Butlins - Honest views please! (1 Viewer)

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Hello
I have spent the morning investigating where might be a good holiday for just me and the kids (9,6 and 3) during July when my hubby is working but I am off with the kids. We are heading off to France for 3 week in August as our real summer holiday and don't normally do the whole commercial campsite thing.
However the kids were watching the Butlins ad on TV and they said they wanted to go!
I think the facilities and entertainment seems like it would keep them occupied but I am worried about is the other folk that go there. We have been to Haggerston castle and Craig tara and they were full of drunken louts who can't string a sentence together without swearing,who leave the kids to fend for themselves in packs (am I being too strong with that observation?)
Anyway is Butlins like that? Also will it be safe for just me and kids?
It would be £390 for the week so it far from cheap and I don't want to spend that if we end up hating it.
Your honest thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
Viki

PamandKeith

Free Member
Oct 11, 2008
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
12 years
My friend's daughter took her family to Butlins at Minehead last year and the year before. They have two young children and they absolutely loved it. Lots for the children to do and good evening entertainment. They didn't have a bad word to say about it. They went in the school holidays too so it was at its busiest.

Pam

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think its a bit like Marmite - You either love it or hate it.

Personally I hate it but then my wife tells me I am a miserable git.

Kids love it thats for sure and if you can go to early entertainment in the evening I think you will be fine. I think the later it gets the more noisy and raucous it gets.

As I say not my cup of tea but some people love it.

You will definately be safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The kids will love it, they are at the age when it will be great for them. Our daughter now 14 still says her couple of stays at Butlins were something she will never forget.

When we went we had the Noddy bedroom and her face was a picture when we walked into it!!

OP
OP
V

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the replies,
Yes I was thinking if we don't stay out too late we should be fine.
Does anyone know if we can use the bikes to get around as I am presuming the campsite will be a bit away from the main activities?
Around £55 per night it is nearly the most expensive campsite we have stayed on so will have to try and find out if there is anyway to get a discount - any ideas?
Thanks
VIki

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have been to Haggerston castle and Craig tara and they were full of drunken louts who can't string a sentence together without swearing,who leave the kids to fend for themselves in packs (am I being too strong with that observation?)

We had 1 night at Havens "flag ship" Primrose valley. Which i understand used to be Butlins.
The place its self was clean the chalets / portocabins looked ok. Some of them quite luxurious , and privately owned. We stayed in our MH in the touring section well away from everything.
Thank goodness:winky:
But the clientèle were just as you described.
Going out for the night at 5pm , getting completely rat faced ( we stayed on a Wed night too , granted it was school holls) whilst there kids ran amock.
It was an eye opener.
Had to tell the kids off for nudging each other and saying look ,look.
Incase we got thumped:ROFLMAO:
If we could get one of those £5 anight deals, we'd go again . Just using the place to empty the poo , all have a swim and a long hot shower, and hook up for the night. But not for a £35 one night stop over again. Especially in a school holiday. Different areas may be better though. It was packed to the brim , so lots do like places like it.
But for us Jeremy Kyle's waiting room sprung to mind.
Even our kids prefered the usual cl sites , with the odd adventure play ground, or a local swimming baths.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have been watching this post and was a little retisant to respond.

I wouldnt go to Butlins for a big clock. Its like stepping back in time. Its dirty, disorgaised and not a great deal of fun.

The last one we went to was Minehead and it will be the last.

Its been a long time since we went to Butlins and things may have improved but I woudnt bet on it.

Been to a couple of Haven Parks and they were fine, ish.

Jim
:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We had 1 night at Havens "flag ship" Primrose valley. Which i understand used to be Butlins.

Butlins was actually further south but only 1/2mile.
now demolished and a private housing developement built.

been to primrose on many occasions doing breakdowns and have to agree....a fair few 'guests' , but not all by any means, are there for the booze and nothing else, knowing their kids cant stray far.

i, for one, wouldnt even consider staying there, or any other major holiday park.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Butlins was actually further south but only 1/2mile.
now demolished and a private housing developement built.

been to primrose on many occasions doing breakdowns and have to agree....a fair few 'guests' , but not all by any means, are there for the booze and nothing else, knowing their kids cant stray far.

i, for one, wouldnt even consider staying there, or any other major holiday park.

Had some great hols at Filey when the kids were little. Nuthin posh but had a great time. First heard Manhatten Transfer there in the Regency bar..superb.:thumb:

Have to say there was a lot of H2O in the beer.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I thought the idea of a motorhome was to get away from such awful places........I think both you and your children would be better of on a simpler site enjoying simpler pleasures.....

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It would be lovely to get away from it all if you could be guaranteed good weather. But to be in cold, damp weather with children who may get bored is awful and could put them off motorhoming for life.

There are good and bad at all places (I have had bad experience at a country pub site in the middle of the countryside). IF something goes wrong and there is rowdiness then complain and leave stating that you want your money back as you brought the kiddies to a place which advertises itself as child friendly..... and then try out the local CL sites which would save you a fortune. Check if there is a park and ride and this can take you all free of charge to local points of interest .... many child-orientated.

Although not my first choice, I have had a stay in a HAVEN holiday park and although I didn't have children with me I appreciated that it had brilliant facilities for families and it was situated so that I could walk through the park and into the countryside and the scenic views across the sea.... I loved it. There was a brilliant bus service because the park was there and I could go into local villages and towns..... and I am sure that they don't cost £55 a night even with hook up... The people on the site varied in personality and although there were some who I was a bit dubious about there were many really nice people. It might be worth you bearing them in mind.

Don't forget the games and books just in case the weather is bad and the place isn't what you want to venture out in.

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
My kids loved Butlins and I never had a bad holiday there but it is about 16yrs since I stayed there. Never had problems as they have their own security team. Our favourite was Minehead with lovely countryside nearby and a lovely little town a short walk away. Shame if it has changed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My Honest opinion ..

brought up six kids on camping holidays and have never been nor would I ever consider going to a Butlins or any other big organised site ..

Kids love camping, they love the freedom of a beach, a river, cycling, etc etc .. why go to a man made facility when there is soooo many natural things to do ..

As for bad weather.. so what , that's what water proof clothes are for, you can still do lots of things, go to a local swimming pool, rock pool fishing, visit a castle, go on a boat or train trip or other local attraction .. like the Eden project

Sorry, you did say an honest opinion .. and I mean no disrespect, but Butlins is the last place I'd take kids ..

A good compromise is a site with some facilities for adults and kids, indoor pool , games room etc , where you can ALL enjoy being on holiday as a family..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi been to several Haven sites, Kiln Park, Devon cliffs, Burnham on Sea, Doniford Bay and Thorpe Park. Never had any trouble at any of them, all have good facilities for adults and children. Even better now theirs no smoking inside. ::bigsmile:

There not for everybody, and there not for us every time, but you can get some super deals out of season, and sometimes on bank holidays.

Olley

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I agree with Olley, the Haven site in Cornwall that we use, out of season, in the quiet is ace. We love it, but would not go within 50 miles of it during chavtastic 6 week.

But back to the OP question,. BUTLINS,

we have been to one in Skegness when the kids were younger, there now 13-12. It was about 7 years ago, it was a bikers bash so not the normal granted. But we had an absoloute ball. Loved it, every second of it.

The price you quote is quite cheap, but dont forget to add on the arcade money. :winky:

All I would say is, A) you will be safe and B) give it a go, as said you will either love or Hate.:thumb:

OP
OP
V

viks10

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for all the replies, very mixed!
I am now thinking we will give it a try, due to our kids ages and the fact I am going myself, it is easier to have stuff for the kids to do. We are in Scotland and only ever do the quiet sites, mainly in the rain and just get on with it. But as this trip is going to be just me thats not so easy having the 3 year old in tow and trying to keep the older ones amused. Will report back with my findings and also what the kids thought.

Decided to take a few weeks so will visit Cornwall, Micheal monument, eden project etc to get a balance! Then hubby is going to fly down to meet us - so we are getting 5 weeks holiday - yipeeeeeee! So excited
Thanks again and better get back to work to pay for it!
Viki
PS Aren't Motorhomes just great!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back