Buy and keep MH in Spain while living in UK? (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2020
Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm planning on buying a motorhome, probably in 2021. I'm doing a lot of research at present. I will be buying a second-hand vehicle.

The ideal way for me to do it, I think, is to buy it in Spain and keep it in Spain.

I've been looking at discussions about this here and at other places on the Internet.

I get the impression that if the vehicle is registered in the UK then it has to come back to the UK for an MOT every year. Also it could only be in Spain for six months at a time.

I do know people who have a villa in Spain and a car there in Spain while at the same time they have their home in the UK. So I am thinking that what I would need really is an address in Spain.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to register and insure the vehicle in Spain using a PO Box or something like that?

If need be I could keep the vehicle in Spain for six months and then bring it back to the UK for six months. However I think it would be easier just to keep it in Spain all the time.

Anyway I'd appreciate any comments to put me in the right direction for research.

Thank you!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think Abbeygate are in Spain and typically use an underwriter in Madrid. There is another insurer who is in Gib whose name escapes me at the moment, sorry. Both are good and I usually play one of against another annually, Abbeygate always trumps but needs a push!
Ibex ?

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
It is quite possible to be 'resident' without being a 'tax resident' & a 'tax resident' without being a 'resident'

We are just going through the process of residency, and understand that as a proviso of residency, you will be residing in Spain for more than 183 days per year. As such the tax residency starts when you have been resident in Spain for more than 183 days in the tax year. Although it appears feasible to not be tax resident as well as resident, it is very difficult to convince the Spanish tax office!

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I don't think you'll need a Spanish social security number to be resident and without a social security number I don't see how the Hacienda would have any interest in the matter

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I don't think you'll need a Spanish social security number to be resident and without a social security number I don't see how the Hacienda would have any interest in the matter
My understanding is that you need an NIE to get a residence (a house or apartment etc) and you need a residence to apply for residency. The NIE is not a social security number, though will be used to identify you if you become a resident and then apply for social security.

Of course anyone could go to Spain, stay in a hotel and then do whatever they want under the radar, but from my experience without an NIE we found it difficult to do anything of consequence. Telephone, broadband, car and bike purchase etc.

Registering for tax at the hacienda is voluntary, but like debts against a property, tax claims against a person can accrue whether you have registered or not, and the penalties can be painful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Absolutely, an NIE is essential if you want any long-term worthwhile existence in Spain. An NIE is definitely not a social security number. Nor is having an NIE of any interest to the tax authorities.

But you need a social security number to work and you cannot get any social security without a social security number but that's of no interest to the OP as I understand all he wants to do is own and insure a vehicle in Spain. He has no intention of renting/buying a property, simply using a friends address as a springboard. He wants to stay legal by having the vehicle registered and insured.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
He has no intention of renting/buying a property, simply using a friends address as a springboard. He wants to stay legal by having the vehicle registered and insured.
I believe you mentioned social security not me (or was it in a post I missed?), but, and again from my experience experience, it was not possible to register a Spanish vehicle (or even buy it in Spain) without having my NIE. Are you suggesting it is possible to do that?

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
No I'm not suggesting it's possible to register a vehicle in Spain without an NIE. Both UK vehicles I've registered here required an NIE. I mentioned social security number not social security and I only mentioned that because of an earlier post that was 'tax obligation' related that shouldn't be of concern to the OP as his proposed economic activity would not extend as far as working/earning money in Spain.

Actually, If I've re-read the post and the OP is talking about PO boxes, that is not going to work

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and understand that as a proviso of residency, you will be residing in Spain for more than 183 days per year.
No under EU rules, which we still are, you are required to registeras a resident if staying for more than 90 days.Nothing to do with tax office whatsoever.
As to use of a PO box it might be possible BUT , Trafico , who are the equivalent of the dvla whilst being the motoring side of the Guardia civil, will not send any official information whatsoever to a PO box number , even if you are a homeowner , resident ,tax paying whatever. They do not do it .They only post to an actual property.

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
When I first registered a vehicle in Spain I was staying at my sisters flat in Torrevieja. To get the padron certificate she wrote a letter (in English !) to the Empadronamiento Office saying I was staying there and enclosed her electric utility bill with the address. This is the first step towards getting an NIE.

The empadronamiento is a certificate given to justify that you live in Spain on a more or less permanent basis. This allows the local government to calculate how many people are living in an area and helps them to petition for grants to improve local facilities.

I think all the OP has to do is get one of his friends to do the same.

Upvote 0

Youngy

Free Member
Sep 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
I have been having a similar dilemma as I wanted to keep a Campervan in Spain as I have an apartment there and an NIE No. so no problem buying there (on Spanish plates). I found the price of Campervans there to be rather expensive and looked at ways of taking an English Campervan there and leaving it from time to time. I eventually decided to buy a UK registered campervan and take it there from time to time for say 2-3 months but return to the UK myself by plane because I want to spend a week or so each time in the van (without having to drive back to the UK). The problem I have come up against it getting insurance (in the UK) where I can leave the van at Malaga airport when I return (a taxi costs 200 Euro return to my apartment so want to leave the van there). I have only come across one company that will allow me to leave the van in Spain when I return (Sterling Insurance) but the insurance cost is twice the amount (£600 - although not too bad) and the caveat (main problem) is they want it stored in a "Camper Parking storage location" in Malaga when I leave it there (I can't find such a place). If anyone knows of how I can insure it in the UK but leave it at Malaga airport (in any car park) let me know (I can post separately if you want). I also wanted to warn you of this potential problem in case you decide to take a UK registered van there but leave it there sometimes.

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I found the price of Campervans there to be rather expensive

Campervans are a new concept for the Spanish as they much prefer caravans and tents, hence the prices. You could import from Germany. I would try Abbeygate Insurance

+34 951 277 455

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Nothing is known to be an easy process in Spain.

For a lot of things you need both the NIE and the empadronamiento certificate. The empadronamiento certificate is only valid for three months, so you have to go back and apply again for another one every time you want to open a new bank account, get a different phone contract etc

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back