Buy a Burstner A class with 'mild' damp? (1 Viewer)

Bre

Free Member
Dec 6, 2017
Funster No
Hello again helpful MHFunsters,

After my previous threads, the wife and I are looking at Burstners, both here and on mobile.de.

I have come across 2 A class with 'mild' damp problems, photos attached.

I do repair work for a living, so I am not adverse to taking on a small project. I am adverse to spending months and £1000's on a project.

So do any of you have an opinion, or even better, experience, on the extent of the work as shown in the problems?

Besides 'run away', which I am happy for you to say.

Let the yelling begin.

And thank you ahead of time for your time.
DSCN1072.JPG
DSCN1073.JPG
IMG_8311.jpg
IMG_8312.jpg
IMG_8313.jpg
IMG_8314.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only my two penerth... I have bought and repaired two damp vans ...first was soaking wet and I bought it for a good half it' worth...after doing it I should have paid about a quarter of what it was worth ... second was again half price ish but not bad damp wise and very easy fix ...wish I could buy one a month :xwink: Anything damp needs to be very cheap or walk ... once damp is sealed ie no more water getting in it takes months to dry out unless you take the boards off and replace all visable damp ....repairs are easy to do just takes time :xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bre

Free Member
Dec 6, 2017
Funster No
Is the 2004 van an ‘Elegance’?
If so, £17,000 is remarkably cheap and would suggest that the van has much more than cosmetic issues...
What does a tidy, average mileage 2004 Elegance retail for, I’m guessing around £25k???
No one discounts that much without good reason...

https://www.caravansforsale.co.uk/m...-i591-3-berth-2006-motorhomes-for-sale/683802
He says they don't do repairs, and as it is RHD he only wants to sell it to another dealer or export. There appear to be a few saying something similar when they have one that needs attention.
But it would still have to be less before I would even look at it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bre

Free Member
Dec 6, 2017
Funster No
Only my two penerth... I have bought and repaired two damp vans ...first was soaking wet and I bought it for a good half it' worth...after doing it I should have paid about a quarter of what it was worth ... second was again half price ish but not bad damp wise and very easy fix ...wish I could buy one a month :xwink: Anything damp needs to be very cheap or walk ... once damp is sealed ie no more water getting in it takes months to dry out unless you take the boards off and replace all visable damp ....repairs are easy to do just takes time :xgrin:
Thanks for that. You should see an earlier post of mine in this thread on page 1 that has a MH that has BIG damp problems, it looks like someone has already taken it apart for you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hello again helpful MHFunsters,

After my previous threads, the wife and I are looking at Burstners, both here and on mobile.de.

I have come across 2 A class with 'mild' damp problems, photos attached.

I do repair work for a living, so I am not adverse to taking on a small project. I am adverse to spending months and £1000's on a project.

So do any of you have an opinion, or even better, experience, on the extent of the work as shown in the problems?

Besides 'run away', which I am happy for you to say.

Let the yelling begin.

And thank you ahead of time for your time.
View attachment 201686 View attachment 201688 View attachment 201689 View attachment 201690 View attachment 201691 View attachment 201692
Hi there BR, I’d be inclined to say Run,and very fast too, have had experience of damp in a previous van of mine, an Adria, the WHOLE side of the van was damp and that occurred in a very short space of time, van was totally ruined by it, Damp in a van is a cancer and as has already been said it’s probably the tip of the iceberg, leave well alone,there’s plenty of vans out there for just a few pounds more,unless you relish the thought of spending lots of time and money trying to remedy the problem, personally I would rather spend the time enjoying the use of the van,rather than working on it. Gwyntaxi

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Beware the overpowering smell of air freshener when looking at a used MH. A trick of the trade to disguise the damp smell.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's like buying an accident damaged car or an old classic for repairing.
It depends on 2 things
Your ability to do the necessary work ...And the price.

If it's cheap enough and within your abilities then it could be a good buy for you.
If you need to pay someone else to repair it and want to use it straight away then I'd recommend buying something else as the pics of the passenger side look pretty serious and I doubt that's just condensation .

I've had one motorhome in the past that had damp and it was riddled ....i took a gamble and I was lucky it worked out and I used it a year and sold it on with little problems.

Don't think I'd buy another tjough

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back