just happened that the new Dethleff fell into our price range and had over £6,000 worth of extra's ....we still have a few months before we can actually buy one but will look at more Hymler's as you suggested ,,,thank you

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you Jonesgood....we have been to dealerships and trying different models, if it were left to my wife, it would be like,, nice bed!...like the curtains !...we'll have this one ..lol...but I am more thorough..we have looked at second hand ones and my friend who's a long time MHomer did advise on buying German as you suggested ...it just happened that the new Dethleff fell into our price range and had over £6,000 worth of extra's ....we still have a few months before we can actually buy one but will look at more Hymler's as you suggested ,,,thank you
Just be aware that the stated value of the extras is often higher than they would cost you to have put on ... the dealer will have included their labour costs which aren't cheap and often use the highest price for the items themselves to make you think you're getting a good deal, often included are things you don't want too ... basically don't let 'extras' sway you into buying.

Also you say you are going to travel for 9-10 months a year so make sure that HOW you use it day to day, and where you want to take it, is realistic - a nice large MH is great for when you're stationary but can be a pain in the bum if you want to go off and explore places along smaller roads etc.

Oh, and welcome to the fun house! :D

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just be aware that the stated value of the extras is often higher than they would cost you to have put on ... the dealer will have included their labour costs which aren't cheap and often use the highest price for the items themselves to make you think you're getting a good deal, often included are things you don't want too ... basically don't let 'extras' sway you into buying.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Ellie,

You could always do what we did with our first new van, i.e. buy it, sleep in it for a few nights and then sell it a month later because it was the wrong set-up for us.

A mistake like this does wonders for reducing your bank balance :D

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Ellie,

You could always do what we did with our first new van, i.e. buy it, sleep in it for a few nights and then sell it a month later because it was the wrong set-up for us.

A mistake like this does wonders for reducing your bank balance :D

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you ...tbh it's the first MH my wife felt comfortable in..and we've been in about 100 atm lol

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@Ellie
Thank you ...tbh it's the first MH my wife felt comfortable in..and we've been in about 100 atm lol
If you click on quote (bottom right) you can just type your reply you dont need to double post :)

If you are going to long term , look at payload as you tend to need more for longer term use , also this is very dependent on mgw , and that has license ramifications . The 7057 quotes payload around 450kg , thats before things like you mention eg sat dish , extra battery solar etc

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Another for the do not buy new for yiur first motorhome camp.

You will and I guarantee it wish later you hadn't.

Doesn't matter how many you have looked at you will always view with rose tinted glasses and if you buy a new one you will either have to endure the things you discover doesn't suit you or sell it at a great loss.
Even if you buy one that's 2 or 3 years old you will save yourself a lot of money.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We were pretty much sure of the layout we wanted when first looking. We then hired a motorhome with the kind of layout we fancied to make sure it would work in practice.
Off the top of my head I think it cost us about £800 to hire for a week but well worth it as it reinforced what we thought we wanted and we felt confident enough to go and purchase a brand new motorhome.

18 months later, we can't really think of anything we would change about the layout and having looked at the 2018 models, haven't seen anything that has a better layout for our needs. (y)

In my opinion, if you are sure you know what you want, then hiring a motorhome of a similar layout will confirm or disprove your assumptions and may just help avoid a costly mistake.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I should just add, its not just the layout you want to check but make sure you have enough space to park it at home if that is your plan.

Whatever space you think it will need, it will need more! We are lucky to be able to park our 8.6m tag axle at home but it takes up at least a 10m x 4m space to be able to open lockers on both sides and put the bikes on the back. It needs even more space when it requires a wash...

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Ellie

If you click on quote (bottom right) you can just type your reply you dont need to double post :)

If you are going to long term , look at payload as you tend to need more for longer term use , also this is very dependent on mgw , and that has license ramifications . The 7057 quotes payload around 450kg , thats before things like you mention eg sat dish , extra battery solar etc
thank you ,I will look into that

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Another for the do not buy new for yiur first motorhome camp.

You will and I guarantee it wish later you hadn't.

Doesn't matter how many you have looked at you will always view with rose tinted glasses and if you buy a new one you will either have to endure the things you discover doesn't suit you or sell it at a great loss.
Even if you buy one that's 2 or 3 years old you will save yourself a lot of money.
thanks ,,I will tell the missus whilst throwing her chocolates..lol
We were pretty much sure of the layout we wanted when first looking. We then hired a motorhome with the kind of layout we fancied to make sure it would work in practice.
Off the top of my head I think it cost us about £800 to hire for a week but well worth it as it reinforced what we thought we wanted and we felt confident enough to go and purchase a brand new motorhome.

18 months later, we can't really think of anything we would change about the layout and having looked at the 2018 models, haven't seen anything that has a better layout for our needs. (y)

In my opinion, if you are sure you know what you want, then hiring a motorhome of a similar layout will confirm or disprove your assumptions and may just help avoid a costly mistake.
my wife was really unsure which one we wanted but when she saw the 7057 she was sure ...fingers crossed ,,,gulp!!!!
I should just add, its not just the layout you want to check but make sure you have enough space to park it at home if that is your plan.

Whatever space you think it will need, it will need more! We are lucky to be able to park our 8.6m tag axle at home but it takes up at least a 10m x 4m space to be able to open lockers on both sides and put the bikes on the back. It needs even more space when it requires a wash...
I have a drive at my sisters house where we will be staying

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Unfortunately buying your first motorhome is like all those other hurdles in life where people will give you advice
Such as

Don't eat too much sweets you'll be sick.

Your sex life's ruined once you get married.

Don't touch the fire it burns

Etc etc etc

But in truth you will do what you want to do in the end and you only ever learn when you get it wrong lol

Unfortunately some of the lessons can be very very expensive.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
You can get it right first time if and this is the crux, if you do the research and read, read and view loads of vehicles.

Don't buy on a whim. We bought ours 3 years ago, new and got 90+% of it right. Will we change it, probably in about 3 to 4 years. Mind you took us 2 to 3 years of research and visiting many shows!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think Dethleff are now a Hymer brand. One owner I met recently said that his A class Dethleff was made on the same production line as my Hymer A class.
They have been part of the Hymer group since the 90's they operate independently as a separate company.
The only production line they share is for their budget ranges , Crado & Sunlight where they set up a new factory in Dresden.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Unfortunately buying your first motorhome is like all those other hurdles in life where people will give you advice
Such as

Don't eat too much sweets you'll be sick.

Your sex life's ruined once you get married.

Don't touch the fire it burns

Etc etc etc

But in truth you will do what you want to do in the end and you only ever learn when you get it wrong lol

Unfortunately some of the lessons can be very very expensive.

and most of the examples you give turn out to be true :LOL::LOL:(y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Ellie,

The full timers on FUN may be able to comment further but if you want to register this van at 3,500kg then you may only have circa 350-400kg of realtime payload to play with (I.e. once you have awnings and extra batteries and solar units fitted).

Cheers,

Andrew

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
We’ve ordered a 7057 Dbm trend and we are due to collect it in late June. We have had several new caravans and after plenty of research and plenty of miles we made the decision to buy a new one at last years NEC.
We’ve ordered it with 150 bhp engine, alloys, 3850 kg payload, 120w solar panel, design pack, alarm, tracker, outside gas point 4.5 m awning and a sat dish with tv.
We where really impressed just how well everything seemed to be fitted and the quality of the fixtures and fittings, that’s why we took the plunge and bought it.
Speaking to a dealer last week they had no production left for 2018 but I’m not sure if that’s salesman speak for no discount.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Even the colour can be wrong. When we bought our first motorhome we convinced ourselves that ivory leather and fabric upholstery would be OK with a dog! :rolleyes:.... It wasn't !!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Even the colour can be wrong. When we bought our first motorhome we convinced ourselves that ivory leather and fabric upholstery would be OK with a dog! :rolleyes:.... It wasn't !!!
I have beige suede upholstery somewhere under the pile of throws covering it becsuse you look at it wrong and it's dirty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back