Buy in UK or Spain (1 Viewer)

Dec 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
None
We plan on retiring soon and moving to Spain, travelling around in a MH until we decide where we want to settle, expect this to be around 90 days. Would like your views on whether best to buy UK and sell in UK,.or buy in Spain and sell in Spain, or to rent long term (would have 2 dogs with us which would potentially impact rental as an option)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 1968'ish
98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

I'm lead to belive you would have to pay Spanish import duty (?) if a UK van
But dearer if buying a Spanish van.
I could be wrong šŸ¤”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We live in Spain, and took our old motorhome back to the UK and sold it, got a good price and even though it was European built but being RHD would have devalued it, and it's expensive to repatriate vehicles and it's even harder since brexit, we got our replacement in Germany. šŸ™‚

:welco:
UK would be the cheaper option Spain has a 10% duty on Motorhomes, also if its Spainish registered anything you need doing to it has to be done by a professional.

Who's to know.
Yes Lenny is right, any extra things fitted need to be done by a professional , for instance we wanted a towbar contacted a company that made them, they give you a list of places that fit their products and they fit it, your then giving paperwork and go to the vehicle testing centre who add it to your log book. šŸ˜
So yes Spain is far stricter than the UK, all extras should be done like that, even though I fitted my solar panels and refillable bottle it could fail the mot test and some have, if it does it would need to be checked and pay for the paperwork then visit the test centre and be added. šŸ˜ Bob.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Isnā€™t the op. Looking to use a motorhome for travelling around looking for a place or region they like and then looking to buy a property?
If thatā€™s the case they may be better renting a motorhome, be easier to get shot of when they find a home.

Upvote 1

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Isnā€™t the op. Looking to use a motorhome for travelling around looking for a place or region they like and then looking to buy a property?
If thatā€™s the case they may be better renting a motorhome, be easier to get shot of when they find a home.

I would think the cost of renting long weeks/months? Would eat into any savings then a big IF they were allowed to travel outside the UK with it.
Better to buy a reliable cheepy then resell when finally jumping/settled into Spanish property living.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We have older friends who retired to Spain years ago. They have just returned to UK to live as they canā€™t stand the summer heat at 40C.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back